Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Drill bits

I wonder if anyone can help. I need to fix 15 x 2 metre long metal rails
("T" section) vertically to a concrete wall. I'll be using those 'self
tapping' bolts that require a 6mm hammerdrill bit. I will need to drill 8
holes in each rail.

Q.1. How much larger will the rail holes need to be 6.5, 7.00, 7.5mm Etc?

Q.2. Nowadays, which drill bit manufacturer is considered high quality?

Q.3. Is there a good, reliable on-line source to the above? Many thanks.

Nathaniel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Natty Takeup wrote:
I wonder if anyone can help. I need to fix 15 x 2 metre long metal rails
("T" section) vertically to a concrete wall. I'll be using those 'self
tapping' bolts that require a 6mm hammerdrill bit. I will need to drill
8 holes in each rail.

Q.1. How much larger will the rail holes need to be 6.5, 7.00, 7.5mm Etc?

Sounds like seven should be ample - do the fixings not specify a
clearance hole?

Q.2. Nowadays, which drill bit manufacturer is considered high quality?

What sort of drill? For a SDS bit then most makes will be fine as long
as you avoid the 3 for a quid range from a pound shop.

For conventional masonry drills, then the Bosch multimaterial bits are
very good.

Q.3. Is there a good, reliable on-line source to the above? Many thanks.

Take your pick: Screwfix, Toolstation, Axminster etc.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
Natty Takeup wrote:

Thanks John my virgin.net newserver hung onto this post for a couple of
days, so I repeated it on news.individual (above) under "drill bits info
please".

drill bits Herb and Eneva Home Repair 14 February 22nd 08 01:09 PM
Bad Drill Bits!!! If you don't have a Darex Drill Doctor, read atyour own risk of failing to understand. spaco Metalworking 7 December 21st 07 12:57 AM
Underground, quarrying, mining, air-leg, jack-leg, hand-held rock drills, button bit, drag bits,drill rod, drill tube, drill bit, core bit, core barrel, diamonde core bit, DTH hammer, taper rod, integral drill rod, taper bit, rock drilling tools wangsbin Woodturning 0 September 1st 06 07:34 AM
Which Style Drill Bits to Buy? / Opinions on Craftsman Drill Bits? JWho Metalworking 18 November 20th 05 07:07 AM
Titanium Forstner drill bits doesn't drill Fred Woodworking 18 September 4th 05 09:45 PM