Posted to alt.home.repair

Default replace basement windows

My basement has three small wood windows, rectangle shape. They are all very
crappy, after 40-years taking sun heat and rain/snow moisture. I wonder how
people normally do in the replacement? The wood frame is built into concrete
wall, it seems not possible to get removed. If we go vinyl ones, how to
install? I'd rather go cheaper with new wood ones, just make them look good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John91" wrote in message
My basement has three small wood windows, rectangle shape. They are all
very crappy, after 40-years taking sun heat and rain/snow moisture. I
wonder how people normally do in the replacement? The wood frame is built
into concrete wall, it seems not possible to get removed. If we go vinyl
ones, how to install? I'd rather go cheaper with new wood ones, just make
them look good.

Basement windows are a popular means of entry for burglars. Go with vented
glass block.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 01:26:33 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"John91" wrote in message
My basement has three small wood windows, rectangle shape. They are all
very crappy, after 40-years taking sun heat and rain/snow moisture. I
wonder how people normally do in the replacement? The wood frame is built
into concrete wall, it seems not possible to get removed. If we go vinyl
ones, how to install? I'd rather go cheaper with new wood ones, just make
them look good.

Basement windows are a popular means of entry for burglars. Go with vented
glass block.

Some basements windows are good for fire escape. Shoot the burglars.

--
Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 14, 8:14�pm, "John91" wrote:
My basement has three small wood windows, rectangle shape. They are all very
crappy, after 40-years taking sun heat and rain/snow moisture. I wonder how
people normally do in the replacement? The wood frame is built into concrete
wall, it seems not possible to get removed. If we go vinyl ones, how to
install? I'd rather go cheaper with new wood ones, just make them look good.

most are screwed to the block or the wood frame is screwed to the
block.

glass block windows even those with vents cause venting and moisture
trouble in basements.

investigate ingress egress windows and call your basement another
bedroom at home resale time. more money for you
Posted to alt.home.repair

"John91" wrote in message
My basement has three small wood windows, rectangle shape. They are all
very crappy, after 40-years taking sun heat and rain/snow moisture. I
wonder how people normally do in the replacement? The wood frame is built
into concrete wall, it seems not possible to get removed. If we go vinyl
ones, how to install? I'd rather go cheaper with new wood ones, just make
them look good.

It has been 30 years since I've done them, but I used to sell and install
windows as a side line back then. I used to tear out all the wood and use
mortar mix to put the new windows in place. No rot, no termites, no
painting.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 14, 9:18*pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"John91" wrote in message

My basement has three small wood windows, rectangle shape. They are all
very crappy, after 40-years taking sun heat and rain/snow moisture. I
wonder how people normally do in the replacement? The wood frame is built
into concrete wall, it seems not possible to get removed. If we go vinyl
ones, how to install? I'd rather go cheaper with new wood ones, just make
them look good.

It has been 30 years since I've done them, but I used to sell and install
windows as a side line back then. I used to tear out all the wood and use
mortar mix to put the new windows in place. *No rot, no termites, no
painting.

Ed's right. You can easily mortar in windows, wood, or these days,
vinyl. You may have to resize the opening for a new stock window, but
that is easily done with mortar, scrap brick pieces, or even ceramic
tile from the tile store bargain bin. In my experience, vinyl is far
easier to work with. Give it a shot.

Joe

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 18:50:18 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

glass block windows even those with vents cause venting and moisture
trouble in basements.

In some houses, yes. Not all. For example, not in mine, constructed
in 1930.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
glass block windows even those with vents cause venting and moisture
trouble in �basements.

In some houses, yes. �Not all. �For example, not in mine, constructed
in 1930. �

a 1930s home has so many air leaks a tent would be better,,,,,,,,,

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
glass block windows even those with vents cause venting and moisture
trouble in ?basements.

In some houses, yes. ?Not all. ?For example, not in mine, constructed
in 1930. ?

a 1930s home has so many air leaks a tent would be better,,,,,,,,,

=====================

I'm confused.

I have standard basement windows that are never opened. No moisture
problems. If I replace them with glass block windows, why should I then have
moisture problems?

Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 05:40:34 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

a 1930s home has so many air leaks a tent would be better,,,,,,,,,

You'd be wrong. Yet again.