Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What a PITA

SWMBO wanted an extra socket in the kitchen. Unwilling to start
chopping lumps out of the rather nice tiles, I opted for a worktop
socket from TLC

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KS104.html

This has to be the worst designed pile of crap ever, with instructions
to match. When I say instructions - it was half a page of badly
photocopied stuff about "if in doubt use a qualified electrician". No
'actual' instructions.

First of all, its two individual sockets underneath the rectangular
plastic cover. Each held in with 4 tiny screws. Both have to be
removed to get to the fixing holes.

Since it's two sockets, you have to wire one up, with a link to the
other, using enough cable so you can withdraw both sockets enough to
access the fixing holes.

Back of each socket has a plastic cover, but again, no instructions
about how to remove it - turns out you have to twist & pull.

No provision for an earth on the metal box, so you need to wire in a
link with a round terminal on. No warning about earthing it either.

If I never install another one of these it will be too soon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

Oh. it's those ****s of a socket. I know them well.

I hate them.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

If I never install another one of these it will be too soon.

There's very very very something similar on Amazon with a 1-star rating,
and comments as follows:

This item arrived with packaging torn and missing,there was no adequate
installation instructions,it is not a double socket but two individual
sockets in a bit of flimsy bent chrome plated metal with sharp corners.
Wiring the sockets together without a proper junction box would be
unsafe. I installed it as a single socket and covered the sharp edges
with plastic edging.
The supplier said they were not responsible for the quality of the item,
it was down to their supplier, Not in my book.
Supplier offered delivery money back, if I did not give item negative
feed back, I could not give non negative feed back even if all my money
was returned.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , ARW adamwadsworth@blueyond
er.co.uk escribió:

Oh. it's those ****s of a socket. I know them well.

Pity, they look quite smart from the pic and I like the idea of mounting
them under the cupboard.

These might be an alternative:

http://www.olson.co.uk/13a_standard_slope.htm
http://www.olson.co.uk/fused_rcd.htm
http://www.olson.co.uk/sloping.htm

I've used the 10-way ones. Top quality and well made with quality
parts, but they come free-standing so no mounting holes; you'd have to
drill holes to fix them to a surface and rotate the sockets 180deg to
use them under-cupboard.

Not cheap either, but I've used a fair bit of their kit and they came
through when I needed a custom order in a hurry. Friendly service from
sales@.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
This has to be the worst designed pile of crap ever, with instructions
to match. When I say instructions - it was half a page of badly
photocopied stuff about "if in doubt use a qualified electrician". No
'actual' instructions.

To be fair to TLC, they are an electrical wholesaler - not a DIY shed. If
you buy an ordinary socket from them it comes with no instructions at all.

It could be the cover on the back of the socket removes the need for the
metal box to be earthed - but this is just a guess, not having seen one.

--
*Why do overlook and oversee mean opposite things? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Oct 2012 20:55:54 +0100, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

SWMBO wanted an extra socket in the kitchen. Unwilling to start
chopping lumps out of the rather nice tiles, I opted for a worktop
socket from TLC

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KS104.html

This has to be the worst designed pile of crap ever, with instructions
to match. When I say instructions - it was half a page of badly
photocopied stuff about "if in doubt use a qualified electrician". No
'actual' instructions.

First of all, its two individual sockets underneath the rectangular
plastic cover. Each held in with 4 tiny screws. Both have to be
removed to get to the fixing holes.

My kitchen is undergoing a mnor refurb next week and I was going to
use these. Seems like changing my mind was a good move. Would have
driven me nuts fiddling about as described.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What a PITA - under-cabinet 13A sockets for kitchens etc

The Medway Handyman wrote:

SWMBO wanted an extra socket in the kitchen. Unwilling to start
chopping lumps out of the rather nice tiles, I opted for a worktop
socket from TLC

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KS104.html

This has to be the worst designed pile of crap ever...

Since it's two sockets, you have to wire one up, with a link to the
other, using enough cable so you can withdraw both sockets enough to
access the fixing holes.

Someone else quoted a reviewer who mentioned sharp edges. Since you've
actually seen one of these things: where are these sharp bits? Are they
just dangerous to fingers while taking the thing apart, or do they also risk
damaging the supply cable?

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 7, 8:55*pm, The Medway Handyman
wrote:
[...]

Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

MK used to make similar sockets years ago. They were intended to be
mounted in steel instrument cabinets and the like.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2012 10:12, Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

SWMBO wanted an extra socket in the kitchen. Unwilling to start
chopping lumps out of the rather nice tiles, I opted for a worktop
socket from TLC

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KS104.html

This has to be the worst designed pile of crap ever...

Since it's two sockets, you have to wire one up, with a link to the
other, using enough cable so you can withdraw both sockets enough to
access the fixing holes.

Someone else quoted a reviewer who mentioned sharp edges. Since you've
actually seen one of these things: where are these sharp bits? Are they
just dangerous to fingers while taking the thing apart, or do they also risk
damaging the supply cable?

Mine didn't have any noticeably sharp edges - just as well, it was a big
enough PITA without that.