Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Will the council replace my mum's windows?

My mum lives in a council house with her elderly mother. 13 years ago when
she moved in, the windows in the property were a 50-50 mix of iron frame and
UPVc frame single glazed windows.

Originally the council replaced all the iron frame windows with UPVc double
glazing. 5 years or so, they also changed out the UPVc single glazing for
double glazing.

After 13 years, the original double glazing job is in a pretty poor state.
Some of the windows are almost translucent with condensation and
condensation residue and there is no way to clean them because the
condensation is on the inside of the glass sealed units, between the panes.

I believe the dessication agent used in the sealed unit panes has absorbed
all the moisture that they are able, and now any excess just ends up as
condensation. All the windows done five years ago are still going great.

As it's a council house, will the council replace them, or as they are still
functioning as double glazing and serving their insulation purpose - you can
still see through them, it just looks like crap - they will tell her to make
do?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jake" wrote in message
[...]

The responsibility for doing the work sits with the LA, but for your
description they don't seem to be in a condition that requires the work to
be done

whether they have the money to prioritise such an item on a voluntary basis
is another matter

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jake wrote:
As it's a council house, will the council replace them, or as they are
still functioning as double glazing and serving their insulation
purpose - you can still see through them, it just looks like crap -
they will tell her to make do?

Report it to them and see. Exactly as you would do for any other house
maintenance issues.

--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/09/2012 11:41, Jake wrote:
My mum lives in a council house with her elderly mother. 13 years ago when
she moved in, the windows in the property were a 50-50 mix of iron frame and
UPVc frame single glazed windows.

Originally the council replaced all the iron frame windows with UPVc double
glazing. 5 years or so, they also changed out the UPVc single glazing for
double glazing.

After 13 years, the original double glazing job is in a pretty poor state.
Some of the windows are almost translucent with condensation and
condensation residue and there is no way to clean them because the
condensation is on the inside of the glass sealed units, between the panes.

I would put it to the council that the 'blown' panes are in need of
repair. The vacuum has failed and they don't work as designed. I
wouldn't spend too much time arguing over energy efficiency (although
this can be a good lever in other circumstances) - simply say your mum
can't see out of them properly. If she worries about it, tell them that.
Impress on them the security and anxiety side of this.

I believe the dessication agent used in the sealed unit panes has absorbed
all the moisture that they are able, and now any excess just ends up as
condensation. All the windows done five years ago are still going great.

I'd just say that as soon as you mention 'condensation' they will shove
a leaflet in your hand about 'using a home properly'. In most cases
they'd have a point - but not in your case for the fault you've
described, I think.

As it's a council house, will the council replace them, or as they are still
functioning as double glazing and serving their insulation purpose - you can
still see through them, it just looks like crap - they will tell her to make
do?

As above, I would impress on them that it's a defect, the unit doesn't
function as it should. Get them to acknowledge this. Then, it affects
quality of life. The consequences of certain building defects trigger
certain responses on the repairs computer - as I say, 'security' and
personal safety tends to be one category, and 'elderly vulnerable' another.

Obviously you can appeal, councillors etc - but (and you know better
than most!) best not to get too fixated about the whole thing, just plod
along and see what can be done, ignoring any jobsworths and red tape
along the way.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rob wrote:
On 29/09/2012 11:41, Jake wrote:
My mum lives in a council house with her elderly mother. 13 years ago when
she moved in, the windows in the property were a 50-50 mix of iron frame and
UPVc frame single glazed windows.

Originally the council replaced all the iron frame windows with UPVc double
glazing. 5 years or so, they also changed out the UPVc single glazing for
double glazing.

After 13 years, the original double glazing job is in a pretty poor state.
Some of the windows are almost translucent with condensation and
condensation residue and there is no way to clean them because the
condensation is on the inside of the glass sealed units, between the panes.

I would put it to the council that the 'blown' panes are in need of
repair. The vacuum has failed and they don't work as designed.

There is no vacuum to fail.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

That depends very much on the state of the councils money bags. Since most
councils have now been allowed to keep more of their tax money in exchange
for a share of the national debt, things might be better, but the new better
homes initiative will probably eat up a lot of that cash.
Might be worth having the odd 'accident, with a pane or two to help it
along a bit though.
Its funny cos most of my, admittedly smaller gap units from the 70s have
remained clear of condensation.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Jake" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/09/2012 14:53, Brian Gaff wrote:
That depends very much on the state of the councils money bags. Since most
councils have now been allowed to keep more of their tax money in exchange
for a share of the national debt, things might be better, but the new better
homes initiative will probably eat up a lot of that cash.

The self-financing regime, whereby councils can now keep rent and
receipts, seems if anything to make things worse. The money either gets
channelled elsewhere to make up for shortfalls, or it's set aside to pay
off the debt they took on for the 'privilege' of self-financing.

Might be worth having the odd 'accident, with a pane or two to help it
along a bit though.

Known worse to happen :-)

Its funny cos most of my, admittedly smaller gap units from the 70s have
remained clear of condensation.

Mine too - 15 years since installation, apparently.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 11:41:29 +0100, "Jake"
wrote:

As it's a council house, will the council replace them, or as they are still
functioning as double glazing and serving their insulation purpose - you can
still see through them, it just looks like crap - they will tell her to make
do?

#

She should ask.
Chances are a surveyor will call and inspect. He will decide how many
need replacing and how urgent it is. Sometimes they have work schemes
planned which include windows so if planned work is to be done shortly
it might not be done until that is going on.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Jake wrote:
As it's a council house, will the council replace them, or as they
are still functioning as double glazing and serving their insulation
purpose - you can still see through them, it just looks like crap -
they will tell her to make do?

Report it to them and see. Exactly as you would do for any other house
maintenance issues.

Councils can be odd things to deal with. When the ex gf's fence fell over (3
rotten posts and wind damage) I needed retrospective permission from the
council to replace the fence posts.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 12:59:16 +0100, "ARW"
wrote:

Councils can be odd things to deal with. When the ex gf's fence fell over (3
rotten posts and wind damage) I needed retrospective permission from the
council to replace the fence posts.

Sometimes, that's to maintain uniformity or compliance with the
original design and fittings. A relative of mine got into hot water
when he knocked through his kitchen/living room without council
permission. Even though it was just a stud partition wall, and he had
no intention of moving, they insisted on it being re-built.
I could see the point if he *was* moving out - they want it back to
normal and that's what they often do; leave things alone until the
tenant is going to move and they inspect the premises for such
'unauthorised' modifications.
The silly sod would have got permission no problem, if he'd asked for
it up front.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

Councils can be odd things to deal with. When the ex gf's fence
fell over (3 rotten posts and wind damage) I needed retrospective
permission from the council to replace the fence posts.

Sometimes, that's to maintain uniformity or compliance with the
original design and fittings.

Well that's me ****ed then. I put the new posts in a straight line and used
a sprirt level when I fitted them.

--