Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boiler controls

I'm slightly confused about what Ed Sirret told me, he said:

The sort with an indirect heating coil are the only sort that a boiler
may
heat. The boiler control system is arranged to heat either the
cylinder
and/or the radiators independently.

Does this mean the boiler will not be heating the cylinder when CH is
on?

Will any valves be needed?(2 port valves etc)

I'm planning to get the Drayton lifestyle weekend/weekday programmer,
it seems very easy to use and I also like the Advance buttons, it also
allows separate timing for CH and DHW.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 10:36:32 -0800, dawoodseed wrote:

I'm slightly confused about what Ed Sirret told me, he said:

The sort with an indirect heating coil are the only sort that a boiler
may
heat. The boiler control system is arranged to heat either the cylinder
and/or the radiators independently.

Does this mean the boiler will not be heating the cylinder when CH is
on?

Will any valves be needed?(2 port valves etc)

I'm planning to get the Drayton lifestyle weekend/weekday programmer, it
seems very easy to use and I also like the Advance buttons, it also
allows separate timing for CH and DHW.

When I said that it was in the context of Unvented Hot Water Cylinders
(Megaflows).

Since I don't know what you already have in terms of controls and a hot
water cylinder, zones valves etc. I can only comment generally.

It is possible to set up a system so that the heating and hot water are
fully independent. There may be times when both are needed at the same
time. In that case there are two approaches, one is to just make no
alterations to the pipework, this may allow the cylinder to take all of,
most of, or too much of the boiler's output away from the house heating.
However this won't be for very long, with a modern cylinder, and the
arrangement may not cause any noticeable problems. If you are the sort of
person who is away a lot and then comes home and puts both the heating
and hot water on then it might delay the effective heating for a while.

The alternative approach is to restrict the heating of the cylinder so
that the house heating is not affected or less affected. This is usually
done by adding a gate valve in series with the cylinder coil. Often these
valves will be specifically tamper unfriendly (called lock shield
valves), as inadvertent (or ignorant) adjustment could cause a problem.

In general heating contorls will have two 2-port valves. Some
installation have one 3 port valve. The 3-port valve arrangement is
somewhat deprecated these days.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Dec, 18:36, wrote:
I'm slightly confused about what Ed Sirret told me, he said:

The sort with an indirect heating coil are the only sort that aboiler
may
heat. The boiler control system is arranged to heat either the
cylinder
and/or the radiators independently.

Does this mean the boiler will not be heating the cylinder when CH is
on?

Will any valves be needed?(2 port valves etc)

I'm planning to get the Drayton lifestyle weekend/weekday programmer,
it seems very easy to use and I also like the Advance buttons, it also
allows separate timing for CH and DHW.

Strange,no replies,all must be busy for Christmas I suppose

Boiler controls - siting freddie UK diy 4 October 14th 07 02:23 PM
CH Boiler Controls Jeff UK diy 12 April 1st 06 12:08 AM
Boiler Controls - CH/DHW BeavistheCat UK diy 6 March 30th 06 10:17 AM
boiler controls Cuprager UK diy 17 March 7th 05 10:52 PM
Boiler controls Dave UK diy 4 December 9th 04 09:10 AM