Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The ancient barn window market...

I keep seeing reclaimed wooden barn/farm windows being bought and sold -
several locally in the last few months. JOOI, what the heck are people
buying them *for*? I can't imagine they're being re-used in homes as
actual windows, no matter how good the wood they're made from may once
have been.

I've seen some listed as being "suitable for craft projects" but TBH the
sort of amount they sell for surprises me, if people are just buying them
up to add bells and whistles and God-knows-what and turning them into
"art". I'm not sure I'd want a manky old window with the type of glass
that smashes into lethal shards at a moment's notice in my house :-)

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 25, 9:49*pm, Jules Richardson
wrote:
I keep seeing reclaimed wooden barn/farm windows being bought and sold -
several locally in the last few months. JOOI, what the heck are people
buying them *for*? I can't imagine they're being re-used in homes as
actual windows, no matter how good the wood they're made from may once
have been.

I've seen some listed as being "suitable for craft projects" but TBH the
sort of amount they sell for surprises me, if people are just buying them
up to add bells and whistles and God-knows-what and turning them into
"art". I'm not sure I'd want a manky old window with the type of glass
that smashes into lethal shards at a moment's notice in my house :-)

cheers

Jules

Just a passing fad for those with more money than sense.
Someone has a great pile of them somewhere and is making a killing.
You would be on a hiding to nothing trying to cut them up except with
metal cutting equipment. Old oak is hard as iron.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/09/2012 21:49, Jules Richardson wrote:

I keep seeing reclaimed wooden barn/farm windows being bought and sold -
several locally in the last few months. JOOI, what the heck are people
buying them *for*? I can't imagine they're being re-used in homes as
actual windows, no matter how good the wood they're made from may once
have been.

I've seen some listed as being "suitable for craft projects" but TBH the
sort of amount they sell for surprises me, if people are just buying them
up to add bells and whistles and God-knows-what and turning them into
"art". I'm not sure I'd want a manky old window with the type of glass
that smashes into lethal shards at a moment's notice in my house :-)

cheers

Jules

There seems to be a vogue for furniture made out of reclaimed timber at
the moment. Perhaps that is where they end up?

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 09:39:48 +0100, Phil wrote:
Mirrors?

Actually, I do know that was the intention for one purchaser - which
seemed a little odd, as I can't help thinking that a frame could have
been made and painted to give it the aged look for less than the cost of
buying and adapting an existing window. And it wouldn't have ended up
smelling of rat **** and pigeon crap.

This was the style of window with lots of small panes, too, so I'm not
even convinced that it's particularly functional as a mirror...

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 00:39:03 -0700, harry wrote:
Just a passing fad for those with more money than sense.

Well, hopefully it's a passing fad. People do seem to snap up anything
remotely old and then butcher it into a pile of ******** these days, but
I was surprised at knackered old windows being on that list.

Someone has a
great pile of them somewhere and is making a killing.

I do have a small pile of them in the attic space in the workshop - I'd
always planned on ditching the glass and burning[1] the frames in the
fire pit when I eventually needed the space that they occupy, but perhaps
it'll be amusing to see if anyone will buy them :-)

[1] although I may hang on to some of the thicker pieces for use in other
projects.

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 26, 1:55*pm, Jules Richardson
wrote:
On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 00:39:03 -0700, harry wrote:
Just a passing fad for those with more money than sense.

Well, hopefully it's a passing fad. People do seem to snap up anything
remotely old and then butcher it into a pile of ******** these days, but
I was surprised at knackered old windows being on that list.

Someone has a
great pile of them somewhere and is making a killing.

I do have a small pile of them in the attic space in the workshop - I'd
always planned on ditching the glass and burning[1] the frames in the
fire pit when I eventually needed the space that they occupy, but perhaps
it'll be amusing to see if anyone will buy them :-)

Best thing to do!
The only ones I ever took out were really rotten.
If you want to arfificially age oak, the best tool is a sandblaster.

[1] although I may hang on to some of the thicker pieces for use in other
projects.

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 07:56:45 -0700, harry wrote:

On Sep 26, 1:55Â*pm, Jules Richardson
wrote:
On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 00:39:03 -0700, harry wrote:
Just a passing fad for those with more money than sense.

Well, hopefully it's a passing fad. People do seem to snap up anything
remotely old and then butcher it into a pile of ******** these days,
but I was surprised at knackered old windows being on that list.

Someone has a
great pile of them somewhere and is making a killing.

I do have a small pile of them in the attic space in the workshop - I'd
always planned on ditching the glass and burning[1] the frames in the
fire pit when I eventually needed the space that they occupy, but
perhaps it'll be amusing to see if anyone will buy them :-)

Best thing to do!
The only ones I ever took out were really rotten.

I think these ones are solid, but probably have some rodent damage - but
to the arty crowd it's all patina, isn't it? ;-) There's a chipmunk
nesting amongst them at the moment, so I'll let him be for the winter.

Eighteen of the house windows are the original timber ones from the 1940s
(all French style with 8 panes in each side) and they should be coming
out next year because I'm sick of maintaining them (and swapping between
their winter and summer screens) - so perhaps I should keep my fingers
crossed that the used market doesn't collapse before then, and they can
offset some of the cost of replacements :-)

cheers

Jules