Posted to uk.d-i-y
RJH RJH is offline

Default DIY Bath Panel

Need a new bath panel, and even if I liked the off-shelf ones, £50+
seems a bit much.
This sort of thing looks OK:

http://www.gregdurrant.co.uk/carpent...oodworking/248

But he's a bit quiet on corners, and I don't have a router*, so rebating
the cladding would be tricky. The rest of the bathroom has new/stripped
pine elsewhere.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Rob

* I see a router/table/bits can be had for about £80 at Aldi but I can't
see much other use for it. I have most other woodworking tools.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:

Need a new bath panel, and even if I liked the off-shelf ones, £50+
seems a bit much.
This sort of thing looks OK:

http://www.gregdurrant.co.uk/carpent...oodworking/248

But he's a bit quiet on corners, and I don't have a router*, so rebating
the cladding would be tricky. The rest of the bathroom has new/stripped
pine elsewhere.

Dead easy to do, I've done maybe 10 over the last 3 years.
2x1 framework first. Pieces of skirting to match existing, or a
suitable moulding along the bottom. T+G then fitted, horizontal or
vertical, as required, then another piece of suitable moulding along the
top to finish off. It costs more than £10 though, probably £25ish.

If 2 sides of the bath are showing, just use another piece of moulding
at the corner, or, butt up the T+G, then fix a piece of angled moulding
to the outside.
Finish by either painting or varnishing. I've been using a Sadolin white
varnish that give a dull 'whitewashed' effect recently, customers love
it.

Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2012 05:52, RJH wrote:
Need a new bath panel, and even if I liked the off-shelf ones, £50+
seems a bit much.
This sort of thing looks OK:

http://www.gregdurrant.co.uk/carpent...oodworking/248

But he's a bit quiet on corners, and I don't have a router*, so rebating
the cladding would be tricky. The rest of the bathroom has new/stripped
pine elsewhere.

I did ours similarly but simpler; I didn't make a complete removable
panel as such but fitted the T&G strips individually and permanently
(though I glued the last three together to make one removable service
access panel).

There was a rough timber framework behind the T&G, so I could nail them
top and bottom; no routing involved - I didn't use a top rail, just
tucked the T&G under the lip of the bath edge. Bottom rail is a length
of skirting, matching the rest of the room. All looks good.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2012 08:53, Lobster wrote:
On 22/09/2012 05:52, RJH wrote:
[...]

+1.

If you don't have a router and have never used one it's not justified on
this job. Plenty of mouldings in the better sheds for corners, etc. They
look expensive until you have tried and realise the amount of time,
effort, and material to get up the router learning curve!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RJH RJH is offline

On 22/09/2012 05:52, RJH wrote:
[...]

Thanks all - the tucking under the bath edge bit will work, and just
been out for some T&G. Onwards :-)

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2012 05:52, RJH wrote:
Need a new bath panel, and even if I liked the off-shelf ones, £50+
seems a bit much.
This sort of thing looks OK:

http://www.gregdurrant.co.uk/carpent...oodworking/248

But he's a bit quiet on corners, and I don't have a router*, so rebating
the cladding would be tricky. The rest of the bathroom has new/stripped
pine elsewhere.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Rob

* I see a router/table/bits can be had for about £80 at Aldi but I can't
see much other use for it. I have most other woodworking tools.

I broke ours removing it to lay some Aqualoc flooring. I made a
temporary panel using the leftover flooring with battens behind. Several
years later it's still there ...

--
Reentrant

Trimming a bath panel [email protected][_2_] UK diy 12 December 28th 07 02:10 PM
bath panel tony g UK diy 4 August 26th 06 08:17 AM
Looking for bath side panel news UK diy 0 August 6th 06 12:05 PM
Bath Panel [email protected] UK diy 2 October 30th 05 10:28 PM
Bath panel poser truman UK diy 10 August 28th 04 08:37 AM