Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default shame this is closing

Its a shame this shop is closing. I'll have to pop in before it goes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2204952

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 18, 6:13*pm, sm_jamieson wrote:
Its a shame this shop is closing. I'll have to pop in before it goes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2204952

"shop that has not changed in 115 years" I'm surprised they can't see
the problem.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What shop?

Brian

From the sofa of Brian Gaff -

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
Its a shame this shop is closing. I'll have to pop in before it goes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2204952

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, September 18, 2012 6:39:14 PM UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
What shop?

Brian

From the sofa of Brian Gaff -

Blind user, so no pictures please!

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message

Its a shame this shop is closing. I'll have to pop in before it goes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2204952

Sorry Brian, the post includes a link to an artice titled:

Shelved after a century: Homewares shop that has not changed in 115 years closes down after being beaten by 'the modern age'.

The shop is The Period House Shop in Warwick.

Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ah a bit like all the traditional hardware shops where you could actually go
and look at things and measure them without being presented with blister
packs and no way to know if what you bought was up to the job.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
On Tuesday, September 18, 2012 6:39:14 PM UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
What shop?

Brian

From the sofa of Brian Gaff -

Blind user, so no pictures please!

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message

Its a shame this shop is closing. I'll have to pop in before it goes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2204952

Sorry Brian, the post includes a link to an artice titled:

Shelved after a century: Homewares shop that has not changed in 115 years
closes down after being beaten by 'the modern age'.

The shop is The Period House Shop in Warwick.

Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2012 18:13, sm_jamieson wrote:
Its a shame this shop is closing. I'll have to pop in before it goes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2204952

A shame indeed - but massively over-hyped by the Daily Wail. If you look
at the Period House Shop's own website, it is clear that this company
has only existed since 1985!

The shop may have existed as an ironmongers since
eighteen-something-or-other - but not under that name. When I came to
live just outside Warwick in the 1960's it was called Wyllie's - and was
much bigger than the current shop, also occupying what is now a separate
shop to the right of it.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2012 19:52, Brian Gaff wrote:
Ah a bit like all the traditional hardware shops where you could actually go
and look at things and measure them without being presented with blister
packs and no way to know if what you bought was up to the job.

There is a hardware shop 5 minutes from my front door that is still like
that. Bins full of loose nails - sold by the Kg, bins full of bolts +
nuts, 50+ bins with screws that you can buy in 10s or boxes of 200,
individual plumbing fittings, bath plugs etc. When purchasing
electrical fittings they will ask if you want it cheap or quality(MK) -
they stock both. Not the cheapest of places but always busy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
Its a shame this shop is closing. I'll have to pop in before it goes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2204952

Looks like the sort of place you could buy 'four candles'.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan writes:
On 18/09/2012 19:52, Brian Gaff wrote:
Ah a bit like all the traditional hardware shops where you could actually go
and look at things and measure them without being presented with blister
packs and no way to know if what you bought was up to the job.

There is a hardware shop 5 minutes from my front door that is still like
that. Bins full of loose nails - sold by the Kg, bins full of bolts +
nuts, 50+ bins with screws that you can buy in 10s or boxes of 200,
individual plumbing fittings, bath plugs etc. When purchasing
electrical fittings they will ask if you want it cheap or quality(MK) -
they stock both. Not the cheapest of places but always busy.

Similar near me...
http://www.fleet-people.co.uk/shoppi.../business.html
When I moved here, it took me a while to realise they stock just about
everything, including lots of things I failed to find in the sheds.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2012 20:22 mark wrote:

Looks like the sort of place you could buy 'four candles'.

They have none of those, but they do sell fork handles...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2012 20:14, alan wrote:
On 18/09/2012 19:52, Brian Gaff wrote:
Ah a bit like all the traditional hardware shops where you could
actually go
and look at things and measure them without being presented with blister
packs and no way to know if what you bought was up to the job.

There is a hardware shop 5 minutes from my front door that is still like
that. Bins full of loose nails - sold by the Kg, bins full of bolts +
nuts, 50+ bins with screws that you can buy in 10s or boxes of 200,
individual plumbing fittings, bath plugs etc. When purchasing
electrical fittings they will ask if you want it cheap or quality(MK) -
they stock both. Not the cheapest of places but always busy.

We've got one like that 5 minutes away too. Small shop with shelving
close together to fit everything in - you have to come out from between
the shelves to pass someone! Prices are actually very good - way, way
cheaper than any chain. Unfortunately they aren't open on Sunday
afternoons or Wednesdays - which I keep forgetting

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
o.uk...
On 18/09/2012 20:22 mark wrote:

Looks like the sort of place you could buy 'four candles'.

They have none of those, but they do sell fork handles...

and some 'ose

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 18/09/12 20:31, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
alan writes:
[...]

following that link leads to a page with 'above the fold':

Why not try...
Profile image for Robert Dyas Holdings Ltd Robert Dyas Holdings Ltd
01252 623255
Ads by Google

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, September 18, 2012 8:02:52 PM UTC+1, Roger Mills wrote:
On 18/09/2012 18:13, sm_jamieson wrote:

Its a shame this shop is closing. I'll have to pop in before it goes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2204952

A shame indeed - but massively over-hyped by the Daily Wail. If you look

at the Period House Shop's own website, it is clear that this company

has only existed since 1985!

The shop may have existed as an ironmongers since

eighteen-something-or-other - but not under that name. When I came to

live just outside Warwick in the 1960's it was called Wyllie's - and was

much bigger than the current shop, also occupying what is now a separate

shop to the right of it.

--

I think they should have combined it with a traditional sweet shop.

"I'll have half a pound of 2 inch screws and a quarter of sherbets please".
Would have gone down well if you didn't get the bags mixed up.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 20:59:21 +0100, SteveW
wrote:

On 18/09/2012 20:14, alan wrote:
[...]

We used to have one like that but they kept changing their opening
hours so I nearly always went there to find they were closed.

Now it's just the sheds with those damn blister packs.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 10:33:18 -0700 (PDT), Man at B&Q wrote:

Its a shame this shop is closing. I'll have to pop in before it goes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2204952

"shop that has not changed in 115 years" I'm surprised they can't see
the problem.

Seems to me that the ought to be trading on the web as well as in the
shoppe. Oh they do:

http://www.periodhouseshops.com/catalogue.php

So whats this bit about being unable to compete against the web? Are they
putting themselves out of business? And what about the two other shops?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 10:33:18 -0700 (PDT), Man at B&Q wrote:

Its a shame this shop is closing. I'll have to pop in before it goes:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2204952

Seems to me that the ought to be trading on the web as well as in the
shoppe. Oh they do:

http://www.periodhouseshops.com/catalogue.php

So whats this bit about being unable to compete against the web? Are they
putting themselves out of business? And what about the two other shops?

No publicity is bad publicity ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

In article
,
sm_jamieson wrote:
Its a shame this shop is closing. I'll have to pop in
before it goes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2204952

Just started an interview on R4 'You & Yours'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 20:04:12 +0100, Roger Mills
wrote:

A shame indeed - but massively over-hyped by the Daily Wail. If you look
at the Period House Shop's own website, it is clear that this company
has only existed since 1985!

The shop may have existed as an ironmongers since
eighteen-something-or-other - but not under that name. When I came to
live just outside Warwick in the 1960's it was called Wyllie's - and was
much bigger than the current shop, also occupying what is now a separate
shop to the right of it.

So, there's been AN ironmongery there on that site since
eighteen-canteen, but it's not been in continuous ownership; indeed,
it's not been the same business at all, really.
Looks to me as if the present owner bought it to cash in on the
emerging trend for repro-old-tat and it's now died out. He rode the
wave and fell off, dude.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/2012 10:01, Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 10:33:18 -0700 (PDT), Man at B&Q wrote:

Its a shame this shop is closing. I'll have to pop in before it goes:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2204952

Seems to me that the ought to be trading on the web as well as in the
shoppe. Oh they do:

http://www.periodhouseshops.com/catalogue.php

So whats this bit about being unable to compete against the web? Are they
putting themselves out of business? And what about the two other shops?

No publicity is bad publicity ...

Also, the bit about Warwick suffering due to next door Leamington
becoming a spa is complete cobblers! Leamington was a spa *before* the
original shop opened!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

A shame indeed - but massively over-hyped by the Daily Wail. If you look
at the Period House Shop's own website, it is clear that this company
has only existed since 1985!

The shop may have existed as an ironmongers since
eighteen-something-or-other - but not under that name. When I came to
live just outside Warwick in the 1960's it was called Wyllie's - and was
much bigger than the current shop, also occupying what is now a separate
shop to the right of it.

So, there's been AN ironmongery there on that site since
eighteen-canteen, but it's not been in continuous ownership; indeed,
it's not been the same business at all, really.
Looks to me as if the present owner bought it to cash in on the
emerging trend for repro-old-tat and it's now died out. He rode the
wave and fell off, dude.

That's about right. We've been in to the shop in its present guise a few
times, but have never found what we wanted at an acceptable price - if
at all.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
"Dave Liquorice" writes:
On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 10:33:18 -0700 (PDT), Man at B&Q wrote:

Its a shame this shop is closing. I'll have to pop in before it goes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2204952

"shop that has not changed in 115 years" I'm surprised they can't see
the problem.

Seems to me that the ought to be trading on the web as well as in the
shoppe. Oh they do:

http://www.periodhouseshops.com/catalogue.php

So whats this bit about being unable to compete against the web? Are they
putting themselves out of business? And what about the two other shops?

Have you seen their prices? Make sure you're sitting down...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/2012 12:43, JTM wrote:
In article
,
sm_jamieson wrote:
Its a shame this shop is closing. I'll have to pop in
before it goes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2204952

Just started an interview on R4 'You & Yours'

I heard that and thought they had been reading uk.d-i-y
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2012 20:31, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Similar near me...
http://www.fleet-people.co.uk/shoppi.../business.html
When I moved here, it took me a while to realise they stock just about
everything, including lots of things I failed to find in the sheds.

+1, one of my kids lives in Fleet and this was a welcome discovery on
our first visit to their new house.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 19, 7:16*pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article o.uk,
* * * * "Dave Liquorice" writes:

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 10:33:18 -0700 (PDT), Man at B&Q wrote:

Its a shame this shop is closing. I'll have to pop in before it goes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2204952

"shop that has not changed in 115 years" I'm surprised they can't see
the problem.

Seems to me that the ought to be trading on the web as well as in the
shoppe. Oh they do:

http://www.periodhouseshops.com/catalogue.php

So whats this bit about being unable to compete against the web? Are they
putting themselves out of business? And what about the two other shops?

Have you seen their prices? Make sure you're sitting down...

--
Andrew Gabriel

Certainly the lighting stuff is unlikely to all have been " cast in
their own foundry" , how much for braided cable ,

the much missed Dunns of Blair St in Edinburgh was genuine ironmongers
that went afetr 140 odd years,
sheet metal sold by weight,
Ask for 5mm bolts ?
get a patient list of questions
length?
head , slotted, pozidrive, philips, hex, hex socket,anti-tamper?
You need metric fine or coarse?
Steel, stainless steel, brass?
Black japanned, bright zinc plated , chromium plated , nickel plated..
Then they`d go away, down into depths of building to retrieve the 6
bolts you were after, then wrapped them in a page of old yellow pages
kept on counter for the purpose. and cahrge you the 36p + VAT.

Period House reminds me of Italian leather jacket shop also around
Edinburgh, the ill starred Mr Toscana appeared to be having a `Divorce
Sale` at least annualy for several years from different premises...

Cheers
Adam