Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default screen background in XP

I have a .jpg picture (800 X 632 X 16M - 45kb) which I'd like to use as my
screen background.
Can it be done ? If so, how ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Can it be done ?

yes

If so, how ?

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

or

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

give you guidance as to how to do it

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim Hawkins" wrote in message
m...
I have a .jpg picture (800 X 632 X 16M - 45kb) which I'd like to use as my
screen background.
Can it be done ? If so, how ?

Right click on image and if the option to set as background is there select
it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim Hawkins wrote:
I have a .jpg picture (800 X 632 X 16M - 45kb) which I'd like to use
as my screen background.
Can it be done ? If so, how ?

right click on desktoppropertiesdesktopbrowse to any picture you like and
apply
10 seconds max, unless you can't find the picture.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim Hawkins wrote:
Can it be done ? If so, how ?

SYS "SystemParametersInfo", SPI_SETDESKWALLPAPER, 0, filename$, SPIF_UPDATEINIFILE

JGH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Robin writes
Can it be done ?

yes

If so, how ?

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...p/all/proddocs
/en-us/display_change_desktop_background.mspx?mfr=true

or

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...p/all/proddocs
/en-us/display_change_desktop_background.mspx?mfr=true

give you guidance as to how to do it

I've always done it through Control Panel etc. However, a slightly
quicker way is to right click on the existing desktop screen, in box
click 'Properties' (opens Display Properties), click Desktop tab, browse
to and select the required image.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim Hawkins wrote:
I have a .jpg picture (800 X 632 X 16M - 45kb) which I'd like to use
as my screen background.
Can it be done ? If so, how ?

The way I do it in XP SP3 Home is to convert it to a Bitmap image [1], save
it, and then copy and paste (or drag and drop it) into Explorer Windows
where it will show up in Display Properties Desktop where the other
Backgrounds are available and you can change between Backgrounds at will
without losing it.

If you want to have a check first, navigate to Explorer and click on
Windows, have a look in the Right hand pane and you'll the Backgrounds such
as Soap Bubbles etc in amongst the files there.

[1] The same method will work on JPEGs

Hope this helps

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim Hawkins wrote:
I have a .jpg picture (800 X 632 X 16M - 45kb) which I'd like to use as my
screen background.
Can it be done ? If so, how ?

cinch really
resize it to your computer scereen size, then simply (add it to the
directory where these thigs are stored and) select it

I am not even sure the last part is needful: IIRC you can select any
jpeg you want.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cash wrote:
Jim Hawkins wrote:
I have a .jpg picture (800 X 632 X 16M - 45kb) which I'd like to use
as my screen background.
Can it be done ? If so, how ?

The way I do it in XP SP3 Home is to convert it to a Bitmap image [1], save
it, and then copy and paste (or drag and drop it) into Explorer Windows
where it will show up in Display Properties Desktop where the other
Backgrounds are available and you can change between Backgrounds at will
without losing it.

If you want to have a check first, navigate to Explorer and click on
Windows, have a look in the Right hand pane and you'll the Backgrounds such
as Soap Bubbles etc in amongst the files there.

[1] The same method will work on JPEGs

not sure any need to convert a jpeg, or is that what you meant?

Hope this helps

Cash

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cash wrote:
Jim Hawkins wrote:
I have a .jpg picture (800 X 632 X 16M - 45kb) which I'd like to use
as my screen background.
Can it be done ? If so, how ?

The way I do it in XP SP3 Home is to convert it to a Bitmap image [1],
save it, and then copy and paste (or drag and drop it) into Explorer
Windows where it will show up in Display Properties Desktop where
the other Backgrounds are available and you can change between
Backgrounds at will without losing it.

If you want to have a check first, navigate to Explorer and click on
Windows, have a look in the Right hand pane and you'll the Backgrounds
such as Soap Bubbles etc in amongst the files there.

[1] The same method will work on JPEGs

not sure any need to convert a jpeg, or is that what you meant?

There was a time (long ago) where the image needed to be a bmp...
however beyond many of the sample wallpaper images still being in that
format, there is no actual need even if they might encourage that line
of thought.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim Hawkins wrote:
I have a .jpg picture (800 X 632 X 16M - 45kb) which I'd like to use
as my
screen background.
Can it be done ? If so, how ?

cinch really
resize it to your computer scereen size, then simply (add it to the
directory where these thigs are stored and) select it

I am not even sure the last part is needful: IIRC you can select any
jpeg you want.

The system can stretch the image for you, but it has limitations. For
example a 4:3 image stretched to fit a 16:10 desktop never looks good,
and manually cropping to the required aspect ratio first will help greatly.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Cash wrote:
Jim Hawkins wrote:
I have a .jpg picture (800 X 632 X 16M - 45kb) which I'd like to use
as my screen background.
Can it be done ? If so, how ?

The way I do it in XP SP3 Home is to convert it to a Bitmap image
[1], save it, and then copy and paste (or drag and drop it) into
Explorer Windows where it will show up in Display Properties
Desktop where the other Backgrounds are available and you can change
between Backgrounds at will without losing it.

If you want to have a check first, navigate to Explorer and click on
Windows, have a look in the Right hand pane and you'll the
Backgrounds such as Soap Bubbles etc in amongst the files there.

[1] The same method will work on JPEGs

not sure any need to convert a jpeg, or is that what you meant?

TNP,

As you say, there is no need to convert a JPEG to Bitmap in XP.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Cash wrote:
Jim Hawkins wrote:
[...]

I convert them to Bitmap John out of habit - I prefer, and still use Windows
98SE whenever I can and you have to convert there.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've always done it through Control Panel etc. However, a slightly
quicker way is to right click on the existing desktop screen, in box
click 'Properties' (opens Display Properties), click Desktop tab,
browse to and select the required image.

Yes - but that does require the user to know what/where is the desktop,
and if the user needs to ask in the first place.........

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/08/2012 20:59, Cash wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
Cash wrote:
Jim Hawkins wrote:
[...]

If you turn on "active desktop" in 98 then you can use JPEG there as well.

BMP is ok, but having practically* no image compression capability makes
for rather large file sizes.

* Apart from RLL which is only of use on images with large slabs of
solid colour.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Robin writes
I've always done it through Control Panel etc. However, a slightly
quicker way is to right click on the existing desktop screen, in box
click 'Properties' (opens Display Properties), click Desktop tab,
browse to and select the required image.

Yes - but that does require the user to know what/where is the desktop,
and if the user needs to ask in the first place.........

Yes, I too hate it when a description assumes you know more than you
actually do. I had naturally assumed that the OP would know what the
actual 'desktop' is.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Cash wrote:
Jim Hawkins wrote:
[...]

The requirement for it to be a .bmp image of the right size went away
with the web enabled desktop in Windows 98.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cash wrote:
Jim Hawkins wrote:
I have a .jpg picture (800 X 632 X 16M - 45kb) which I'd like to use
as my screen background.
Can it be done ? If so, how ?
The way I do it in XP SP3 Home is to convert it to a Bitmap image
[1], save it, and then copy and paste (or drag and drop it) into
Explorer Windows where it will show up in Display Properties
Desktop where the other Backgrounds are available and you can change
between Backgrounds at will without losing it.

If you want to have a check first, navigate to Explorer and click on
Windows, have a look in the Right hand pane and you'll the
Backgrounds such as Soap Bubbles etc in amongst the files there.

[1] The same method will work on JPEGs

not sure any need to convert a jpeg, or is that what you meant?

TNP,

As you say, there is no need to convert a JPEG to Bitmap in XP.

A neat trick to get a graduated background in '98 with a very small
desktop image is to enable the Active Desktop, and generate a two pixel
jpeg file, and use "stretch to fit" as the positioning option. A two
way gradient needs four pixels.

Wonders Checks Yup, it works in Windows 7, too.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 22:22:33 +0100, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , Robin writes
I've always done it through Control Panel etc. However, a slightly
quicker way is to right click on the existing desktop screen, in box
click 'Properties' (opens Display Properties), click Desktop tab,
browse to and select the required image.

Yes - but that does require the user to know what/where is the desktop,
and if the user needs to ask in the first place.........

Yes, I too hate it when a description assumes you know more than you
actually do. I had naturally assumed that the OP would know what the
actual 'desktop' is.

It doesn't really exist, no part of a GUI does, it's just a concept.
You might as well say the desktop is located under a given profile in
c:\documents and settings.

Anyway, a desktop perpendicular to the horizontal?
All your stuff will roll off.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Graham.
writes
On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 22:22:33 +0100, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , Robin writes
I've always done it through Control Panel etc. However, a slightly
quicker way is to right click on the existing desktop screen, in box
click 'Properties' (opens Display Properties), click Desktop tab,
browse to and select the required image.

Yes - but that does require the user to know what/where is the desktop,
and if the user needs to ask in the first place.........

Yes, I too hate it when a description assumes you know more than you
actually do. I had naturally assumed that the OP would know what the
actual 'desktop' is.

It doesn't really exist, no part of a GUI does, it's just a concept.
You might as well say the desktop is located under a given profile in
c:\documents and settings.

Indeed, I've never understood such things. I've always wondered where
the desktop really is located. It's one up from My Documents, but My
Documents is in C:\, and there is no Desktop in C:\.

Anyway, a desktop perpendicular to the horizontal?
All your stuff will roll off.

There has been the odd occasion when the PC has thrown a wobbly, and the
desktop icons have got scattered all over the place. However, they have
never actually rolled off.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Jackson wrote:

Indeed, I've never understood such things. I've always wondered where
the desktop really is located. It's one up from My Documents, but My
Documents is in C:\, and there is no Desktop in C:\.

Yes there is, try:- Computer C:/ users [user] Desktop
(Win7)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , soup writes
Ian Jackson wrote:

Indeed, I've never understood such things. I've always wondered where
the desktop really is located. It's one up from My Documents, but My
Documents is in C:\, and there is no Desktop in C:\.

Yes there is, try:- Computer C:/ users [user] Desktop
(Win7)

Actually, I knew it was hiding in there somewhere (just not where it
usually pretends to be, ie directly in C:\). On my ancient XP PC, it
appears to be in C:\ Documents and Settings [User (my name)]
Desktop.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/2012 01:40, Graham. wrote:

Anyway, a desktop perpendicular to the horizontal?
All your stuff will roll off.

I do remember back in the days before Windows a little TSR (terminate
and stay resident) program which would make the letters on a screen of
text fall off randomly and collect at the bottom of the page.

--
For every complex problem, there is a solution which is simple, neat,
and wrong.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:

Anyway, a desktop perpendicular to the horizontal?
All your stuff will roll off.

You'd prefer this?

http://stepsandleaps.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/msbobstudy.jpg