Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tin opener - silly question

Is there such a thing these days as a decent tin/can opener? Every one
we've had recently has bent/broke/split after a few months.
We buy them in pairs now [different types] to avoid 'no tin opener
misery'.

Any suggestions?

Ta muchly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 22:26:24 +0100, Simon Cee wrote:

Is there such a thing these days as a decent tin/can opener? Every one
we've had recently has bent/broke/split after a few months.
We buy them in pairs now [different types] to avoid 'no tin opener
misery'.

Any suggestions?

Ta muchly.

Best one we've had (and still got) was a nice soft handle one from
Lakeland.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Cee" wrote in message
Is there such a thing these days as a decent tin/can opener? Every one
we've had recently has bent/broke/split after a few months.
We buy them in pairs now [different types] to avoid 'no tin opener
misery'.

Any suggestions?

Ta muchly.

The more complicated they are the likelier they are to go wrong.

Years ago I had a small key ring opener which I somehow lost.
Which nobody would believe was a tin opener until
shown how it worked.

This is a bigger version which I've been using for a couple of
years

http://www.tigerstores.co.uk/tiger_h...r_1600239.html

£1

The only trick is first working out how it works. After that
it comes naturally and the cutter can be honed on a diamond
sharpener.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking Simon Cee wrote :
Is there such a thing these days as a decent tin/can opener? Every one
we've had recently has bent/broke/split after a few months.
We buy them in pairs now [different types] to avoid 'no tin opener
misery'.

Any suggestions?

Ta muchly.

Not that I have come across recently, they all do seem poorly made or
designed. For such emergencies, I keep a tiny tin opener on my key ring
where it has been for the last 40+ years. I think they are sold in
outdoor type shops, it is flat, with a small fold out hinged blade. It
always works, but not as fast as a kitchen drawer type one.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Cee :
Is there such a thing these days as a decent tin/can opener? Every one
we've had recently has bent/broke/split after a few months.
We buy them in pairs now [different types] to avoid 'no tin opener
misery'.

Any suggestions?

We've had a Culinaire Magican for well over 15 years and it works just
like the demo he http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGLQaZXAH9Y

--
Mike Barnes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Cee wrote:
Is there such a thing these days as a decent tin/can opener? Every one
we've had recently has bent/broke/split after a few months.
We buy them in pairs now [different types] to avoid 'no tin opener
misery'.

Any suggestions?

The army type which consists of a sharp, slightly hooked blade that
folds out of a shaped piece of metal. Works every time, and sits very
easily on a key ring. Also opens crown cork bottles on a good day. I
wouldn't be without mine, which is now at least 15 years old and still
works as well as ever.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/gelert-g...opener-p118110

Was the first out of the blocks on a Google search, and looks exactly
like mine.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 22:40:54 +0100
"michael adams" wrote:

"Simon Cee" wrote in message
[...]

That is similar to the standard American Military WWII issue opener,
called something like 'P-51', or some other famous aircraft. There are
plenty still in use in the US, even now.
--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"michael adams" wrote:

"Simon Cee" wrote in message
[...]

He P-38. I was close.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=p38+can+openers
--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Cee" wrote in message
Is there such a thing these days as a decent tin/can opener? Every one
we've had recently has bent/broke/split after a few months.
We buy them in pairs now [different types] to avoid 'no tin opener
misery'.

Any suggestions?

Ta muchly.

The more complicated they are the likelier they are to go wrong.

Years ago I had a small key ring opener which I somehow lost. Which
nobody would believe was a tin opener until shown how it worked.

Based on the ones the services used to (and probably still) get in a 24
hour ration pack. Had a few of those (collected from the ration packs)...!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 22:54:13 +0100, Mike Barnes wrote:

We've had a Culinaire Magican for well over 15 years ...

+1

We had a nice old can opener so old that the plastic had gone brittle and
failed after 20+ years. Tried several cheap openers, including the type
that cut through the rim so no sharp edge but none lasted more than a
month or so and we don't use that much tinned food...

Bought a Culinare Magican and it just works and had done for at least a
couple of years.

The "army" openers that everyone else are raving about are OK but a bit
slow and fiddly compared to the Magican. Not to mention that they don't
make that clean a cut of the lid and your fingers are very close to those
sharp edges.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Cee wrote:
Is there such a thing these days as a decent tin/can opener? Every one
we've had recently has bent/broke/split after a few months.
We buy them in pairs now [different types] to avoid 'no tin opener
misery'.

Any suggestions?

Ta muchly.

I think ours comes from waitrose. It hasn't broken but most cans are
ring pull these days.

You can still get the all metal ones at kitchen shops.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 22:54:13 +0100, Mike Barnes wrote:

We've had a Culinaire Magican for well over 15 years ...

+1

We had a nice old can opener so old that the plastic had gone brittle and
failed after 20+ years. Tried several cheap openers, including the type
that cut through the rim so no sharp edge but none lasted more than a
month or so and we don't use that much tinned food...

Bought a Culinare Magican and it just works and had done for at least a
couple of years.

The "army" openers that everyone else are raving about are OK but a bit
slow and fiddly compared to the Magican. Not to mention that they don't
make that clean a cut of the lid and your fingers are very close to those
sharp edges.

OFFS what else is an angle grinder for!

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, August 22, 2012 10:26:24 PM UTC+1, Simon Cee wrote:
Is there such a thing these days as a decent tin/can opener? Every one

we've had recently has bent/broke/split after a few months.

We buy them in pairs now [different types] to avoid 'no tin opener

misery'.

Any suggestions?

We've had one of these for a couple of years:
http://www.bodieandfou.com/normann_c...fly_tin_opener
It's the same principle as the flat ones other people have suggested, but with a more comfortable handle, and less like a camping device.
There is nothing to go wrong with them, and the blade is sharpenable, although I've not needed to yet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Simon Cee wrote:
Is there such a thing these days as a decent tin/can opener? Every one
we've had recently has bent/broke/split after a few months.
We buy them in pairs now [different types] to avoid 'no tin opener
misery'.

Any suggestions?

Ta muchly.

I think ours comes from waitrose. It hasn't broken but most cans are
ring pull these days.

You can still get the all metal ones at kitchen shops.

The problem being that most of the ones sold now won't open about 50% of
tins, IME.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012, "Simon Cee" writ:

Is there such a thing these days as a decent tin/can opener? Every one
we've had recently has bent/broke/split after a few months.
We buy them in pairs now [different types] to avoid 'no tin opener
misery'.

Any suggestions?

Ta muchly.

http://tinyurl.com/cea57vq

Highly recommended.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Cee" wrote in message
Is there such a thing these days as a decent tin/can opener? Every one
we've had recently has bent/broke/split after a few months.
We buy them in pairs now [different types] to avoid 'no tin opener
misery'.

Any suggestions?

We had much the same problem.
Then I noticed that electric can openers were only about £10 (Morrisons) or
a bit more elsewhere.
Which doesn't make sense when you are being charged £4-£6 for a bit of
plastic with a couple of cogs which lasts a couple of months.

Bought one (not Morrisons) and so far it is doing well and showing no sign
of wearing out.

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:

We've had a Culinaire Magican for well over 15 years and it works just
like the demo he http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGLQaZXAH9Y

You do have to take care with the top of the can, as it removes
the roll edge, leaving it pretty sharp.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is there such a thing these days as a decent tin/can opener? Every one
we've had recently has bent/broke/split after a few months.
We buy them in pairs now [different types] to avoid 'no tin opener
misery'.

Any suggestions?

Ta muchly.

http://tinyurl.com/9z32at2

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 22:26:24 +0100, Simon Cee wrote:

Is there such a thing these days as a decent tin/can opener? Every one
we've had recently has bent/broke/split after a few months.
We buy them in pairs now [different types] to avoid 'no tin opener
misery'.

Any suggestions?

Ta muchly.

For as long as I can remember (well 15yrs+) we've used a Brabantia
(made in Holland) which has a magnet to hold the removed lid. Prior
to that I think our experiences were much the same as yours.

--
AnthonyL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2012 22:54, Mike Barnes wrote:
Simon Cee :
Is there such a thing these days as a decent tin/can opener? Every one
we've had recently has bent/broke/split after a few months.
We buy them in pairs now [different types] to avoid 'no tin opener
misery'.

Any suggestions?

We've had a Culinaire Magican for well over 15 years and it works just
like the demo he http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGLQaZXAH9Y

Odd, we got one to replace our can opener a year or so ago. Hate it.
Slips on many cans, incomplete cuts, and as it cuts side of can (rather
than the top), liquid leaks out whilst cutting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Hearn wrote:

Odd, we got one to replace our can opener a year or so ago. Hate it. Slips
on many cans, incomplete cuts, and as it cuts side of can (rather than the
top), liquid leaks out whilst cutting.

That's the case if you try to hold the can off the work surface. But I find
that if I leave the can standing on the work surface so it can rotate, and
make sure that I hold the opener lightly (so not causing the can to tilt,
just holding it enough to resist me turning the lever) they work fine.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 22:26:24 +0100, Simon Cee wrote:

Is there such a thing these days as a decent tin/can opener? Every one
we've had recently has bent/broke/split after a few months. We buy them
in pairs now [different types] to avoid 'no tin opener misery'.

This is ours, which works as well several years down the line as it does
when new: http://www.patooie.com/temp/c.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Cee wrote:
Is there such a thing these days as a decent tin/can opener? Every one
we've had recently has bent/broke/split after a few months.
We buy them in pairs now [different types] to avoid 'no tin opener
misery'.

Any suggestions?

Stop wasting money on hand held openers.
I bought a 'Kenwood' electric can opener 14 years ago and it's never failed
yet, but it was a bit pricey, about £8 if i recall...

http://snipurl.com/24r0lrp

Bit dearer now at £12

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
Simon Cee wrote:
Is there such a thing these days as a decent tin/can opener? Every one
we've had recently has bent/broke/split after a few months.
We buy them in pairs now [different types] to avoid 'no tin opener
misery'.

Any suggestions?

Stop wasting money on hand held openers.
I bought a 'Kenwood' electric can opener 14 years ago and it's never
failed yet, but it was a bit pricey, about £8 if i recall...

http://snipurl.com/24r0lrp

I chucked one of those away and bought one of the Lidl openers that cuts
through the seam.
Well made bit of UK kit that.

I have discovered that it doesn't like some of the ring pull salmon tins and
there is one Sainsburys own brand where it won't open the top but will open
the bottom.

Yes I do use it to take the top of ring pull cans as its easier than using
the ring pull.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

We've had one of these for ages and it's very good:

http://www.dunelm-mill.com/shop/oxo-...n-opener-44640

And wouldn't be without these two either:

http://www.dunelm-mill.com/shop/oxo-...l-peeler-44618
http://www.dunelm-mill.com/shop/oxo-...o-masher-44622

There's a bit about the guy who started the company he

http://www.designcouncil.org.uk/case...xo-good-grips/

....and I think one of the regular posters here, S Viemeister, is a relative of his.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8/23/2012 1:39 PM, mike wrote:
We've had one of these for ages and it's very good:

http://www.dunelm-mill.com/shop/oxo-...n-opener-44640

And wouldn't be without these two either:

http://www.dunelm-mill.com/shop/oxo-...l-peeler-44618
http://www.dunelm-mill.com/shop/oxo-...o-masher-44622

There's a bit about the guy who started the company he

http://www.designcouncil.org.uk/case...xo-good-grips/

...and I think one of the regular posters here, S Viemeister, is a relative of his.

Tucker Viemeister, who designed many of those items, is related to my
husband.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Many thanks for all the suggestions chaps. What a relief to know that
other people have noticed how rubbish modern tin openers are, I was
beginning to think I was doing something wrong.

The key ring openers are just too fiddly, and a bit dangerous for kids
to use IMO. Electric sounds good but it's a pain to store and plug-in,
especially as it is only used occasionally for the non ring pull type.
Brabantia looks v good but no stockists round here and I can't bring
myself to order a can opener mail order. The OXO looks promising, and
is sold nearby so that looks like the best bet so far.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Percy wrote on Aug 23, 2012:

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012, "Simon Cee" writ:

Is there such a thing these days as a decent tin/can opener? Every one
we've had recently has bent/broke/split after a few months.
We buy them in pairs now [different types] to avoid 'no tin opener
misery'.

Any suggestions?

Ta muchly.

http://tinyurl.com/cea57vq

Highly recommended.

Agreed. That's the one I use. Not that need it much these days - most tins
seem to be ring-pull except for the really cheapo brands.

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 12:17:05 +0100, David Hearn wrote:

On 22/08/2012 22:54, Mike Barnes wrote:
Simon Cee :
Is there such a thing these days as a decent tin/can opener? Every one
we've had recently has bent/broke/split after a few months.
We buy them in pairs now [different types] to avoid 'no tin opener
misery'.

Any suggestions?

We've had a Culinaire Magican for well over 15 years and it works just
like the demo he http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGLQaZXAH9Y

Odd, we got one to replace our can opener a year or so ago. Hate it.
Slips on many cans, incomplete cuts, and as it cuts side of can (rather
than the top), liquid leaks out whilst cutting.

Looking at these on Amazon, the reviews are very mixed with too many at low
ratings to risk buying one.

--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 18:09:35 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

"Phil L" wrote in message
Simon Cee wrote:
Is there such a thing these days as a decent tin/can opener? Every one
we've had recently has bent/broke/split after a few months.
We buy them in pairs now [different types] to avoid 'no tin opener
misery'.

Any suggestions?

Stop wasting money on hand held openers.
I bought a 'Kenwood' electric can opener 14 years ago and it's never
failed yet, but it was a bit pricey, about £8 if i recall...

http://snipurl.com/24r0lrp

I chucked one of those away and bought one of the Lidl openers that cuts
through the seam.
Well made bit of UK kit that.

I asked at Lidl and was told that there weren't any - are they on 'specials'
only?

I have discovered that it doesn't like some of the ring pull salmon tins and
there is one Sainsburys own brand where it won't open the top but will open
the bottom.

I once used the can-opener and then found that some fool had put a ring-pull
on the other end! :-~

Yes I do use it to take the top of ring pull cans as its easier than using
the ring pull.

Some sardine cans shed rings or the top rips rather than open. so an opener
that will manage these is handy.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 22/08/2012 22:54, Mike Barnes wrote:
Simon Cee :
Is there such a thing these days as a decent tin/can opener? Every one
we've had recently has bent/broke/split after a few months.
We buy them in pairs now [different types] to avoid 'no tin opener
misery'.

Any suggestions?

We've had a Culinaire Magican for well over 15 years and it works just
like the demo he http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGLQaZXAH9Y

Odd, we got one to replace our can opener a year or so ago. Hate it.
Slips on many cans, incomplete cuts, and as it cuts side of can (rather
than the top), liquid leaks out whilst cutting.

+1.

I find a basic opener like the "Brabantia Essential Line Can Opener"
works fine and lasts for years.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
Simon Cee wrote:
[...]

I see some small cans of fish that have that, the ring-pull on the
bottom. Just where you wouldn't look for it. Made in Australia, maybe?
--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 08:48:46 +0100, PeterC
wrote:

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 12:17:05 +0100, David Hearn wrote:

On 22/08/2012 22:54, Mike Barnes wrote:
Simon Cee :
Is there such a thing these days as a decent tin/can opener? Every one
we've had recently has bent/broke/split after a few months.
We buy them in pairs now [different types] to avoid 'no tin opener
misery'.

Any suggestions?

We've had a Culinaire Magican for well over 15 years and it works just
like the demo he http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGLQaZXAH9Y

Odd, we got one to replace our can opener a year or so ago. Hate it.
Slips on many cans, incomplete cuts, and as it cuts side of can (rather
than the top), liquid leaks out whilst cutting.

Looking at these on Amazon, the reviews are very mixed with too many at
low
ratings to risk buying one.

Similarly on Lakeland.

As we too need a new one (to replace another non-functioning Culinare -
slips on almost any tine now) - Brabantia has been ordered from Amazon.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"David WE Roberts" writes:

"Simon Cee" wrote in message
Is there such a thing these days as a decent tin/can opener? Every one
we've had recently has bent/broke/split after a few months.
We buy them in pairs now [different types] to avoid 'no tin opener
misery'.

Any suggestions?

We had much the same problem.
Then I noticed that electric can openers were only about £10 (Morrisons) or
a bit more elsewhere.
Which doesn't make sense when you are being charged £4-£6 for a bit of
plastic with a couple of cogs which lasts a couple of months.

Bought one (not Morrisons) and so far it is doing well and showing no sign
of wearing out.

Parents had one for years - I think it came from the Green Shield
Stamp shop. The motor bearing died almost immediately, which didn't
stop it working, but it made a terrible screching sound. As it was
mainly used for opening tins of cat food, the cat quickly associated
the sound with being fed, and we had to stop using it to open tins
which weren't for the cat.

I vary rarely use a tin opener today. I have a side cutting hand
one which works well, which I've had for years.

My grandmother had a variation of the type in the OP, but it had
a wooden handle like on an old chissel, and didn't fold up. I
remember finding it in her cutlery drawer and asking what it was,
and later seeing it being used.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Cee wrote:

Is there such a thing these days as a decent tin/can opener? Every one
we've had recently has bent/broke/split after a few months.
We buy them in pairs now [different types] to avoid 'no tin opener
misery'.

Any suggestions?

Ta muchly.

There are some old ones coming up for auction soon:
http://www.twgaze.co.uk/auction/lots...ntpage=6#block

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-08-22, Davey wrote:

That is similar to the standard American Military WWII issue opener,
called something like 'P-51', or some other famous aircraft. There are
plenty still in use in the US, even now.

For some reason that reminded me of _Dr Strangelove_, even though the
description of the survival kit doesn't mention a can opener.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057012/quotes?qt0454447
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 20:47:06 +0100, Simon Cee wrote:

Many thanks for all the suggestions chaps. What a relief to know that
other people have noticed how rubbish modern tin openers are, I was
beginning to think I was doing something wrong.

The key ring openers are just too fiddly, and a bit dangerous for kids
to use IMO. Electric sounds good but it's a pain to store and plug-in,
especially as it is only used occasionally for the non ring pull type.
Brabantia looks v good but no stockists round here and I can't bring
myself to order a can opener mail order. The OXO looks promising, and
is sold nearby so that looks like the best bet so far.

Brabantia arrived and has been used. Seems very good. Not convinced how
well it will work on awkward tins (e.g. corned beef, sardines, etc.) but
on standard cans it is excellent.

Might do a long-term report in a few years...

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 20:58:00 +0100, Dave Liquorice
wrote:

On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 17:27:48 +0100, polygonum wrote:

Brabantia arrived and has been used. Seems very good. Not convinced how
well it will work on awkward tins (e.g. corned beef, sardines, etc.)

Er aren't corned beef and sardine cans opened with the supplied key?

Indeed - they usually are. :-) But when that approach goes wrong, a can
opener is very much needed! Not too long ago the tab on the tin where the
key is supposed to fit fell off before being used. And one of our old
openers worked quite well - and is being retained for that role because of
doubts over the Brabantia's abilities.

--
Rod

A very silly question [email protected] UK diy 35 September 28th 06 09:44 AM
*Very* silly question re SDS drills Snergle UK diy 11 July 20th 06 12:10 AM
Another silly tiling question... Stu Pittasso Home Repair 2 February 20th 05 02:48 AM
Silly Question Richard UK diy 6 September 12th 04 10:19 PM
very silly question about meths May UK diy 55 September 18th 03 12:16 AM