Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Insect detector?

Hi

Following my earlier post on woodlice in my living room, is there such
a thing that could detect their movement and record their point of
entry starting by positioning it at doors and windows etc. Possibly a
sensitive cctv arrangement dedicated to this cause, or have I just
made that up. I am extremley keen to resolve this!

Thanks again

Alec
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, alec
green writes
Hi

Following my earlier post on woodlice in my living room, is there such
a thing that could detect their movement and record their point of
entry starting by positioning it at doors and windows etc. Possibly a
sensitive cctv arrangement dedicated to this cause, or have I just
made that up. I am extremley keen to resolve this!

Get a spiny anteater

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 12:48:40 -0700 (PDT), alec green
wrote:

Following my earlier post on woodlice in my living room, is there such
a thing that could detect their movement and record their point of
entry starting by positioning it at doors and windows etc. Possibly a
sensitive cctv arrangement dedicated to this cause, or have I just
made that up. I am extremley keen to resolve this!

Motion detector, laser beam, kind of thing?
Sure.
Just wait a while.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alec green" wrote in message
Hi

Following my earlier post on woodlice in my living room, is there such
a thing that could detect their movement and record their point of
entry starting by positioning it at doors and windows etc. Possibly a
sensitive cctv arrangement dedicated to this cause, or have I just
made that up. I am extremley keen to resolve this!

Thanks again

Alec

There are cheapo recorded CCTV systems that have motion detection to
initiate recording. Buddy of mine has a four channel one at his shop, and
one of the cameras points down the shop towards the front window. If someone
walks past, it starts that channel recording. The actual image of the person
is small compared to the rest of the picture, which is mainly the inside of
the shop, and it picks that up ok, so I guess if you had a camera zoomed in
on a small area that you wanted to check, a woodlouse wandering across the
field should be enough to get it going ?

Something like this, maybe ?

http://cpc.farnell.com/cnm-secure/sk...era/dp/SR08245

Hard to say without trying it, I guess

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 12:48:40 -0700 (PDT), alec green wrote:

Following my earlier post on woodlice in my living room, is there such
a thing that could detect their movement and record their point of
entry starting by positioning it at doors and windows etc.

Woodlice are crustacea they cannot survive without moisture. Look for
damp areas with rotten plant material. Window/door cills/frames outside
or piles if stuff near woodlice sized entrances. They don't generally
travel further than a few feet into dry areas.

But TBH they don't spread disease or cause any damage(*) so why worry
about 'em?

(*) They feed on decaying plant material but as they don't have strong
mouth parts it has to be pretty far gone for them to eat it. ie any
damage has already been by the rot first rather than the woodlice who are
just tidying up.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/09/2012 01:39, Arfa Daily wrote:

"alec green" wrote in message
[...]

Motion detectors mostly work on infra red and a insect are not warm.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 09:34:01 +0100, Gary wrote:

Motion detectors mostly work on infra red and a insect are not warm.

PIR ones do but not ones based on CCTV cameras...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alec green" wrote in message
[...]

I thought modern CCTV ones worked by frame comparison ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alec green" wrote in message

Hi

Following my earlier post on woodlice in my living room, is there such
a thing that could detect their movement and record their point of
entry starting by positioning it at doors and windows etc. Possibly a
sensitive cctv arrangement dedicated to this cause, or have I just
made that up. I am extremley keen to resolve this!

Thanks again

Alec

You could try this if a suitable camera is available to you. A basic webcam
could be all you need.
http://www.ispyconnect.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Gary
writes

http://cpc.farnell.com/cnm-secure/sk...-160gb-camera/
dp/SR08245

Hard to say without trying it, I guess

Arfa

Motion detectors mostly work on infra red and a insect are not warm.

Can be ...

http://journals.worldnomads.com/tjwh...bodia/The-deep
-fried-cockroaches-we-ate-in-Cambodia-for-a-mid-day-snack!

but CCTV motion detectors work on movement not temperature i.e. changes
from one frame to another

"get a life" would also be another suggestion

--
geoff