Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default USB Memory sticks

In message
,
Weatherlawyer writes

Unfortunately, you cant buy Samsung-branded microSD cards on the
retail market, as far as I know

A quick web search for Samsung microsd shows plenty about, eg:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0058TUDGE

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message
In message ,
polygonum writes
On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 22:11:33 +0100, wrote:

1GB is SO old it must go back YEARS.

I remember when I started secondary school back in 2006, I was well
respected for having a 1GB memory stick :-) I was one of 2 who had
one with such a large capacity at the time. I have just been given
a free 2GB one from work!

I remember at my secondary school being given some punch cards and
being pointed at a hand-punch and a code chart. And we were
incredibly ahead of most schools...

I remember getting shown an "electronic calculator" at school

about the size of a desktop PC

Fantastic Maxie, fantastic! Did it have valves?

You mean toobs ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 1165269 20120925 142426 Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Bob Martin wrote:

in 1165226 20120925 124655 Tim Streater wrote:
In article
,
"Man at B&Q" wrote:

On Sep 25, 8:00ÂÂ*am, "dennis@home"
wrote:

That would be at least 44 years ago.

1968 then.

I don't recall ever seeing punched tape around at that time.

It was around until well into the 70s.

I was using paper tape on an 803 in 1965, and cards on a 7094 in 1967.

7094 in 1967? Where was that? I was a CE on CEGB's 7094 but that had
been replaced by 360s by 1967. Wasn't aware of any others.

Imperial College. It was there for some years after I left.

Ah - that was a 7090 when I was there (got called out to it during the
England-Argentina match in 1966 World Cup).
Probably got replaced by the CEGB machine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/09/2012 20:10, Murmansk wrote:
I saw this at the old Tetley Brewery in Leeds the other day

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ouutuvng6x...8Medium%29.jpg

Can anyone tell me anything about it and a date?

There is a 1956 advert for the US version on eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1956-Live-...-/270974969373

You can just about make out the text on an enlarged view.

The one you saw has keys for 10, 11, 12 and 1/2, which suggests it
was modified to calculate in pounds, shillings and pence for the
UK market.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/09/2012 00:15, michael adams wrote:

"Murmansk" wrote in message
I saw this at the old Tetley Brewery in Leeds the other day

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ouutuvng6x...8Medium%29.jpg

Can anyone tell me anything about it and a date?

It's a comptometer, or glorified adding machine.

michael adams

My very first job in 1974 was a "programmer" for Sumlock Anita (formerly
Sumlock Comptometer") in Farringdon.
I still have some comptometer counters* c/o the repair centre, and also
an LED calculator with their Unique Selling Point - a square-root key.
It sold for around £80 - one month's salary.

I was programming a kind of desk printer/calculator with four function
keys, which ran an octal machine-code macro when pressed.

My colleage worked on some kind of solicitor's accounting system that
was programmed by cutting diodes off a circuit board.

* I'm sure we called them decatrons but not like
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decatron.
What I have are valve-like bulbs with loads of filaments that display
the numbers 0 to 9.

--
Reentrant

Posted to uk.d-i-y

djc wrote:
On 25/09/12 12:17, Man at B&Q wrote:
On Sep 25, 8:00 am, "dennis@home"
wrote:

1968 then.

I don't recall ever seeing punched tape around at that time.

It was around until well into the 70s.

I was using it at NCR in 1974.

Still in use at universities in 1983 as were punched cards. My thesis was
formatted using ROFF and carted across to the only department with a
Sanders printer on a spool of tape so that I could get a decent print out.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixie_tube

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/09/2012 09:40, Nightjar wrote:
On 25/09/2012 20:10, Murmansk wrote:
I saw this at the old Tetley Brewery in Leeds the other day

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ouutuvng6x...8Medium%29.jpg

Can anyone tell me anything about it and a date?

There is a 1956 advert for the US version on eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1956-Live-...-/270974969373

You can just about make out the text on an enlarged view.

The one you saw has keys for 10, 11, 12 and 1/2, which suggests it
was modified to calculate in pounds, shillings and pence for the
UK market.

Colin Bignell

I forgot to add - the lack of a farthing key suggests that machine dates
from the 1960s.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

1968 then.

I don't recall ever seeing punched tape around at that time.

It was around until well into the 70s.

I was using it at NCR in 1974.

When I started at ITT in 1975, we booted the 3200s from paper tape, and it
was used to store all our source - we wrote our (ESPL/1) code onto coding
sheets, and the punch room punched it onto paper tape. You could get them
to correct errors or do updates, or you could do it yourself on a KSR/33. The
punch room operators could read paper tape by eye. I left ITT in May 1976,
and paper tape was still in wide use there then.

That's how I started, except I was doing O level computer studies and
the punch room was in the local Poly computing centre. They may have
been able to read tape by eye but we very quickly learned how
important it was to distinguish O and 0, etc., as there was weeks turn
around submitting the coding sheet in onbe weeks leson ang getting the
results the following week. Thankfully we soon graduated from CESIL on
paper tape to BASIC and punched cards that we could punch ourselves.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 26/09/12 09:58, Reentrant wrote:

My very first job in 1974 was a "programmer" for Sumlock Anita (formerly
Sumlock Comptometer") in Farringdon.
I still have some comptometer counters* c/o the repair centre, and also
an LED calculator with their Unique Selling Point - a square-root key.
It sold for around £80 - one month's salary.

My first job in 1974 was in Chancery Lane. First week there they sent me
off on an errand to somewhere around Smithfield to collect a new
calculator. I remember the Anita name, and how expensive, big and
primitive it it soon seemed a few years later.

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 00:03:33 +0100, geoff wrote:
I remember getting shown an "electronic calculator" at school

about the size of a desktop PC

I had an IME86 with a row of Nixies for the display - heavy ******* it
was! (http://uknet.com/gallery2/d/15914-2/024_IME_86_S.jpg)

I'm still kicking myself for getting rid of it as the chances of finding
another are slim, but I thinned out nearly all of the heavier stuff in
the collection when I moved overseas just to hopefully reduce the
eventual shipping costs a bit.

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

1968 then.

I don't recall ever seeing punched tape around at that time.

It was around until well into the 70s.

I was using it at NCR in 1974.

Still in use at universities in 1983 as were punched cards. My thesis was
formatted using ROFF and carted across to the only department with a
Sanders printer on a spool of tape so that I could get a decent print out.

Ah happy days. Large machines had an enormous 16 k of store, disks, when
they arrived were 8mb. Programmers were employed with maths degrees
solely to reduce the amount of store the programs needed. Microsoft
could use that discipline. Paper tape and cards were the main input,
though tape arrive a bit later.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Huge wrote:

I'd rather like a Nixie tube clock;

http://www.store.tubeclock.com/index...ie-tube-clocks

colleague has one of those on his desk at work. It is indeed, rather cool

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"D.M.Chapman" dmc@puffin. wrote in message
In article ,
Huge wrote:

I'd rather like a Nixie tube clock;

http://www.store.tubeclock.com/index...ie-tube-clocks

colleague has one of those on his desk at work. It is indeed, rather cool

Darren

Made one of those ~1970. 7490, 7492 & 74141? from bi-pak or was it
bi-pre-pak, remember them?
Prob is, I think Nixies are ~£10 each if you can find 'em, usually NOS.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 04:18:48 -0700 (PDT), "Man at B&Q"
wrote:

The
punch room operators could read paper tape by eye.

In 1970 I surprised a roomful of people by doing exactly that on a
visit to an office where there was a paper tape machine. That was the
first time I'd encountered one - about half an hour previously.
I just took it for granted that people could do that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 23:22:12 +0100, brass monkey wrote:

Prob is, I think Nixies are ~£10 each if you can find 'em, usually NOS.

Not quite that much have a look on eBay. Depends on what size you want.
Quite a few in the UK and as expected the ex USSR...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 09:58:04 +0100, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 23:22:12 +0100, brass monkey wrote:

Prob is, I think Nixies are ~£10 each if you can find 'em, usually NOS.

Not quite that much have a look on eBay. Depends on what size you want.
Quite a few in the UK and as expected the ex USSR...

I like old display tech. I always wanted 81 of them to do a wall-mounted
sudoku game, with a bunch of visible circuitry for control, but it's
really one of those things where I'd do it if a box of 'em fell into my
lap, but it'd be too expensive to buy them outright otherwise.

I do have a small handful which I salvaged from some old grain counters,
so I'll make the customary Nixie clock at some point when I eventually
ship them state-side.

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/2012 17:26, Jim Hawkins wrote:
Just had a 1GB Kingston Data Traveller give up the ghost.
I see you can get up to 64GB USB memory sticks these days
Which makes and sizes have the best reputation/longest lives ?

Jim Hawkins

Choose whichever model on Amazon reviews has unit price of 60p/GB or
less and a 5* review. There are fakes and a handful of complete lemons
so fragile that they fall apart when you breathe on them but these days
they are consumer items and will last accordingly. I have yet to wear
one out. Lost one from a pocket - yes. Beware of fake ones on eBay.

If you want one for ReadyBoost then you might need to pay a slight
premium or wait for a special offer to come along. Patriot XTreme are
fast and seem to resist wear and tear in a robust environment better
than most. Best price performance is in the 8-16GB sizes at present.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown