Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default is there a long term solution ?

Is there any long term solution to the problem of sealing between a bath and the tile surround.
It seems that every couple of years the last magic answer fails and I have to strip it all out and start again,
I seem to have tried most varieties of sealant but none last long term.
Has anyone found the answer?
What is the current favourite type?
My ideal bathroom would be tanked with scuppers in a tiled floor as they appear to do in Spain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"fred" wrote:
Is there any long term solution to the problem of sealing between a bath
and the tile surround.
It seems that every couple of years the last magic answer fails and I have
to strip it all out and start again,
I seem to have tried most varieties of sealant but none last long term.
Has anyone found the answer?
What is the current favourite type?
My ideal bathroom would be tanked with scuppers in a tiled floor as they
appear to do in Spain

If yours is an acrylic bath then acrylic baths move and so the sealant
fails. I fitted a Teleseal and that has fixed the problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 01/11/2012 23:01, Rob Miller wrote:

If yours is an acrylic bath then acrylic baths move and so the sealant
fails. I fitted a Teleseal and that has fixed the problem.

+1 for Teleseal, fitted about 4 years ago still appears to be fine.

A little difficult to retro-fit though, I guess
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/11/2012 22:50, fred wrote:
Is there any long term solution to the problem of sealing between a bath and the tile surround.
It seems that every couple of years the last magic answer fails and I have to strip it all out and start again,
I seem to have tried most varieties of sealant but none last long term.
Has anyone found the answer?
What is the current favourite type?
My ideal bathroom would be tanked with scuppers in a tiled floor as they appear to do in Spain

Perhaps you have too much movement for the size of bead of sealant?

A wider bead, and the opld trick of filling the bath with water prior to
sealing may help.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/11/12 00:39, John Rumm wrote:
On 01/11/2012 22:50, fred wrote:
Is there any long term solution to the problem of sealing between a
bath and the tile surround.
It seems that every couple of years the last magic answer fails and I
have to strip it all out and start again,
I seem to have tried most varieties of sealant but none last long term.
Has anyone found the answer?
What is the current favourite type?
My ideal bathroom would be tanked with scuppers in a tiled floor as
they appear to do in Spain

Perhaps you have too much movement for the size of bead of sealant?

A wider bead, and the opld trick of filling the bath with water prior to
sealing may help.

or my trick, of glueing slabs of MDF to the bath sides and strips of
lumber under the rim, with car body filler, to stiffen it.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, November 1, 2012 10:50:53 PM UTC, fred wrote:

Is there any long term solution to the problem of sealing between a bath and the tile surround.
It seems that every couple of years the last magic answer fails and I have to strip it all out and start again,
I seem to have tried most varieties of sealant but none last long term.
Has anyone found the answer?
What is the current favourite type?
My ideal bathroom would be tanked with scuppers in a tiled floor as they appear to do in Spain

I don't think there's any sealant type that can cope with the movement. A silicone bead's abilty to cope with movement is quite small. Plastic strip with a rubbery edge works much better.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 1, 10:50*pm, fred wrote:
Is there any long term solution to the problem of sealing between a bath and the tile surround.
It seems that every couple of years the last magic answer fails and I have to strip it all out and start again,
I seem to have tried most varieties of sealant but none last long term.
Has anyone found the answer?
What is the current favourite type?
My ideal bathroom would be tanked with scuppers in a tiled floor as they appear to do in Spain

Another trick you can do is to put additional support under the bath.
(Bricks,bits of wood.)

I have been told that if you have a very thick silicon bead, rather
than stretch it peels off the bath.
A thinner bead will stretch better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes

On Friday, November 2, 2012 9:07:16 AM UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
Maybe someone can make one huge mould of a bathroom in its entirity, and

just attach it on the back of a house.

Brian

--

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

"fred" wrote in message

Is there any long term solution to the problem of sealing between a bath

and the tile surround.

It seems that every couple of years the last magic answer fails and I have

to strip it all out and start again,

I seem to have tried most varieties of sealant but none last long term.

Has anyone found the answer?

What is the current favourite type?

My ideal bathroom would be tanked with scuppers in a tiled floor as they

appear to do in Spain

Yes, I've seen complete bathroom packages, (i.e.) the completer room, walls, floor, ceiling, the etire gubbins just wire it up and plumb it in, stacked on a site awaiting installation into a new apartment block

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/11/2012 22:50, fred wrote:
Is there any long term solution to the problem of sealing between a
bath and the tile surround.
It seems that every couple of years the last magic answer fails and I
have to strip it all out and start again,
I seem to have tried most varieties of sealant but none last long term.
Has anyone found the answer?
What is the current favourite type?
My ideal bathroom would be tanked with scuppers in a tiled floor as
they appear to do in Spain

Perhaps you have too much movement for the size of bead of sealant?

A wider bead, and the opld trick of filling the bath with water prior to
sealing may help.

or my trick, of glueing slabs of MDF to the bath sides and strips of
lumber under the rim, with car body filler, to stiffen it.

Yup, no harm in stiffening up the bath. You can do both.

(I like to chop out the wall a bit so that the bath sits in a slot -
makes it more rigid, and also less likely to end up with a water trap
where the toll edge meets the wall).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/11/2012 08:42, harry wrote:
On Nov 1, 10:50 pm, fred wrote:
Is there any long term solution to the problem of sealing between a bath and the tile surround.
It seems that every couple of years the last magic answer fails and I have to strip it all out and start again,
I seem to have tried most varieties of sealant but none last long term.
Has anyone found the answer?
What is the current favourite type?
My ideal bathroom would be tanked with scuppers in a tiled floor as they appear to do in Spain

Another trick you can do is to put additional support under the bath.
(Bricks,bits of wood.)

I have been told that if you have a very thick silicon bead, rather
than stretch it peels off the bath.
A thinner bead will stretch better.

It depends on what you mean by thickness. It helps if you have enough
thickness in the key for the bead in the first place. i.e. if tiling
down to a bath, leave a least a tile thickness gap. Then you can inject
silicone right into the crack and it will perform much better than just
a small cosmetic bead stuck in the corner without any real key.

Silicone can usually only reliably cope with movement around 10 to 15%
of its total thickness. So if you have a 10mm thick bead, that only
allows it to stretch to 11mm before you will see adhesion failure. It
also performs better in compression, hence why the water filling trick
can result in it being under compression when the bath is empty, and
relaxed when full (in preference to relaxed when empty, and stretched
when full).

Using a low modulus silicone can help if there is more movement than you
would like.

When shaping the bead try to avoid feathering it too thinly at the edge,
else this will usually result in the edge getting lifted when it is
cleaned.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 10:32:44 +0000, stuart noble wrote:

Yes, I've seen complete bathroom packages, (i.e.) the completer room,
walls, floor, ceiling, the etire gubbins just wire it up and plumb it
in, stacked on a site awaiting installation into a new apartment
block

I want one

Contact the Ibis hotel chain. All their ensuite room bathrooms are of
that sort. Nasty creaky plastic things...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 09:07:15 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

Maybe someone can make one huge mould of a bathroom in its entirity, and
just attach it on the back of a house.

Washing in fungus? That'll never catch on!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 2 Nov 2012 09:07:15 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Maybe someone can make one huge mould of a bathroom in its entirity, and
just attach it on the back of a house.

Brian

Some firms already supply modular bathrooms for use in the
construction of Hotels of the Premier Inn , Travelodge type.
Cruise ship cabins are usually assembled elsewhere as well and craned
into the hull as it is constructed.

G.Harman

Junior Member

Location: USA

My favorite bath room's floor will be made with the glass stuff and the walls will be made crystals work.Just imagine that you are standing on a glass made roof and below that you can get a view of world's precious and expansive fishes(so a fish tank will be under the roof)...
Just imagine and how do you find this
Byron Quarter

Last edited by SteveJ : March 25th 13 at 05:55 AM