Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default washing machine bearings

Hi,

Our washing machine is loud on the spin. I wondering whether that is a
sign the bearings need to be replaced? OTOH if I was spinning at
1400rpm, I'm sure I'd make a noise too! I think the problem is that an
increase in noise is gradual, so you can never remember what it was
like before, to see if it has got worse.

I think the machine was bought about 2001 and IIRC it must have had a
5 year manufacturer's guarantee because I remember someone replacing
the bearings for us in about 2006.

On the basis that they lasted about 5 years last time, I suppose they
could be due for replacement again.

I understand it involves taking the machine apart and came be a big
job, so I am wondering is there a way to check that they really do
need changing before I embark on this?

In an ideal world, I would look at the spider and decide whether that
needed changing but I'll get in trouble if the machine is in bits for
too long. Should I just order a spider at the same time and change it
regardless?

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You are indeed lucky to have a machine which has replaceable bearings these
days, many are direct drive and the whole drum and motor are one very
expensive unit.

Brian

Email:

"Fred" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 05/09/2012 10:58, Brian Gaff wrote:
You are indeed lucky to have a machine which has replaceable bearings these
days, many are direct drive and the whole drum and motor are one very
expensive unit.

Brian

Its worth checking the spider before anything else, my machine made a
kind of loud clicking noise on spin and it was a worn spider, I could
feel the slight play when the back of the machine was accessed, £10
replacement and easy enough to fit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 05 Sep 2012 11:21:45 +0100, ss wrote:

Its worth checking the spider before anything else, my machine made a
kind of loud clicking noise on spin and it was a worn spider, I could
feel the slight play when the back of the machine was accessed, £10
replacement and easy enough to fit.

I'm thinking by the time I have stripped it down, I may as well change
the bearings too, so that I don't have to do it all over again another
time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 5 September 2012 15:35:22 UTC+1, Fred wrote:
On Wed, 05 Sep 2012 11:21:45 +0100, ss wrote: Its worth checking the spider before anything else, my machine made a kind of loud clicking noise on spin and it was a worn spider, I could feel the slight play when the back of the machine was accessed, £10 replacement and easy enough to fit. I'm thinking by the time I have stripped it down, I may as well change the bearings too, so that I don't have to do it all over again another time.

I think that the spider is normally easier to replace. Most machines have a removable panel on the back that lets you access it without having to dismantle the whole washing machine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AlanC" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 5 September 2012 15:35:22 UTC+1, Fred wrote:
On Wed, 05 Sep 2012 11:21:45 +0100, ss wrote: Its
worth checking the spider before anything else, my machine made a kind of
loud clicking noise on spin and it was a worn spider, I could feel the
slight play when the back of the machine was accessed, £10 replacement
and easy enough to fit. I'm thinking by the time I have stripped it down,
I may as well change the bearings too, so that I don't have to do it all
over again another time.

I think that the spider is normally easier to replace. Most machines have
a removable panel on the back that lets you access it without having to
dismantle the whole washing machine.

.... where "most" doesn't include Zanussi, or at least not the last two
washer dryers that I have had. Rather than the easy-to-service removable
panel as shown in the Haynes washing machine repair manual, these machines
have a casing made in two halves, where you have to remove only one half at
a time from the plastic inner frame. Each half of the casing is just about
strong enough to support most of the innards but you have to plan a
dismantling project very carefully, like the one I replaced the "tub seal"
on. Sadly a few weeks later the main bearings went, and while I was plucking
up the courage to fix it (and obtaining the necessary bearing puller) the
motor packed up so that was the end of it.

I replaced it with another Zanussi with a very similar construction, which
has so far had several faults (water valve, dryer fan, motor brushes) but
fortunately nothing yet that involves a full stripdown and removal of the
plastic "tub".

Good luck!
Simon.

Bearings in AEG washing machine Timothy Murphy[_2_] UK diy 17 December 25th 07 05:18 AM
Does this sound like the bearings in a washing machine? Steven Campbell[_3_] UK diy 10 December 8th 07 05:20 PM
Washing machine bearings EricP UK diy 0 November 19th 06 04:27 PM
washing machine bearings [email protected] UK diy 1 January 2nd 05 11:53 AM