Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default street lamp ballast

Hi,

Whilst helping the relatives have a spring-clean, I found an old
exterior light, it is rather like a street lamp, so more
commercial/industrial than domestic. It looks as thought the fitting
is largely made of aluminium, so I was hoping to take it to the scrap
man.

I think they may be sodium lamps as the bulbs look something like a BC
version of this:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/sylvania-h...ges-250w/90688

I notice the description says "golden white" whatever than is! I
thought they were orange.

Inside the fitting is a large (in terms of size, not capacitance)
capacitor and a heavy metal ballast. The ballast is a sealed unit.
Does it have an iron core? Is that why it is so heavy? I'm just
wondering what bag to throw it into to take to the scrap yard. Do I
throw it in with all the steel? Perhaps I should angle grind it open
to see what's inside?

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Copper wire round some form of core. Depends on the design. Could be
ferrite, laminated iron...
Brian

--
From the Bed of Brian Gaff.
The email is valid as
"Fred" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, October 14, 2012 11:20:04 AM UTC+1, Fred wrote:
[...]

The ballast is copper wire on iron core. Sell the whole thing, silly to scrap it

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, October 14, 2012 11:45:54 AM UTC+1, (unknown) wrote:
[...]

Its high pressure sodium, and yes, golden white is a euphemism for orange-pink.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/10/2012 11:20, Fred wrote:
Hi,

Whilst helping the relatives have a spring-clean, I found an old
exterior light, it is rather like a street lamp, so more
commercial/industrial than domestic. It looks as thought the fitting
is largely made of aluminium, so I was hoping to take it to the scrap
man.

It is probably worth more to someone who wants an HPS lamp and fitting!
(at least if it is functional)

The old magnetic ballasts are not as good as the latest solid state in
terms of efficiency but they are still pretty good.

I think they may be sodium lamps as the bulbs look something like a BC
version of this:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/sylvania-h...ges-250w/90688

I notice the description says "golden white" whatever than is! I
thought they were orange.

Golden white or peachy white is the colour of a typical HPS (high
pressure sodium lamp) - you can get sort of lemon yellow white. They
strike yellow and rapidly turn creamy whitish.

The orange ones are low pressure sodium and emit more or less all their
light in the sodium D-lines. They strike red and gradually turn yellow
as they warm up. They are preferred street lighting in the vicinty of
professional optical observatories. Declaring an interest here as I sell
sodium light blocking filters to amateur astronomers:

http://www.nezumi.demon.co.uk/nonad/spectra.htm

Shows the spectra of the most commons street lamps and the effect of
various astronomical filters on them.

Inside the fitting is a large (in terms of size, not capacitance)
capacitor and a heavy metal ballast. The ballast is a sealed unit.
Does it have an iron core? Is that why it is so heavy? I'm just
wondering what bag to throw it into to take to the scrap yard. Do I
throw it in with all the steel? Perhaps I should angle grind it open
to see what's inside?

You might want to keep it as an outside light if it is actually working
- they are far more energy efficient than other sorts.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, October 14, 2012 1:41:45 PM UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:
On 14/10/2012 11:20, Fred wrote:

[...]

Yes - but 250w of 120lm/W or so is a monstrous amount of light, around 30,000 lumens. Good for a greenhouse.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

version of this:http://www.screwfix.com/p/sylvania-h...odium-son-lamp...

I notice the description says "golden white" whatever than is! I
thought they were orange.

Inside the fitting is a large (in terms of size, not capacitance)
capacitor and a heavy metal ballast. The ballast is a sealed unit.
Does it have an iron core? Is that why it is so heavy? I'm just
wondering what bag to throw it into to take to the scrap yard. Do I
throw it in with all the steel? Perhaps I should angle grind it open
to see what's inside?

TIA

SOX lamps are orange.
SON lamps are yellow.
The ballast is a copper coil wound on to an iron yoke.
There may also be and ignitor that starts the lamp.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:
On 14/10/2012 11:20, Fred wrote:
[...]

Keep it and grow marijuana hydroponically.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fred writes:
Hi,

Whilst helping the relatives have a spring-clean, I found an old
exterior light, it is rather like a street lamp, so more
commercial/industrial than domestic. It looks as thought the fitting
is largely made of aluminium, so I was hoping to take it to the scrap
man.

I think they may be sodium lamps as the bulbs look something like a BC
version of this:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/sylvania-h...ges-250w/90688

The shape is a standard equi-thermal bulb (the shape you end
up with if you want the bulb to be similar temperature all
around the enclosed short arc tube, ignoring convection heating).

I've never seen a BC high pressure sodium lamp, or BC on any
equi-thermal bulb, because a BC lampholder can only support
that weight and size of lamp when hanging cap-up. It was used
for some early mercury vapour lamps with more conventional
(GLS/pear-shaped) lamps, for use in cap-up fittings, including
self-ballasted ones with internal filament ballasts, but yours
has an external ballast (and no external ignitor, at least, you
didn't mention one).

BC is also used for low pressure sodium lamps, but the lamp
has an additional bulb support in this case, being long
tubular in shape, and (almost) clear glass.

So it would be interesting to know all the markings on the
lamp, and a picture, and same for the ballast, and lantern.

I notice the description says "golden white" whatever than is! I
thought they were orange.

Sodium can be anything from orange through to warm white,
depending on the arc tube operating pressure and other doped
elements included.

Inside the fitting is a large (in terms of size, not capacitance)
capacitor and a heavy metal ballast. The ballast is a sealed unit.
Does it have an iron core? Is that why it is so heavy? I'm just
wondering what bag to throw it into to take to the scrap yard. Do I
throw it in with all the steel? Perhaps I should angle grind it open
to see what's inside?

It probably has more resale value than scrap value.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 13:41:41 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

It is probably worth more to someone who wants an HPS lamp and fitting!
(at least if it is functional)

I'm not sure whether it does work. It was buried in the back of a shed
and had not been used for some time. I was going to wire it up to see
but then I thought I've got so many other things that I've never got
round to doing that perhaps I should not make another job for myself!

Golden white or peachy white is the colour of a typical HPS (high
pressure sodium lamp) - you can get sort of lemon yellow white. They
strike yellow and rapidly turn creamy whitish.

The orange ones are low pressure sodium and emit more or less all their
light in the sodium D-lines. They strike red and gradually turn yellow
as they warm up. They are preferred street lighting in the vicinty of
professional optical observatories. Declaring an interest here as I sell
sodium light blocking filters to amateur astronomers:

Thanks. I had forgotten there are two types of sodium light. I was
thinking of the ones that used to be used in street lamps, that strike
red and glow orange. I went along a stretch of motorway the other week
that was lit by these and it looked so strange because I have become
used to "white" street lighting.

Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 12:33:46 +0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

The shape is a standard equi-thermal bulb (the shape you end
up with if you want the bulb to be similar temperature all
around the enclosed short arc tube, ignoring convection heating).

I used to be interested in different shaped light bulbs when I was
young. It's a shame I lost interest as I grew up. It must be an
interesting industry to work in.

I've never seen a BC high pressure sodium lamp, or BC on any
equi-thermal bulb, because a BC lampholder can only support
that weight and size of lamp when hanging cap-up. It was used
for some early mercury vapour lamps with more conventional
(GLS/pear-shaped) lamps, for use in cap-up fittings, including
self-ballasted ones with internal filament ballasts, but yours
has an external ballast (and no external ignitor, at least, you
didn't mention one).

I have had a closer look. There is something printed on the bulb but
all I can make out is "Phillips"; the rest is too faded to see. It
seems it is not a BC cap but actually has pins at right angles, a bit
like a car brake light. I've taken a photo for you to see. You may be
able to see a little of what is inside the glass, if that helps
identify it?

As for an ignitor, I have no idea what one of those is so I don't know
if it has one. There seems to be a patch on the "ballast", if I am
using that word correctly, as if a label used to be there but it is
long gone, so I can't tell you more I'm afraid.

The capacitor label, not the best photo, sorry, says it includes a
resistor and a fuse.

The lamp:
http://tinypic.com/r/2ni0h1k/6

The bulb:
http://tinypic.com/r/2qbgl6s/6

and
http://tinypic.com/r/w9ean7/6

ballast:
http://tinypic.com/r/p9mhh/6

capacitor:
http://tinypic.com/r/ieqyyc/6

I don't know if any of those help at all?

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, October 16, 2012 7:20:14 PM UTC+1, Fred wrote:
On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 12:33:46 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I have had a closer look. There is something printed on the bulb but

all I can make out is "Phillips"; the rest is too faded to see. It

seems it is not a BC cap but actually has pins at right angles, a bit

like a car brake light. I've taken a photo for you to see. You may be

able to see a little of what is inside the glass, if that helps

identify it?

I've seen those 3 pin bases before, if that's what it is, but don't know which type of light it is. I'd ebay it as seen, calling it a 250w hydroponic lamp, explaining where it came from, and that its either sodium or mercury.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

[...]

It's an obsolete mercury vapour lamp, probably 80W or 125W.
They were retro-fitted into filament lamp luminares in the 1950's
and 1960's. They came in two types, standard BC which is a direct
plug-in replacement for the filament lamp, as the lamp has a
built-in ballast in the form of a tungsten filament, and the
separately ballasted type you have there which required the
lampholder to be changed, to prevent the two types of lamp
getting mixed up (your one would explode if plugged into a
streetlamp with no ballast fitted).

As for an ignitor, I have no idea what one of those is so I don't know
if it has one. There seems to be a patch on the "ballast", if I am

Mercury vapour lamps don't need an ignitor.
(If it was high pressure sodium, it would have, some smaller
lamps have it inside the bulb, or it can be external).

using that word correctly, as if a label used to be there but it is
long gone, so I can't tell you more I'm afraid.

The capacitor label, not the best photo, sorry, says it includes a
resistor and a fuse.

The lamp:
http://tinypic.com/r/2ni0h1k/6
"luminare" actually (or sometimes lantern in the context of street lighting).
That looks like a 1950's one. There are streetlighting forums where
a collector would be able to tell you the make and model from your
picture.

The bulb:
http://tinypic.com/r/2qbgl6s/6

More properly called the "lamp", although the "bulb" is the outer glass
envelope of the "lamp".

and
http://tinypic.com/r/w9ean7/6

ballast:
http://tinypic.com/r/p9mhh/6

capacitor:
http://tinypic.com/r/ieqyyc/6

I can only read 0.0MFD, which doesn't make sense.
Datasheet values I have are 8MFD for 80W, and 13MFD for 125W, but
the capacitor value doesn't matter at all for correct operation,
only for power factor correction of the supply current drawn.

I don't know if any of those help at all?

Thanks.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/10/2012 11:20, Fred wrote:

[...]

Brilliant for growing wacky backy. Should get a customer quite easily.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 13:33:21 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
capacitor:
http://tinypic.com/r/ieqyyc/6

I can only read 0.0MFD, which doesn't make sense. Datasheet values I
have are 8MFD for 80W, and 13MFD for 125W, but the capacitor value
doesn't matter at all for correct operation, only for power factor
correction of the supply current drawn.

FWIW, I think there are traces of a number to the left of the first zero
- ****ing around with the contrast on the image, I think it's most likely
a 4, but it's very hard to tell with a high degree of certainty.

cheers

Jules