Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default new kitchen doors for old 70s units - options? sources? costs?

old doors are standard widths, but seem 15mm shorter than anything seen so far :(

is "custom made" the only real option here?

cheers
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/12 12:11, Jim K wrote:
old doors are standard widths, but seem 15mm shorter than anything seen so far :(

is "custom made" the only real option here?

cheers
Jim K

I bought new kitchen doors from these people.
All made to measure and very pleased with everything.

http://www.larkandlarks.co.uk/

Andy C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim K wrote:
old doors are standard widths, but seem 15mm shorter than anything seen
so far :(

is "custom made" the only real option here?

cheers Jim K

I found it the other way round - new doors were the same height as my
imperial? originals, but slightly wider.

--
*Stable Relationships Are For Horses.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/2012 12:11, Jim K wrote:
old doors are standard widths, but seem 15mm shorter than anything seen so far :(

is "custom made" the only real option here?

cheers
Jim K

I replaced 80s MFI with current B&Q doors and drawer fronts. There was a
slight discrepancy on the height, but I was able to lose it by dropping
the drawer fronts slightly and exposing the bottom edge of the carcass a
little more. Looks fine IMO
The hinge positions weren't a problem either IIRC, although I forget the
precise details.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, September 4, 2012 12:11:55 PM UTC+1, Jim K wrote:
old doors are standard widths, but seem 15mm shorter than anything seen so far :(

is "custom made" the only real option here?

IKEA doors are 15mm shorter than most - 700mm rather than 715mm. Slightly limited range of widths, but those they do are standard.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
old doors are standard widths, but seem 15mm shorter than anything seen so far :(

is "custom made" the only real option here?

Maybe.

I have had custom sized doors made up by my local laminate suppliers
at prices *way* below any of the "replace your doors" firms that come
up with a google search.

A set of 14 doors and drawer fronts from them cost around £120,
several were custom sizes.

(Ipswich Plastics)

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, September 4, 2012 4:40:37 PM UTC+1, andrew wrote:
On Tuesday, September 4, 2012 12:11:55 PM UTC+1, Jim K wrote:

old doors are standard widths, but seem 15mm shorter than anything seen so far :(

is "custom made" the only real option here?

IKEA doors are 15mm shorter than most - 700mm rather than 715mm. Slightly limited range of widths, but those they do are standard.

mmm quick look online and they (Faktum) say they are 860mm tall - does that include legs?

do they sell doors seperate?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, September 4, 2012 1:41:20 PM UTC+1, Owain wrote:
On Sep 4, 12:11*pm, Jim K wrote:

old doors are standard widths, but seem 15mm shorter than anything seen so far :(

old worktop had a square edge with an L strip added on?

nope vintage worktop in amazing nick!

Could the doors just hang 15mm down below the base of the units?

could do spose
tho next issue is 865 matching wall unit doors!
followed by (all) hinge positions not matching ;((

Presumably there's a plinth?

aye a lovely shiny brown one :))

For the wall units, you could call it a concealed handle feature.

more of an "exposed contents" look!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, September 5, 2012 7:23:43 PM UTC+1, Jim K wrote:
On Tuesday, September 4, 2012 4:40:37 PM UTC+1, andrew wrote:

On Tuesday, September 4, 2012 12:11:55 PM UTC+1, Jim K wrote:

old doors are standard widths, but seem 15mm shorter than anything seen so far :(

is "custom made" the only real option here?

IKEA doors are 15mm shorter than most - 700mm rather than 715mm. Slightly limited range of widths, but those they do are standard.

mmm quick look online and they (Faktum) say they are 860mm tall - does that include legs?

ah wall units claim to be 700mm

tho still do they sell doors seperate?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
old doors are standard widths, but seem 15mm shorter than anything seen so
far :(

is "custom made" the only real option here?

cheers
Jim K

I replaced my old MFI ("Schreiber") doors with custom-made doors from he
http://www.kitchenrefurbs.co.uk/

I needed a wide range of sizes and they did a very good job. There were a
couple of cockups on grain direction and the machined edges on some "decor
panels" but the faulty bits were quickly re-made and the fished result was
great (well it passed the SWMBO test so that's good enough for me).

Best regards,
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 1159644 20120907 001411 "Simon Stroud" wrote:
"Jim K" wrote in message
old doors are standard widths, but seem 15mm shorter than anything seen so
far :(

is "custom made" the only real option here?

cheers
Jim K

I replaced my old MFI ("Schreiber") doors with custom-made doors from he
http://www.kitchenrefurbs.co.uk/

I needed a wide range of sizes and they did a very good job. There were a
couple of cockups on grain direction and the machined edges on some "decor
panels" but the faulty bits were quickly re-made and the fished result was
great (well it passed the SWMBO test so that's good enough for me).

Real men make their own ;-)