Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default under Steel I-Beams?

Is it worth putting something like a sheet of DPC under steel I-Beams?

They're 5.4 metres long, spanning a room.

Some are resting on brick,
some on steel,
some on oak,
some on concrete padstones.

I'd like to stop rot from condensation,
and heat escaping from steel to steel.

[george]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

george - dicegeorge wrote:
Is it worth putting something like a sheet of DPC under steel I-Beams?

no

They're 5.4 metres long, spanning a room.

Some are resting on brick,
some on steel,
some on oak,
some on concrete padstones.

I'd like to stop rot from condensation,
and heat escaping from steel to steel.

There won't be any condensation, at least nowhere near as much as what you
get in your windows and the window boards manage ok.

pvc under them wouldn't stop anything

your heat loss from steel to steel makes no sense - is one of them outside
at some point? - if they are all indoors then they will be at the same
temperature as each other.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

george - dicegeorge wrote:
Is it worth putting something like a sheet of DPC under steel I-Beams?

They're 5.4 metres long, spanning a room.

Some are resting on brick,
some on steel,
some on oak,
some on concrete padstones.

I'd like to stop rot from condensation,
and heat escaping from steel to steel.

[george]

DPC Department of Premier and Cabinet (Victoria, Australia)
***** DPC Deferred Procedure Calls (Microsoft Windows NT 4.0)
***** DPC Dutch Power Cows
**** DPC Destination Point Code
**** DPC Domestic Policy Council
**** DPC Digital Pitch Control
**** DPC Dabhol Power Company (India)
**** DPC Due Process Clause
**** DPC Dirty Paper Coding
*** DPC Dewan Pimpinan Cabang
*** DPC Database Promotion Center (Japan)
*** DPC Direct Program Control
*** DPC Dynamic Power Control
*** DPC Defense Planning Committee (NATO)
*** DPC Dansk Polarcenter (Danish: Danish Polar Center)
*** DPC Days Post Conception
*** DPC Distributed Power Control
*** DPC Direito Processual Civil (Portuguese: Civil Procedural Law; Brazil)
*** DPC Delayed Primary Closure (surgery)
*** DPC DaVita Patient Citizens
*** DPC Deployment Processing Center
*** DPC Differential Phase Contrast
*** DPC Delivery Point Code
*** DPC Displaced Persons Commission
*** DPC Direct Product Cost (finance)
*** DPC Delayed Procedure Call
*** DPC Digital Patch Cable
*** DPC Dots per Centimeter (digital photography)
*** DPC Document Processing Center
*** DPC Diagnostic Procedure Combination (Japanese variant of the
Diagnosis-Related Group concept)
*** DPC Department of Physical Chemistry
*** DPC District Programme Coordinator (India)
*** DPC Deleted in Pancreatic Carcinoma
*** DPC Department of Preservation and Conservation (Cornell
University Library)
** DPC Diocesan Pastoral Center
** DPC Discrete Particle Counter
** DPC Data Product Code
** DPC Data Processing Computer
** DPC Defective Pixel Correction
** DPC Design Partnership of Cambridge (Cambridge, MA)
** DPC Digital Personal Communicator (cellular phone)
** DPC disruptive pattern camouflage
** DPC Digital Printer Copier
** DPC Direct Power Converter
** DPC Delayed Payment Charge
** DPC Distal Palmar Crease
** DPC Double Parity Check
** DPC Double Posture Coil (mattress spring system)
** DPC Data Packet Controller
* DPC Defense Procurement Circular/Council
* DPC Directives Points of Contact
* DPC Data Processing Center/Central
* DPC Digital to Probability Converter
* DPC Digital Portable Communications
* DPC Chief Data Processing Technician (Naval Rating)
* DPC Double Precision Computation
* DPC Duplex Controller
* DPC Douai Poker Club (France)
* DPC Disk Power Cabinet
* DPC Demand Processing Center
* DPC Dirección de la Protection Civile (Civil Protection Agency, Haiti)
* DPC Differential Pulse Coding
* DPC Dual Power Converters
* DPC Director for Public Communication
* DPC Direct Point of Contact
* DPC Definable Principal Congruence (mathematics)
* DPC Digne Poker Club (France)
* DPC Damage per Casttime (online gaming)
* DPC Deer Park Crew (online photography club)
* DPC Defense Plants Corporation (US Navy)
* DPC Demande de Prise en Charge (French: Request for Taking Charge)
* DPC Democratic Platform Committee (politics)
* DPC Denis Papin Collectivités (French: Denis Papin Communities)
* DPC Dépannage Plomberie Chauffage (French: Plumbing Heating Repairs)
* DPC Delfosse Plomberie Chauffage (French: Delfosse Plumbing Heating)
* DPC Damage Prevention Council
* DPC Damage Protection Concept (Cantonment, FL)
* DPC Data Processing Conseil (French logistics company)
* DPC Data Processing Corporation (San Diego, CA)
* DPC Data Protection Commissioner (various locations)
* DPC Debt per Capita
* DPC Debt Previously Contracted
* DPC Décision Performance Conseil (French: Council Decision Performance)
* DPC Dijon Parkour Crew (France)
* DPC Dimm (Dual In-line Memory Module) per Channel
* DPC Digital Preservation Coalition (UK)
* DPC Digital Picture Chip (computing)
* DPC Damp Proof Course
* DPC Diphenylcarbonate (polycarbonate)
* DPC Diplôme de Premier Cycle (French: Undergraduate Degree)
* DPC Direction du Patrimoine Culturel (French: Department of Cultural
Heritage; various nations)
* DPC Directive Produits de Construction (French: Construction Products
Directive; product regulation compliance)
* DPC Dependency-Oriented Psychological Control (psychology)
* DPC Desarrollo Profesional Continuo (Spanish: Continuing
Professional Development)
* DPC Development Policy Committee (various locations)
* DPC Développement Professionnel Continu (French: Continuing
Professional Development)
* DPC Diagnostic Products Corporation (various locations)
* DPC Diamond's Poker Cup (France)
* DPC Disability Policy Collaboration (advocacy)
* DPC Discovery Planning Conference (law)
* DPC Distributeur de Plats Chauds (French food company)
* DPC District Planning Commission (various locations)
* DPC Division of Primary Care (Charleston, WV)
* DPC Documentation Production Center
* DPC Dog Park Committee (various locations)
* DPC Dublin Port Company (Ireland)
* DPC Downtown Presbyterian Church (Tennessee)
* DPC Dreux Poker Club (France)
* DPC Driftless Pony Club (band)
* DPC Duodeno-Pancreatectomie (French: Pancreaticoduodenectomy; surgery)
* DPC Dynamic Performance Control (vehicle control system)
No
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 4, 9:30*pm, george - dicegeorge wrote:
Is it worth putting something like a sheet of DPC under steel I-Beams?

They're 5.4 metres long, spanning a room.

Some are resting on brick,
some on steel,
some on oak,
some on concrete padstones.

I'd like to stop rot from condensation,
and heat escaping from steel to steel.

[george]

It's normal practice to put in "slip plates/material" and create
"expansion pockets" to allow for expansion and hence cracks appearing
adjoining masonry with long beams.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, October 5, 2012 8:30:07 AM UTC+1, harry wrote:
On Oct 4, 9:30*pm, george - dicegeorge wrote:

Is it worth putting something like a sheet of DPC under steel I-Beams?
They're 5.4 metres long, spanning a room.
Some are resting on brick,
some on steel,
some on oak,
some on concrete padstones.
I'd like to stop rot from condensation,
and heat escaping from steel to steel.

It's normal practice to put in "slip plates/material" and create
"expansion pockets" to allow for expansion and hence cracks appearing
adjoining masonry with long beams.

Whether or not you do this on the other materials it's a good idea to have something between the beams and the oak as iron or steel can cause black stains on oak.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 05 Oct 2012 12:41:49 +1000, F Murtz wrote:

george - dicegeorge wrote:
Is it worth putting something like a sheet of DPC under steel I-Beams?

Dog Park Committee

Well it's obviously that one, isn't it?

(Listing them in alphabetical order is helpful, btw, then it's easy for
someone else to tell you if the right answer is in the list)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/12 21:49, Phil L wrote:
george - dicegeorge wrote:
Is it worth putting something like a sheet of DPC under steel I-Beams?

no

They're 5.4 metres long, spanning a room.

Some are resting on brick,
some on steel,
some on oak,
some on concrete padstones.

I'd like to stop rot from condensation,
and heat escaping from steel to steel.

There won't be any condensation, at least nowhere near as much as what you
get in your windows and the window boards manage ok.

pvc under them wouldn't stop anything

your heat loss from steel to steel makes no sense - is one of them outside
at some point? - if they are all indoors then they will be at the same
temperature as each other.

yes, one steel is in the outside wall and the other inside the room, but
resting on it, so i thought maybe DPC would slow down the heatloss.

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

george - dicegeorge wrote:
yes, one steel is in the outside wall and the other inside the room,
but resting on it, so i thought maybe DPC would slow down the
heatloss.

not even in the slightest.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/12 03:41, F Murtz wrote:
george - dicegeorge wrote:
[...]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DPC-DAMP-P...-/320810609379

DPC DAMP PROOF COURSE MEMBRANE
Posted to uk.d-i-y

george - dicegeorge wrote:
Another worry I have is that the padstones will not be exactly level
with the steel I-Beam,
therefore the metal will be pressing down on just on narrow line,
which may lead to cracking.

So should I maybe put a thin layer of cement or gripfill
inbetween the beam and padstone
so that the load is spread over all the area?

Yes, a splodge of strong sand/cement is the norm.
Don't use gripfil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/12 14:59, Phil L wrote:
george - dicegeorge wrote:
yes, one steel is in the outside wall and the other inside the room,
but resting on it, so i thought maybe DPC would slow down the
heatloss.

not even in the slightest.

I disagree,

My physics O level taught me that
metal to metal will transfer more heat
than metal, DPC membrane, metal,
but how much it will slow heat transfer I cannot estimate.

half?

[george]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/12 17:25, Phil L wrote:
george - dicegeorge wrote:
Another worry I have is that the padstones will not be exactly level
with the steel I-Beam,
therefore the metal will be pressing down on just on narrow line,
which may lead to cracking.

So should I maybe put a thin layer of cement or gripfill
inbetween the beam and padstone
so that the load is spread over all the area?

Yes, a splodge of strong sand/cement is the norm.
Don't use gripfil

That makes sense, thanks.
[george]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/12 16:20, PeterL wrote:
"george - dicegeorge" wrote in message ...

On 05/10/12 10:23, wrote:
[...]

This is a question you should really put to your structural engineer but
the normal thing to do would be to pack up underneath the beam with
steel plate / shims

The structural engineer specified earlier beams,
but didnt notice the faults i'm trying to repair.

Building Control has passed everything i've done so far.

It's a 30kilo/meter 6"x6" I-Beam,
I dont think it will break!

[george]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

george - dicegeorge wrote:
On 06/10/12 14:59, Phil L wrote:
george - dicegeorge wrote:
yes, one steel is in the outside wall and the other inside the room,
but resting on it, so i thought maybe DPC would slow down the
heatloss.

not even in the slightest.

I disagree,

My physics O level taught me that
metal to metal will transfer more heat
than metal, DPC membrane, metal,
but how much it will slow heat transfer I cannot estimate.

half?

nothing, well not nothing, but if you are talking about a fraction of a
degree, or even 1 or 2 degrees C, what difference is it likely to make? -
like I said, nothing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
george - dicegeorge wrote:
On 06/10/12 14:59, Phil L wrote:
george - dicegeorge wrote:
yes, one steel is in the outside wall and the other inside the
room, but resting on it, so i thought maybe DPC would slow down the
heatloss.

not even in the slightest.

I disagree,

My physics O level taught me that
metal to metal will transfer more heat
than metal, DPC membrane, metal,
but how much it will slow heat transfer I cannot estimate.

half?

nothing, well not nothing, but if you are talking about a fraction of
a degree, or even 1 or 2 degrees C, what difference is it likely to
make? - like I said, nothing.

In that the heat in the internal steelwork has already been lost from the
room, so where it goes after that is irrelevant

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 6 Oct 2012 17:25:09 +0100 Phil L wrote :
So should I maybe put a thin layer of cement or gripfill
inbetween the beam and padstone
so that the load is spread over all the area?

Yes, a splodge of strong sand/cement is the norm.
Don't use gripfil

Dry pack - 1:1 cement and sharp sand with just enough water to bind
it when compressed. Drive into gap with hammer and suitably sized
piece of wood. Sets like rock.

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/12 21:52, Tony Bryer wrote:
On Sat, 6 Oct 2012 17:25:09 +0100 Phil L wrote :
So should I maybe put a thin layer of cement or gripfill
inbetween the beam and padstone
so that the load is spread over all the area?

Yes, a splodge of strong sand/cement is the norm.
Don't use gripfil

Dry pack - 1:1 cement and sharp sand with just enough water to bind
it when compressed. Drive into gap with hammer and suitably sized
piece of wood. Sets like rock.

splodge it onto the padstone
then lower the beam onto it
should do it i imagine.

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/12 20:29, Phil L wrote:
Phil L wrote:
george - dicegeorge wrote:
On 06/10/12 14:59, Phil L wrote:
george - dicegeorge wrote:
yes, one steel is in the outside wall and the other inside the
room, but resting on it, so i thought maybe DPC would slow down the
heatloss.

not even in the slightest.

I disagree,

My physics O level taught me that
metal to metal will transfer more heat
than metal, DPC membrane, metal,
but how much it will slow heat transfer I cannot estimate.

half?

nothing, well not nothing, but if you are talking about a fraction of
a degree, or even 1 or 2 degrees C, what difference is it likely to
make? - like I said, nothing.

In that the heat in the internal steelwork has already been lost from the
room, so where it goes after that is irrelevant

i dont think its irrelevant,

as heat from the internal steel flows into the external steelwork
the internal steel gets colder quicker
so there's a greater temperature difference inside
so heat from the room flows into the internal steelwork quicker
and more watts per hour are lost from the room to the outside.

[g]

Steel Beams steel beams UK diy 38 March 25th 11 10:09 AM
Steel Beams steel beams Metalworking 0 March 24th 11 06:43 AM
How to frame around steel beams? Aaron Fude Home Repair 7 October 20th 08 08:58 PM
Steel Beams and Posts [email protected] Home Repair 25 August 6th 06 04:06 PM
I need some good used steel I-Beams TwoGuns Metalworking 2 October 27th 05 04:21 AM