Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boiler controls changed

We've just had our annual boiler service done and when I asked the guy
if it had a clean bill of health, he said yes but it needed a bit of
tweaking to get the emissions to where they should be.

I've just been in the loft to move stuff back to where it was and I
noticed that he's altered both the hot water and central heating
controls on the boiler. The guy who installed it five years ago set
both controls to No.7 (they go from 1 to 9) and they've never been
altered since, neither by me or by any engineer who's serviced the
boiler, but today's engineer has moved both controls to No.9

Now, I freely admit that I'm no heating engineer but for most things in
life, if you turn something up to maximum, then you use more of
something. Given gas prices and especially the latest round of ripping
off, sorry, price increases, I don't want to be using more gas than I
have to. Our heating and hot water have always been hot enough for us
with the controls set at No.7, so can I turn them back down, or is
there some engineering reason (to do with the emissions and tweaking he
had to do) to leave them at max?

Cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John writes:
[...]

If this is the boiler temperature, you want it to be as low as
possible, whilst it can still maintain the house temperature.
That's the most efficient for boiler operation (particularly
for a condensing boiler).

The trouble is that this ideal setting changes when the outdoor
temperature changes, and whilst you're heating the house up from
cold, and in some cases if it's also running a hot water cylinder.
So in practice, you'll want it a bit higher than the ideal setting
so you don't have to keep adjusting it, particularly if that means
a trip up to the loft each time..

Boilers with weather compensation do this adjustment automatically
for you, to keep the boiler operating at its most efficient
temperature all the time (in theory).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

在 2012年10月16日星期二UTC+8下午8时24分12 ,John写道:
[...]

http://www.uggsaustraliaoutlet.co.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel formulated on Tuesday :
In article ,
John writes:
[...]

Thanks Andrew, I'll turn them back down then I think.

Boiler controls help mike. buckley[_2_] UK diy 12 May 16th 20 07:13 PM
Boiler controls [email protected] UK diy 2 December 16th 07 10:38 PM
CH Boiler Controls Jeff UK diy 12 April 1st 06 12:08 AM
Boiler Controls - CH/DHW BeavistheCat UK diy 6 March 30th 06 10:17 AM
Boiler controls Dave UK diy 4 December 9th 04 09:10 AM