Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TiN drill bits

Hi,

There's a set on promotion at CPC:
http://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d002...?Ntt=tl1044908

though Toolstation seems to sell an identical set:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Powe.../sd2784/p68138

Has anyone bought either?

Any good?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fred writes:
Hi,

There's a set on promotion at CPC:
http://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d002...?Ntt=tl1044908

I think I have these, but not used them yet - bought them and dropped
them off at a friends place where I'm helping him with some DIY.
Note that they are for drilling wood and plastic, not metal.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fred wrote:
Hi,

There's a set on promotion at CPC:
http://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d002...?Ntt=tl1044908

though Toolstation seems to sell an identical set:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Powe.../sd2784/p68138

Has anyone bought either?

Any good?

They actually only have a coating. What good that does apart from looking
pretty, I dunno.

Look out for the same thing in Lidl. Cheaper than either. And very decent
quality. Perhaps slightly brittle in the small sizes - but they are cheap
enough in bulk anyway.

--
*Ever stop to think and forget to start again?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 09:54:41 +0000 (UTC), (Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
Fred writes:
Hi,

There's a set on promotion at CPC:
http://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d002...?Ntt=tl1044908

I think I have these, but not used them yet - bought them and dropped
them off at a friends place where I'm helping him with some DIY.
Note that they are for drilling wood and plastic, not metal.

Can't understand that. I regularly use Titaniium Nitride coated drills on
metals without a problem (mild steel, alloy steel, aluminium alloys, brass, cast
iron) Some are also split points, the majority of my normal HSS drills once
they need regrinding are also split points

They are usually Dormer or Guhring though and not some unknown Chinese pound
shop special.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Fred writes:
Hi,

There's a set on promotion at CPC:
http://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d002...?Ntt=tl1044908

I think I have these, but not used them yet - bought them and dropped
them off at a friends place where I'm helping him with some DIY.
Note that they are for drilling wood and plastic, not metal.

Ah - didn't read that bit. Wood drills are generally cheaper than HSS
types - which makes them even poorer value, compared to the Lidl ones
which are for steel, as well as wood and plastics.

--
*Wrinkled was not one of the things I wanted to be when I grew up

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, September 20, 2012 11:04:03 AM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,

Fred wrote:

Hi,

There's a set on promotion at CPC:

http://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d002...?Ntt=tl1044908

though Toolstation seems to sell an identical set:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Powe.../sd2784/p68138

Has anyone bought either?

Any good?

They actually only have a coating. What good that does apart from looking

pretty, I dunno.

the thin titanium coating is many times harder than hss, and lower friction.

NT

Look out for the same thing in Lidl. Cheaper than either. And very decent

quality. Perhaps slightly brittle in the small sizes - but they are cheap

enough in bulk anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
They actually only have a coating. What good that does apart from
looking

pretty, I dunno.

the thin titanium coating is many times harder than hss, and lower
friction.

So fine if the drill comes well sharpened - and you chuck it away when
blunt?

--
*Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2012 10:54, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Fred writes:
Hi,

There's a set on promotion at CPC:
http://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d002...?Ntt=tl1044908

I think I have these, but not used them yet - bought them and dropped
them off at a friends place where I'm helping him with some DIY.
Note that they are for drilling wood and plastic, not metal.

I'd have thought that TiN was a waste of time on wood and plastic bits.
Presumably it is *real* TiN and not the yellow fake coating which is
sometimes found on cheapies?

Real TiN makes a big difference on proper HSS bits, screwdriver bits,
etc. It is also near universal on carbide inserts used on machining centres.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred writes:

Hi,

There's a set on promotion at CPC:

http://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d002...?Ntt=tl1044908

I think I have these, but not used them yet - bought them and dropped

them off at a friends place where I'm helping him with some DIY.

Note that they are for drilling wood and plastic, not metal.

I'd have thought that TiN was a waste of time on wood and plastic bits.

Presumably it is *real* TiN and not the yellow fake coating which is

sometimes found on cheapies?

Real TiN makes a big difference on proper HSS bits, screwdriver bits,

etc. It is also near universal on carbide inserts used on machining centres.

Why do you say fake coatings? If they were fake they'd soon wear off.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2012 10:00, Fred wrote:
Hi,

There's a set on promotion at CPC:
http://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d002...?Ntt=tl1044908

though Toolstation seems to sell an identical set:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Powe.../sd2784/p68138

Has anyone bought either?

Any good?

I have the Toolsatan set. Seems OK to me, but I don't drill that many
holes in metal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fred wrote:
Note that they are for drilling wood and plastic, not metal.

Thanks. That's interesting. Is it that all TiN bits that are
unsuitable for metal or just this set from CPC?

The ones Lidl sell are suitable for steel too - that's what I mostly use
them on. It could be just the way the tip is ground that makes them for
wood etc only.

--
*Arkansas State Motto: Don't Ask, Don't Tell, Don't Laugh.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Fred
writes
Hi,

There's a set on promotion at CPC:
http://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d002...lloy-steel-dri
ll/dp/TL1044908?Ntt=tl1044908

Duratool?

Aren't they advertised on TV as cheese sticks?

though Toolstation seems to sell an identical set:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Powe...+Titanium+Dril
l+Bits/HSS+Titanium+Metric+Drill+Bit+Set+19+Piece/d80/sd2784/p68138

Has anyone bought either?

Any good?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Other Mike
writes
On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 09:54:41 +0000 (UTC), (Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

http://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d002...-alloy-steel-d
rill/dp/TL1044908?Ntt=tl1044908

I think I have these, but not used them yet - bought them and dropped
them off at a friends place where I'm helping him with some DIY.
Note that they are for drilling wood and plastic, not metal.

Can't understand that. I regularly use Titaniium Nitride coated drills on
metals without a problem (mild steel, alloy steel, aluminium alloys,
brass, cast
iron) Some are also split points, the majority of my normal HSS drills once
they need regrinding are also split points

They are usually Dormer or Guhring though and not some unknown Chinese pound
shop special.

Duratool are hardly "unknown"

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, September 20, 2012 11:40:50 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,

Fred wrote:

Note that they are for drilling wood and plastic, not metal.

Thanks. That's interesting. Is it that all TiN bits that are

unsuitable for metal or just this set from CPC?

The ones Lidl sell are suitable for steel too - that's what I mostly use

them on. It could be just the way the tip is ground that makes them for

wood etc only.

Titanium coating gives better performance in all materials. Whether a bit's sutiable for metal depends on how its ground. Most titanium bits are regular twist drills optimised for drilling steel - which also makes them poor performers on wood, but its still the most popular bit shape for wood drilling.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Other Mike wrote:
Can't understand that. I regularly use Titaniium Nitride coated drills
on metals without a problem (mild steel, alloy steel, aluminium alloys,
brass, cast iron) Some are also split points, the majority of my normal
HSS drills once they need regrinding are also split points

They are usually Dormer or Guhring though and not some unknown Chinese
pound shop special.

It would be interesting to do a comparison between Dormer etc and the Lidl
sets. The Lidl set goes from 0.5 - 10mm in 0.5mm steps, and comes in a
decent steel box. For about 6 quid. I've found them very satisfactory for
jobbing work. How much would a Dormer set cost? The odd ones I've bought
from the local tool shop are terrifyingly expensive. I really can't see
them being worth the extra.

--
*I went to school to become a wit, only got halfway through.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 00:01:57 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message , The Other Mike

They are usually Dormer or Guhring though and not some unknown Chinese pound
shop special.

Duratool are hardly "unknown"

Despite being a Farnell brand, IMHO they carry the same aura as Ratners the
jewellers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ifty quiOn Fri, 21 Sep 2012 10:24:47 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
The Other Mike wrote:
Can't understand that. I regularly use Titaniium Nitride coated drills
on metals without a problem (mild steel, alloy steel, aluminium alloys,
brass, cast iron) Some are also split points, the majority of my normal
HSS drills once they need regrinding are also split points

They are usually Dormer or Guhring though and not some unknown Chinese
pound shop special.

It would be interesting to do a comparison between Dormer etc and the Lidl
sets. The Lidl set goes from 0.5 - 10mm in 0.5mm steps, and comes in a
decent steel box. For about 6 quid. I've found them very satisfactory for
jobbing work. How much would a Dormer set cost? The odd ones I've bought
from the local tool shop are terrifyingly expensive. I really can't see
them being worth the extra.

There are no direct Dormer equivalents in metal boxes of that range, 0.1 steps
to 6mm @ 80 quid or 0.5 steps to 13 @ 100 quid

Plastic cased 0.1 steps to 10mm are about fifty quid

As to if they are worth it. For the vast majority, no.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, September 21, 2012 8:27:09 AM UTC+1, newshound wrote:
On 20/09/2012 19:59, meow2222 wrote:

I'd have thought that TiN was a waste of time on wood and plastic bits.

Presumably it is *real* TiN and not the yellow fake coating which is

sometimes found on cheapies?

Real TiN makes a big difference on proper HSS bits, screwdriver bits,

etc. It is also near universal on carbide inserts used on machining centres.

Why do you say fake coatings? If they were fake they'd soon wear off.

NT

They do. They are put on to fool people into thinking they are high

quality bits.

All I can say is I often go for cheap brands with drill bits, and have never had a titanium coating wear off.

Cheap titanium screwdriver bits I did try once, and had poor results with, so I don't buy those. The problem wasn't the coating, but the underlying metal giving way.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 12:27:44 +0100, The Other Mike
wrote:

Despite being a Farnell brand, IMHO they carry the same aura as Ratners the
jewellers

Yes, I don't know why, but I think that too. Perhaps it's just a poor
choice of name; it sounds cheap and nasty regardless of how good the
items are. That's why I was asking about them here before buying.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, September 24, 2012 8:48:11 PM UTC+1, Fred wrote:
On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 17:07:23 -0700 (PDT), meow2222 wrote:

Titanium coating gives better performance in all materials. Whether a bit's=

sutiable for metal depends on how its ground. Most titanium bits are regul=

ar twist drills optimised for drilling steel - which also makes them poor p=

erformers on wood, but its still the most popular bit shape for wood drilli=

ng.

I'm not familiar with all the different types of bit geometry but I

guess the "split point" bit is the key phrase here. Is that a style

optimized for wood? Perhaps the toolstatioon set is not split point,

which would explain the difference?

General purpose twist drills have cutting edge angles optimised for steel. These angles are terrible performers with wood. I regrind dead bits to make much more aggressively angled twist drills for wood use, and the difference is like night & day.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Drill_bit

NT

Drill bits Natty Takeup UK diy 2 June 9th 09 08:43 AM
Bad Drill Bits!!! If you don't have a Darex Drill Doctor, read atyour own risk of failing to understand. spaco Metalworking 7 December 21st 07 12:57 AM
Underground, quarrying, mining, air-leg, jack-leg, hand-held rock drills, button bit, drag bits,drill rod, drill tube, drill bit, core bit, core barrel, diamonde core bit, DTH hammer, taper rod, integral drill rod, taper bit, rock drilling tools wangsbin Woodturning 0 September 1st 06 07:34 AM
Which Style Drill Bits to Buy? / Opinions on Craftsman Drill Bits? JWho Metalworking 18 November 20th 05 07:07 AM
Titanium Forstner drill bits doesn't drill Fred Woodworking 18 September 4th 05 09:45 PM