Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Glueing a badge in place

Have a rather nice wood rimmed steering wheel on the old Rover. Much nicer
than the oddly shaped original. But the centre of it is a fairly ugly
plastic moulding with a new Rover badge in the middle - more Metro than
SD1.

At a P6 meet the other day I noticed new spare wheel boot mounting badges
on sale which proved to be a perfect fit diameter wise, so bought one. Its
the fairly common method of making such things - clear smooth plastic on
the outside, with the 3D effect and colour applied to the back. Cut down
the original centre to just the bit that pushes in to the hub and glued
the badge to that with Evostick. Which melted the painted part and wrecked
it. ;-(

Got another. I can't work out any neat way of fixing it without using a
glue of some sort - but at 30 quid a pop don't want to experiment. It does
nothing other than cover the wheel boss and securing nut and is a tight
fit in the hole in the wheel, so only needs holding down as it were. What
would be safe - remembering it has to come off if I need to remove the
wheel. BluTack?

Here's a pic of the setup with the damaged centre fitted.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...5092012110.jpg

--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
[...]

Hot glue from a gun

Tacky enough to hold but crappy enough to come adrift if you need to get
under it again

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Here's a pic of the setup with the damaged centre fitted.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...5092012110.jpg

Hot glue from a gun

Tacky enough to hold but crappy enough to come adrift if you need to get
under it again

Can you be certain it won't touch the paint? The black part of the badge
is provided by the paint on the back - the actual body of the badge is
clear.

--
*Husbands should come with instructions

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
[...]

Automotive double sided adhesive like they stick door trim with
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 Sep 2012 16:29:03 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Got another. I can't work out any neat way of fixing it without using a
glue of some sort - but at 30 quid a pop don't want to experiment.

You have the old one to experiment on...

Hot glue might work but if the substrate is metal might cool/set too
quickly to enable the badge to be applied and centred/aligned properly.

Double sided sticky tape but might damage the paint on the badge on
removal.

Folded back on itself gaffer tape or other single sided tape? Experiment
in case the adhesive attacks the paint. Maybe that "invisible" selotape
stuff?

"White snot"? The stuff a little like blue tack but much stickier and
softer that is sometimes used to close junk mail envelopes or hold news
credit cards onto the covering letter.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Here's a pic of the setup with the damaged centre fitted.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...5092012110.jpg

Hot glue from a gun

Tacky enough to hold but crappy enough to come adrift if you need to get
under it again

Can you be certain it won't touch the paint? The black part of the badge
is provided by the paint on the back - the actual body of the badge is
clear.

its pretty good. I cant say that anything that is strong enough to
attach to the paint wont in the end tear the paint off when you remove it.

It wont attack it though. Appply to the wheel and then apply the actual
disk. The stuff I have is tacky at 50-60C - well below any plastic
melting range - although it comes out a fair bit hotter than that when
'runny'

The guns are cheap and craft places do them, Ranges of glue sticks
exist. Its a good toy that I keep finding new uses for.

its ab bit like a fast version of 'no more nails' which, come to think
of it might also work. Or simply use an acrylic sealant like decorators
caulk - that is like a very thick white glue and tacks to many things
more than plasterboard and wood..

Another that might work is water based latex contact glue. Copydex etc.

..

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F Murtz wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
[...]

...and there's another one!
the foam tape is best as it gap fills

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
[...]

I would give Blu Tack a go first of all.
It's cheap enough. I've used it for some very unusual jobs - securing the
cheap and nasty floating valve thing in the bog is one of them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Double sided tape perhaps?
It seems to have been good enough for Ford...

Brian

From the sofa of Brian Gaff -

Blind user, so no pictures please!
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 6 September 2012 16:29:11 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Got another. I can't work out any neat way of fixing it without using a
glue of some sort -

3M "Command" adhesive. Somewhere between foam pads and blu tack, with very easy removal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Have a rather nice wood rimmed steering wheel on the old Rover. Much nicer
than the oddly shaped original. But the centre of it is a fairly ugly
plastic moulding with a new Rover badge in the middle - more Metro than
SD1.

[snip]

How about getting a polished ali ring turned and use the steering wheel
allen screws to secure it?

--
Jim White
Wimbledon London England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I would coat the back with a more stable paint first, test for stability on
the damaged one.

What's wrong with the original SD1 wheel? I have one on my Land Rover and
love it despite its quirky shape.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Is there enouch depth for self-adhesive velcro?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Muddymike wrote:
What's wrong with the original SD1 wheel? I have one on my Land Rover
and love it despite its quirky shape.

Each to their own. ;-)

--
*He who laughs last, thinks slowest.