Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Window track needed for pole barn

I am building a pole barn and have a small wooden window to install.
This is a horse barn, and windows must be high or they are dangerous
to the horses. The window will be 16 inches below the roof, but it
cant hinge inward or some of the larger horses could still hit their
head on it and get hurt or bust the window off the hinges.

This is a steel pole barn with 2x6 framing nailed flat against the
poles and covered with the steel sheets. The window is 1 1/4 inch
thick, so it could easily slide between the 2x6s and a sliding window
is preferred since it wont be in the way or get broken.

My question is what do they sell that I can use for tracks. Just
sliding it on the 2x6 edges would leave a real loose fit and the
window would probably jam against the ribs in the steel siding.
Do they make something for this use? Or is there something else I can
use?

Thanks

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

How about a pocket door hardware kit, or even a bi-pass closet door
track and hardware. I'm going to put a cover for my vent pan on
barn-door tracks but only because I have a spare set, it is serious
overkill.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Goedjn wrote:
On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 13:40:47 -0600, wrote:

[...]

How weathertight does it have to be?
I should think you'd be better off
mounting the window on the outside,
on a hooded-rail like a miniature
rolling door.

Was it here, or on misc.rural a few year back that someone
was complaining about one of their horses putting a hoof through
a sheet-metal barn and screwing itself up so much it had to
be put down?

I agree there really ought to be something else interior wall than
simply 26 ga steel sheathing

In our barn, the windows are at normal height, framed w/ conventional
sill and simply slide between the 2x6 studs w/ a screwed-in stop rail
and then the opening is covered w/ a framed heavy screen. During the
60+ yrs it was still used as horse/mule/milking barn, never any problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 15 Nov 2006 15:00:05 -0800, "dpb" wrote:

Goedjn wrote:
[...]

This usenet is weird. The post where the person said about "horses
putting a hoof through........... " never showed up on here, but it's
quoted in this posting.....

ANyhow, I fully agree, and I NEVER leave the barn with just steel
sides. I put 5/8 or 3/4 inch plywood from the ground up at least 3
feet. Above that there is really no problem with just tin siding. I
never had a horse get a leg caught in the siding, but I did have a
goat do this, and the leg was pretty cut up. The goat did heal and
survive, but aftert that I put plywood all the way around the base of
the walls.

My window is well above that. The bottom of it is about 6 feet off
the ground and the window is something like 32 inches long and 18
wide. It's actually a 3 pane basement window, but it will be ideal
for the barn. I got some of that fiberglass siding right under the
roof in a few places for light, but want a window for summer
ventilation.

I suppose I could slide it right on the wood, if only there was a way
to keep it snug. The 2x6s are a full 2 inches thick (local saw mill).
The window is 1 1/4 inches. I want a fairly snug fit. I like a
non-drafty barn in winter. Actually I got all winter to think about
this, because it starting to get real cold outdoors and I just sided
that wall today, and went right over the window for now. Just want to
get the building closed up. I can always unscrew that sheet of steel
next summer and deal with the window.

Maybe one of the welding shops in town would have an aluminum channel
of sorts too??????

Thanks

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

You can order vinyl-framed slider windows any size you want from a lumber
yard. I have four of them in the rear of my concrete block garage, 16x32
inch to fit a two by two block gap. They are about 1.5 inches thick and
have a nailing flange all around.

Ken

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

You could get U-channel metal 1.5 inches wide to attach top and bottom of
the space between your girts for the window to slide in. Alternatively, get
3/4 inch angle iron from a welding shop and use it to make a channel.
--Ken