Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT timing belt replacement

I have my car (Skoda Octavia diesel) regularly serviced by the Skoda
dealer from whom I originally purchased it new.
The dealer is pressurising me to have the timing belt replaced. My
service schedule booklet says this should happen after 150000Km. My
vehicle has done less than 40000Km although it is 4 years old now.
Surely(??) this is an attempted rip off? I had to sign a declaration
that I had rejected their advice when the car was serviced a month ago!

Am I missing something?
Frank
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Frank wrote:
I have my car (Skoda Octavia diesel) regularly serviced by the Skoda
dealer from whom I originally purchased it new.
The dealer is pressurising me to have the timing belt replaced. My
service schedule booklet says this should happen after 150000Km. My
vehicle has done less than 40000Km although it is 4 years old now.
Surely(??) this is an attempted rip off? I had to sign a declaration
that I had rejected their advice when the car was serviced a month ago!

60,000 miles was suggested for my Citroen diesel. I will shortly be coming
up to belt no 3.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Frank wrote:
I have my car (Skoda Octavia diesel) regularly serviced by the Skoda
dealer from whom I originally purchased it new.
The dealer is pressurising me to have the timing belt replaced. My
service schedule booklet says this should happen after 150000Km. My
vehicle has done less than 40000Km although it is 4 years old now.
Surely(??) this is an attempted rip off? I had to sign a declaration
that I had rejected their advice when the car was serviced a month
ago!
Am I missing something?

Yes. You are using a main dealer to service a 4 year old car.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Frank wrote:
I have my car (Skoda Octavia diesel) regularly serviced by the Skoda
dealer from whom I originally purchased it new.
The dealer is pressurising me to have the timing belt replaced. My
service schedule booklet says this should happen after 150000Km. My
vehicle has done less than 40000Km although it is 4 years old now.
Surely(??) this is an attempted rip off? I had to sign a declaration
that I had rejected their advice when the car was serviced a month ago!

Am I missing something?

It could be there is a time limit for belt replacement as well as a
mileage one - whichever comes first. Such things can deteriorate without
ever being used. Like say tyres.
If you have a service book for the car, does it give details of what needs
done at service time?

--
*Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/12 12:17, Frank wrote:
I have my car (Skoda Octavia diesel) regularly serviced by the Skoda
dealer from whom I originally purchased it new.
The dealer is pressurising me to have the timing belt replaced. My
service schedule booklet says this should happen after 150000Km. My
vehicle has done less than 40000Km although it is 4 years old now.
Surely(??) this is an attempted rip off? I had to sign a declaration
that I had rejected their advice when the car was serviced a month ago!

Am I missing something?
Frank

It's due on age at 4 years.

Personally, I'd change it soonish, 5 years at latest. Use and
independent, not the dealer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank wrote:
I have my car (Skoda Octavia diesel) regularly serviced by the Skoda
dealer from whom I originally purchased it new.
The dealer is pressurising me to have the timing belt replaced. My
service schedule booklet says this should happen after 150000Km. My
vehicle has done less than 40000Km although it is 4 years old now.
Surely(??) this is an attempted rip off? I had to sign a declaration
that I had rejected their advice when the car was serviced a month ago!

Am I missing something?

well a little.

There is a finite chance the belt will let go and wreck the engine and
if you are out of warranty that's a huge repair bill, and they don't
want you suing them.

Driven reasonably and well maintained 6 years/60k miles is the general
service interval.

So sign the thing and wait another year.

Frank

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Bartram wrote:
On 15/09/12 12:17, Frank wrote:
I have my car (Skoda Octavia diesel) regularly serviced by the Skoda
dealer from whom I originally purchased it new.
The dealer is pressurising me to have the timing belt replaced. My
service schedule booklet says this should happen after 150000Km. My
vehicle has done less than 40000Km although it is 4 years old now.
Surely(??) this is an attempted rip off? I had to sign a declaration
that I had rejected their advice when the car was serviced a month ago!

Am I missing something?
Frank

It's due on age at 4 years.

Personally, I'd change it soonish, 5 years at latest. Use and
independent, not the dealer.

I had two let go on me. Vauxhall Nova and Vauxhall Astra SRI. SRI IIRC
at 80K and the Nova at 100K . Both happened at very low RPM and damage
was limited to bent valves and broken rockers. £250 and £180 bills then
- it was a long time ago.

OTOH it can destroy an engine completely.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2012 12:17, Frank wrote:
I have my car (Skoda Octavia diesel) regularly serviced by the Skoda
dealer from whom I originally purchased it new.
The dealer is pressurising me to have the timing belt replaced. My
service schedule booklet says this should happen after 150000Km. My
vehicle has done less than 40000Km although it is 4 years old now.
Surely(??) this is an attempted rip off? I had to sign a declaration
that I had rejected their advice when the car was serviced a month ago!

Am I missing something?
Frank

Skoda have moved the goalposts. If you contact them with your
registration number, they will tell you the new, lower figure. It's
either a scam to create work for their dealers or belts are going faster
than they thought. Your choice.
I had mine done after 8 years/40k when my local garage had a special
offer (two thirds the price of the Skoda dealer). I guess it adds to the
resale value
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I had two let go on me. Vauxhall Nova and Vauxhall Astra SRI. SRI IIRC
at 80K and the Nova at 100K . Both happened at very low RPM and damage
was limited to bent valves and broken rockers. £250 and £180 bills then
- it was a long time ago.

I also had a belt go on a Nova - pulling away from lights at very slow
speed/revs. However, my belt went close to the recommended mileage.
More modern cars seem to have a much longer recommended period between
belt changes. the OP is asking it is wise to replace a belt at 30% of
the recommended period.

A dealer asking a customer to sign a wavier that some (unnecessary) work
has not been done smacks of sharp practice. It is an underhand method of
scaring people with no knowledge of cars into parting with cash.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2012 13:07, stuart noble wrote:
I guess it adds to the
resale value

Does a Skoda have any resale value @ 40K+?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/12 13:17, alan wrote:

I had two let go on me. Vauxhall Nova and Vauxhall Astra SRI. SRI IIRC
at 80K and the Nova at 100K . Both happened at very low RPM and damage
was limited to bent valves and broken rockers. £250 and £180 bills then
- it was a long time ago.

I also had a belt go on a Nova - pulling away from lights at very slow
speed/revs. However, my belt went close to the recommended mileage.
More modern cars seem to have a much longer recommended period between
belt changes. the OP is asking it is wise to replace a belt at 30% of
the recommended period.

A dealer asking a customer to sign a wavier that some (unnecessary) work
has not been done smacks of sharp practice. It is an underhand method of
scaring people with no knowledge of cars into parting with cash.

They're arse-covering. The official change period is 4 years/X miles,
whichever is the soonest. They have a duty to tell him.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Frank
writes
I have my car (Skoda Octavia diesel) regularly serviced by the Skoda
dealer from whom I originally purchased it new.
The dealer is pressurising me to have the timing belt replaced. My
service schedule booklet says this should happen after 150000Km. My
vehicle has done less than 40000Km although it is 4 years old now.
Surely(??) this is an attempted rip off? I had to sign a declaration
that I had rejected their advice when the car was serviced a month ago!

50,000 miles seems to be the average replacement interval

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , alan
writes
On 15/09/2012 13:07, stuart noble wrote:
I guess it adds to the
resale value

Does a Skoda have any resale value @ 40K+?

It depends on how much petrol is in the tank

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan wrote:
On 15/09/2012 13:07, stuart noble wrote:
I guess it adds to the
resale value

Does a Skoda have any resale value @ 40K+?

Certainly. These days they are very well respected.

Id certainly buy a S/H skoda if it fitted my needs.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/12 13:25, alan wrote:
On 15/09/2012 13:07, stuart noble wrote:
I guess it adds to the
resale value

Does a Skoda have any resale value @ 40K+?

That might have worked in 1990.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Bartram wrote:
On 15/09/12 13:25, alan wrote:
On 15/09/2012 13:07, stuart noble wrote:
I guess it adds to the
resale value

Does a Skoda have any resale value @ 40K+?

That might have worked in 1990.

"Can I have a set of wiper blades for my Skoda?"

"Sounds a reasonable swap..."

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2012 12:17, Frank wrote:
I have my car (Skoda Octavia diesel) regularly serviced by the Skoda
dealer from whom I originally purchased it new.
The dealer is pressurising me to have the timing belt replaced. My
service schedule booklet says this should happen after 150000Km. My
vehicle has done less than 40000Km although it is 4 years old now.
Surely(??) this is an attempted rip off? I had to sign a declaration
that I had rejected their advice when the car was serviced a month ago!

Am I missing something?

Timing belts often have a service interval specified in time and
mileage... so it may be 150km or 4 years whichever comes first.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2012 12:17 Frank wrote:

I have my car (Skoda Octavia diesel) regularly serviced by the Skoda
dealer from whom I originally purchased it new.
The dealer is pressurising me to have the timing belt replaced. My
service schedule booklet says this should happen after 150000Km. My
vehicle has done less than 40000Km although it is 4 years old now.
Surely(??) this is an attempted rip off? I had to sign a declaration
that I had rejected their advice when the car was serviced a month ago!

Am I missing something?

Timing belt age is as important as mileage. I'd have it done rather than
risk an engine with its internals rearranged when the belt gives up and
valves meet pistons.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2012 12:17, Frank wrote:
I have my car (Skoda Octavia diesel) regularly serviced by the Skoda
dealer from whom I originally purchased it new.
The dealer is pressurising me to have the timing belt replaced. My
service schedule booklet says this should happen after 150000Km. My
vehicle has done less than 40000Km although it is 4 years old now.
Surely(??) this is an attempted rip off? I had to sign a declaration
that I had rejected their advice when the car was serviced a month ago!

Am I missing something?
Frank

I've been given to understand that service intervals generally are set
on the high side to keep the perceived costs down for the fleet market.

Having many years ago worked as a mechanic I would be very careful in
selecting the right kind of workshop to undertake that job because with
some it is a safer not to have the work done at all...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 15, 12:17*pm, Frank wrote:
I have my car (Skoda Octavia diesel) regularly serviced by the Skoda
dealer from whom I originally purchased it new.
The dealer is pressurising me to have the timing belt replaced. My
service schedule booklet says this should happen after 150000Km. My
vehicle has done less than 40000Km although it is 4 years old now.
Surely(??) this is an attempted rip off? I had to sign a declaration
that I had rejected their advice when the car was serviced a month ago!

Am I missing something?
Frank

Get a second opinion/look at the handbook.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 15, 1:39*pm, Chris Bartram
wrote:
On 15/09/12 13:25, alan wrote: On 15/09/2012 13:07, stuart noble wrote:
*I guess it adds to the
resale value

Does a Skoda have any resale value @ 40K+?

That might have worked in 1990.

What do you call a Skoda with twin exhausts?
Wheelbarrow.

They are owned/designed by VW nowadays.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"djornsk" wrote in message
[...]

^^^^this
Make sure their insurance will cover it if they screw-up and it er
screws-up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/12 12:17, Frank wrote:
I have my car (Skoda Octavia diesel) regularly serviced by the Skoda
dealer from whom I originally purchased it new.
The dealer is pressurising me to have the timing belt replaced. My
service schedule booklet says this should happen after 150000Km. My
vehicle has done less than 40000Km although it is 4 years old now.
Surely(??) this is an attempted rip off? I had to sign a declaration
that I had rejected their advice when the car was serviced a month ago!

I just had to have my VW done at 4 years, Skoda are probably using the
same engines these days.
They have another scam awaiting you - when you book it in for the timing
belt change they'll tell you that you really should have the water pump
changed at the same time - that'll be another 100 quid please. This is
because in their infinite wisdom VW have decided that instead of driving
the water pump off the fan belt like it's been done forever they drive
it off the timing belt, and when they put in a nice tight new timing
belt the water pump bearings will collapse under the strain, and instead
of that being the half hour job it would be on any sensible car it's
another 800 quid. I was sceptical but I googled it and they are right,
it does happen.
In the end I got it done under a special offer, 399 for timing belt and
water pump which wasn't too bad compared to the original quote.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Sep 2012 13:04:50 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Chris Bartram wrote:
On 15/09/12 12:17, Frank wrote:
[...]

Vauxhall seemed to favour interference designs at one point (and may
still do) - I've known belts to let go on a couple of Astras that
belonged to friends, and a Belmont that my father had. Those all went at
low RPM too (coincidence?) and caused similar levels of damage.

OTOH it can destroy an engine completely.

Indeed. Or not at all, depending on the design.

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Bartram wrote:
On 15/09/12 12:17, Frank wrote:
[...]

Of two Astras that I've driven, both company cars, both 1995,
recommended change intervals of 60,000 miles and both failed, wrecking
the top-end, at 37,000. BTW, it wasn't my driving style, as both failed
just before I started working there and after repair ended up as my
company cars at different times!

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Bartram wrote:
On 15/09/12 12:17, Frank wrote:
[...]

It's difficult to tell what to do, I bought an old camper, only 18k on the
clock but 15 years old, still on the original belt. I got it changed PDQ but
then, the cowboys? who changed it may have caused it to crash within the
next 18 months (we'll see). I've used these cowboys? for 40+ years and know
that they have insurance to cover such probs. You pays yer money and errrr
pays yer money. What experience do they have? How many belts do they change?
Do they have the correct tensioning kit? Does "the kid" do it or someone
with a clue etc etc. Also, they order the belt, it gets delivered, if they
don't check the number of teeth you're gonna be up **** creek - sorry sir,
we found that the whelping wheel was out of kilter and has screwed your
engine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"brass monkey" wrote in message
eb.com...

Chris Bartram wrote:
On 15/09/12 12:17, Frank wrote:
[...]

There's always -
http://www.timing-belt-failure-insurance.co.uk/
but maybe another bunch of cowboys.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank wrote:
I have my car (Skoda Octavia diesel) regularly serviced by the Skoda
dealer from whom I originally purchased it new.
The dealer is pressurising me to have the timing belt replaced. My
service schedule booklet says this should happen after 150000Km. My
vehicle has done less than 40000Km although it is 4 years old now.
Surely(??) this is an attempted rip off? I had to sign a declaration
that I had rejected their advice when the car was serviced a month ago!

Am I missing something?
Frank

find out whether it is an interference engine or not, one type no damage
when belts break, the other usually has damage.
It is to do with whether the valves hit the piston when out of synch.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F Murtz wrote:
Frank wrote:
I have my car (Skoda Octavia diesel) regularly serviced by the Skoda
dealer from whom I originally purchased it new.
The dealer is pressurising me to have the timing belt replaced. My
service schedule booklet says this should happen after 150000Km. My
vehicle has done less than 40000Km although it is 4 years old now.
Surely(??) this is an attempted rip off? I had to sign a declaration
that I had rejected their advice when the car was serviced a month ago!

Am I missing something?
Frank

find out whether it is an interference engine or not, one type no damage when belts break,

Are there any of those left (non-interference engines)? I was under the
impression that all modern engines were now interference engines.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Sep 2012 13:25:26 +0100, alan
wrote:

On 15/09/2012 13:07, stuart noble wrote:
I guess it adds to the
resale value

Does a Skoda have any resale value @ 40K+?

Yep. I got £400 for my 12 year old 260,000 mile Octavia. Which was
£400 more than I expected.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan :
A dealer asking a customer to sign a wavier that some (unnecessary)
work has not been done smacks of sharp practice. It is an underhand
method of scaring people with no knowledge of cars into parting with
cash.

I understand that in this case the work is recommended by the
manufacturer, so the dealer is not the one to go pointing a finger at.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, September 15, 2012 1:36:45 PM UTC+1, geoff wrote:

Does a Skoda have any resale value @ 40K+?

It depends on how much petrol is in the tank

--

geoff

Petrol in the tank would make it worthless. It's a diesel.

Ask on the Briskoda forum. There's a recommended mileage/age.

Lots of taxi drivers use Octavias, they seem to last a long time. I've found Skoda dealers to be amongst the shiftiest, most devious con artists I've encountered, but I avoid main dealers like an incurable plague.

I enquired about a key fob that seemed to open the windows at random.
Main Dealer; "Yes, that indicates that the battery in the key fob has nearly expired, would you like us to change it for you?"
Me (detecting the old 'had-to-reprogramme-the-key-fob-for-another-£50, sir' scam on the horizon'); No, thanks.

On reading the manual later, I find that holding the open button causes all the windows to open and vice versa for holding the close button. The key fob battery was unchanged 3 years later.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/12 08:02, Tim+ wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
Frank wrote:
I have my car (Skoda Octavia diesel) regularly serviced by the Skoda
dealer from whom I originally purchased it new.
The dealer is pressurising me to have the timing belt replaced. My
service schedule booklet says this should happen after 150000Km. My
vehicle has done less than 40000Km although it is 4 years old now.
Surely(??) this is an attempted rip off? I had to sign a declaration
that I had rejected their advice when the car was serviced a month ago!

Am I missing something?
Frank

find out whether it is an interference engine or not, one type no damage when belts break,

Are there any of those left (non-interference engines)? I was under the
impression that all modern engines were now interference engines.

Tim

This one most certainly is.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/12 19:30, pcb1962 wrote:
This is
because in their infinite wisdom VW have decided that instead of driving
the water pump off the fan belt like it's been done forever they drive
it off the timing belt,

VW have done this for *years*. (since at least 1974) So have Vauxhall, IIRC.

and when they put in a nice tight new timing
belt the water pump bearings will collapse under the strain, and instead
of that being the half hour job it would be on any sensible car it's
another 800 quid. I was sceptical but I googled it and they are right,
it does happen.

It's actually more the case that the pump is cheap (£35 ish). If it
fails with collapsed bearings, it strips the teeth off the belt, so
damages the engine. If you have the car apart to change the belt, a good
proportion of the work to change the pump is done, so it's a false
economy not to change it at today's labour rates.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2012 10:50 Chris Bartram wrote:

If you have the car apart to change the belt, a good
proportion of the work to change the pump is done, so it's a false
economy not to change it at today's labour rates.

It's the same with MG TFs. Change the water pump when you change the cam
belt. Extra labour costs are minimal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 02:00:44 -0700 (PDT) Onetap wrote :
Lots of taxi drivers use Octavias, they seem to last a long time. I've
found Skoda dealers to be amongst the shiftiest, most devious con
artists I've encountered, but I avoid main dealers like an incurable
plague.

I had two Skodas back in the UK, a Favorit and a VW-era Felicia. Paid
£6400 for the latter and sold it to another Skoda dealer for £4000 after
three years, warranty work nil.

More recently when deciding to buy a car here I had a Fabia Wagon on my
shortlist but didn't pursue this after reading some horrendous posts re
servicing costs and the potential cost of replacing DSG transmissions.
And they're not a cheap car any more - a 77TSI auto wagon driveaway
price is around A$28K, say £18,000.

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
Onetap writes
On Saturday, September 15, 2012 1:36:45 PM UTC+1, geoff wrote:

Does a Skoda have any resale value @ 40K+?

It depends on how much petrol is in the tank

Petrol in the tank would make it worthless. It's a diesel.

OK substitute "Petrol" for "fuel" - happy ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jules Richardson wrote:
Vauxhall seemed to favour interference designs at one point (and may
still do) - I've known belts to let go on a couple of Astras that
belonged to friends, and a Belmont that my father had. Those all went at
low RPM too (coincidence?) and caused similar levels of damage.

It's a very unusual engine design which isn't interference. Even my old
pushrod Rover V8 - designed in the '60s - will allow the valves to hit the
pistons if the timing chain breaks. Luckily, this is almost unknown on
pushrod engines.

--
*Income tax service - We‘ve got what it takes to take what you've got.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Jules Richardson wrote:
Vauxhall seemed to favour interference designs at one point (and may
still do) - I've known belts to let go on a couple of Astras that
belonged to friends, and a Belmont that my father had. Those all went at
low RPM too (coincidence?) and caused similar levels of damage.

It's a very unusual engine design which isn't interference. Even my old
pushrod Rover V8 - designed in the '60s - will allow the valves to hit the
pistons if the timing chain breaks. Luckily, this is almost unknown on
pushrod engines.

I think that if you delve into it, its an intersting area. Combustion
chamber design has changed radically with some engines having it almost
remote from the main piston area, and valves are now larger and have
variable timing as well..and turbochargers mean you can start with a
lower compression engine anyway which leaves more room for valves.

Pushrod engines bent the rods or the rockers. Todays OHC and alloy
rocker heads just break the rockers instead and may bend valve stems.
Thy knock out with the valve guides so repair is not so bad.

Piston failure and bent conrods are less common than is supposed - in
timing belt failure. You get that more if a big end lets go :-)

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2012 13:25, alan wrote:
Does a Skoda have any resale value @ 40K+?

Don't see why it should be any different to anything else they make -
VW, Audi, Skoda, Seat, Bentley or Bugatti (IIRC)

Skoda aren't the eastern block rubbish they were 30 years ago. Or at
least I hope they aren't as my Mum just bought one on my suggestion...

Andy