Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dead CFLs

Yesterday during a storm, my reading lamp flickered a bit (not unusual
during a storm). Then it started making fizzy noises, emitted sparks,
and finished off with a few puffs of smoke. The tube now has a small,
burnt-looking hole and appears to have cracked, and the base was far too
hot to touch.

Reading the 'warranty' for the bulb rather surprised me - "In certain
circumstances at the end of its life,a CFL may emit smoke and a melting,
plastic-like odor. This is a common occurrence in all brands of CFLs and
is not considered dangerous."

Is this truly a _common_ occurrence? I've been using CFLs for years, and
have never seen one die like this before.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

No not in my experience. I did have an el cheapo b/Q one actually lose its
tube completely once. Found it on the carpet, but they swapped it for a new
one as it was only about 3 months old. They reckon it had used the wrong
glue to hold it in. You just can't trust these Chinese makers can you..
grin.
What worried me was that ok the glue gave way,but surely the tube was held
in by solder or a socket for the wire ends?
Brian

From the sofa of Brian Gaff -

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"S Viemeister" wrote in message
Yesterday during a storm, my reading lamp flickered a bit (not unusual
during a storm). Then it started making fizzy noises, emitted sparks, and
finished off with a few puffs of smoke. The tube now has a small,
burnt-looking hole and appears to have cracked, and the base was far too
hot to touch.

Reading the 'warranty' for the bulb rather surprised me - "In certain
circumstances at the end of its life,a CFL may emit smoke and a melting,
plastic-like odor. This is a common occurrence in all brands of CFLs and
is not considered dangerous."

Is this truly a _common_ occurrence? I've been using CFLs for years, and
have never seen one die like this before.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 18:48:16 -0400, S Viemeister
wrote:

Yesterday during a storm, my reading lamp flickered a bit (not unusual
during a storm). Then it started making fizzy noises, emitted sparks,
and finished off with a few puffs of smoke. The tube now has a small,
burnt-looking hole and appears to have cracked, and the base was far too
hot to touch.

Reading the 'warranty' for the bulb rather surprised me - "In certain
circumstances at the end of its life,a CFL may emit smoke and a melting,
plastic-like odor. This is a common occurrence in all brands of CFLs and
is not considered dangerous."

Is this truly a _common_ occurrence? I've been using CFLs for years, and
have never seen one die like this before.

Many years ago I experienced a CFL that after fitting lasted about one mains
cycle before doing that. Huge ear shattering bang on power up and the external
temperature of the base got way above the point of contemplating holding it.

Can't fault the distributor (Farnell) as they were very proactive in withdrawing
them from sale and giving an immediate refund not just on that lamp but the
other ones purchased. Some days later their supplier contacted me for further
information but they left the distinct impression they couldn't give a toss
about it, hardly surprising as it was 'Ring'

First they came for the CFLs... HeyBub[_3_] Home Repair 7 February 24th 12 12:40 PM
electric double oben dead - suspect fan element but why whole lot dead? Jim K[_3_] UK diy 33 November 15th 11 12:55 AM
3-way CFLs? Nate Nagel Home Repair 20 September 20th 10 07:28 AM
More dead in Mexican Drug war in 3 yrs....5 x the number of dead in Iraq/Aghanistan Bill Noble[_2_] Metalworking 1 April 27th 10 05:57 AM
CFLs....again No Name Home Repair 14 May 13th 09 12:05 PM