May

Default very silly question about meths

What do they use meths for? (I've just found some in the cupboard.)

Gordon Henderson

In article , May wrote:

What do they use meths for? (I've just found some in the cupboard.)

It burns very well....

Eg. http://www.trangia.se/

Gordon
Andy Hall

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 22:30:15 +0100, "May" wrote:

What do they use meths for? (I've just found some in the cupboard.)

It depends who "they" is.

Traditionally it was claimed that tramps drank it, but I've never
believed that.

For household use:

- Cleaner for glass etc.

- Spirit burners in fondue sets

- Burners in model steam engines

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Alan

In message , May
wrote

What do they use meths for? (I've just found some in the cupboard.)

An additive in wine?
--
Alan

Malcolm Stewart

Removing some types of self-adhesive label glue remnants. White spirit is also
useful.
Removing biro ink.
Degreasing microscope slides.

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

"May" wrote in message

What do they use meths for? (I've just found some in the cupboard.)

Fred

"Alan" wrote in message
An additive in wine?

Nawwwww, that's antifreeze

Alex

Meths drinking indeed was quite common,amongst alcholics in scotland in the
50,s and 60,s can not vouch for anywhere else

Wayne Davies

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 22:30:15 +0100, "May" made
me spill my meths by writing:

What do they use meths for? (I've just found some in the cupboard.)

Some info he
http://www.birdbrand.co.uk/meths.htm

I used to use it in the burners of small steam engines but mainly now
only for a Trangier Stove. Adds a certain piquance when the meths
bottle has been stored in the cook set for a while

I suppose it had many more domestic uses back in the days when
dustbins used to contain mostly ash and we stood up for the National
Anthem at the cinema.

All the best
--
Wayne Davies - Mobile 07989 556213 - Harrogate, N.Yorks, UK
geoff

In message , Fred
writes

"Alan" wrote in message
An additive in wine?

Nawwwww, that's antifreeze

You mean ethylene glycol?

Gives it body

--
geoff
John Rumm

May wrote:
What do they use meths for? (I've just found some in the cupboard.)

Used to use it in the burner that came with my chemistry set when I was
a kid! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

nightjar

"May" wrote in message

What do they use meths for? (I've just found some in the cupboard.)

Usually for burning or as a solvent. It is highly flammable, so a small
amount can be used as a starter for paraffin in primus stoves or the like.
With a dash of washing up liquid, it makes a good additive to a car
windscreen washer bottle.

Colin Bignell

nightjar

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 22:30:15 +0100, "May" wrote:

What do they use meths for? (I've just found some in the cupboard.)

It depends who "they" is.

Traditionally it was claimed that tramps drank it, but I've never
believed that.

T'is true though. In Glasgow, when I lived there, you used to have to sign
the poisons register to buy meths. Another tramp favourite was coal gas
bubbled through stolen milk. You used to look for lead gas pipes that had
been cut, then folded back on themselves, when checking derelict houses to
see whether they were being used by dossers.

Colin Bignell

Andy Dingley

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 22:30:15 +0100, "May" wrote:

What do they use meths for? (I've just found some in the cupboard.)

Lots of things it's not desperately good for.

Meths is:

- mainly ethanol (drinkable)

- methanol (not drinkable - makes you sick, blind, mad and dead in
about that order)

- pyridine (stinks)

- purple dye (just to annoy french polishers)

It's not hard to get clear meths. It's increasingly hard to get
unstenched meths, but you still can. If you're working with it all day
in this summer's heat, you'll be glad you bothered.

It burns easily and the combination of vapour pressure and flash point
mean that it's very safe to do so. Unlike petrol, it won't produce a
fireball. Unlike paint thinners or paraffin, it won't stink if you use
it to light a barbecue.

It's a fairly poor cleaning solvent, but handy. Acetone or isopropanol
are usually better.

Most of mine gets used as a solvent for shellac in french polishing.

BigWallop

"Matt" wrote in message

"Alex" wrote in message
Meths drinking indeed was quite common,amongst alcholics in scotland in

the
50,s and 60,s can not vouch for anywhere else

My physics teacher many years ago claimed tramps mixed it with tomato
ketchup to make it more palatable. Having tasted a fingertip dipped in

neat
meths I have trouble believing that. He said they called it "jemmy" or was
it "jimmy"?

Matt

I remember watching two wino's in the Grassmarket, Edinburgh, being over the
moon when they scraped together enough money to buy a pint of milk to mix
with their small bottle of meths. Funnily enough both had perfect white
teeth and a full head of thick hair and I don't know if it was all down to
being pickled from the inside out, or if it was just because they were young
and looked a lot older. (?) Anyway.

Meths can be used as a very good cleaning solution on many things and is
great for getting particularly greasy marks off. I've also seen it used as
a thinner for thick metal paints and coatings, and also as a primer for old
paraffin fuelled blow lamps when a cloth was dipped in it and wrapped around
the burner tube to preheat it. Burned for quite a while if memory serves
right.

The Natural Philosopher

May wrote:

What do they use meths for? (I've just found some in the cupboard.)

French polish thinners is one that springs immediately to mind.

Starting old Primus stoves and blowlamps is another.

Also general purpose cleaning, tho isopropyl alcohol is now more common.

David

"nightjar" nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com wrote in message ...

T'is true though. In Glasgow, when I lived there, you used to have to sign
the poisons register to buy meths. Another tramp favourite was coal gas
bubbled through stolen milk.

What's that all about then?! Do explain - never heard of this one!

David
nightjar

"David" wrote in message
om...
"nightjar" nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com wrote in message

T'is true though. In Glasgow, when I lived there, you used to have to

sign
the poisons register to buy meths. Another tramp favourite was coal gas
bubbled through stolen milk.

What's that all about then?! Do explain - never heard of this one!

Never tried it myself, but it is supposed to produce an inebriating drink,
possibly one that was more palatable than meths. I came across it when
helping out with a mass survey of the homeless in Glasgow. Hundreds of
people were enrolled to visit derelict buildings across the city and the
damaged gas pipe was one of the signs of habitation that we were told to
look out for and record. Nobody actually expected us to find any homeless
(we didn't) so their numbers had to be extrapolated from signs like that or
the more obvious tatty mattress in an empty house. The Social Worker who
briefed us said they were looking forward to the introduction of natural
gas, which would end the practice, so I assume something in the coal gas was
critical to the process.

Colin Bignell

Matt

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert my surname here wrote in message
. ..

"David" wrote in message
om...
"nightjar" nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com wrote in message

The Social Worker who
briefed us said they were looking forward to the introduction of natural
gas, which would end the practice, so I assume something in the coal gas

was
critical to the process.

Carbon monoxide?

Matt

---

Matt

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 22:30:15 +0100, "May" wrote:

It burns easily and the combination of vapour pressure and flash point
mean that it's very safe to do so. Unlike petrol, it won't produce a
fireball.

This thread has led to quite a few memories for me of my school science
lessons.

Our chemistry teacher told us of an incident involving a pupil of his when
he was a young teacher. The lad was lighting a bonfire at home but the
bonfire wouldn't go well. So the kid went and got a can of parrafin, but it
wasn't parrafin it was meths. The flame shot up the jet of meths and ignited
the can in a fireball. He said he went to visit the child in hospital but
there wasn't much point. He was so badly burned he didn't last long. He said
the most striking impression was the bluebottles swarming over the netting
around the bed.

I remember little actual physics or chemistry from those lessons.

Matt

---

Rich

The Natural Philosopher wrote in message ...
May wrote:

What do they use meths for? (I've just found some in the cupboard.)

It's also a particularly useless fuel for camp stoves - obviously
designed to make sure you've earned that lukewarm cup of tea after 20
minutes.

David

"nightjar" nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com wrote in message ...
"David" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Actually, I was just thinking about this (and recalling my A-level
chemistry N years ago...) wasn't coal gas methane (CH4)? And maybe
methane is partially soluble in water (H20) to produce methanol
(CH5OH), ie meths? Or did coal gas contain methanol vapour which
condensed in the milk?

I'm sure someone will have the definitive answer!
Andy R

"David" wrote in message
om...
"nightjar" nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com wrote in message

"David" wrote in message
om...
[...]

More importantly, how did a presumably uneducated, penniless, homeless,
alcoholic Glaswegian make this discovery. How many unpleasant gases did he
have to bubble through how many different stolen drinks before he finally
got to that Eureka moment?

Rgds

Andy R

Harvey Van Sickle

wrote:

What do they use meths for? (I've just found some in the
cupboard.)

It depends who "they" is.

Traditionally it was claimed that tramps drank it, but I've never
believed that.

T'is true though. In Glasgow, when I lived there, you used to have
to sign the poisons register to buy meths.

(Another known favourite was aftershave -- we used to see empty bottles
of Aqua Velva in the park next to where I took my grad degree in
Toronto. Is that ethanol-based as well, or something else entirely?)

The only time I've specifically needed meths for a diy project was for
melting down old 78 records in it to produce black shellac for
restoring some ebonised furniture.

--
Cheers, Harvey

Harvey Van Sickle

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 15:19:41 GMT, Peter Ashby wrote

In article ,
Harvey Van Sickle wrote:

The only time I've specifically needed meths for a diy project
was for melting down old 78 records in it to produce black
shellac for restoring some ebonised furniture.

The latest Axminster catalogue has some black shellac, so any
remaining 78s are safe.

I'll bookmark that; at the time -- 15 or 20 years ago -- it seemed to
be the simplest way to get a non-industrial-sized amount of the stuff.

--
Cheers, Harvey
Peter Ashby

Harvey Van Sickle wrote:

The only time I've specifically needed meths for a diy project
was for melting down old 78 records in it to produce black
shellac for restoring some ebonised furniture.

The latest Axminster catalogue has some black shellac, so any
remaining 78s are safe.

I'll bookmark that; at the time -- 15 or 20 years ago -- it seemed to
be the simplest way to get a non-industrial-sized amount of the stuff.

An elegant solution indeed.

Peter

--
Peter Ashby
To assume that I speak for the University of Dundee is to be deluded.
Bob Eager

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 15:18:40 UTC, Peter Ashby
wrote:

I remember finding it indispensable for starting a Primus, though.

I always used to use bits of broken up solid firestarter for that job.

I thought that was called 'solid meths' although I have no idea of its
actual composition...

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70...

Ed Sirett

David wrote:

"nightjar" nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com wrote in message ...

T'is true though. In Glasgow, when I lived there, you used to have to sign
the poisons register to buy meths. Another tramp favourite was coal gas
bubbled through stolen milk.

What's that all about then?! Do explain - never heard of this one!

My Glaswegian labourer is keen to extol its benefits. I'm unsure what
reaction takes place but the milk allegedly becomes intoxicating.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
Ed Sirett

Matt wrote:

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert my surname here wrote in message
. ..

"David" wrote in message
om...
"nightjar" nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com wrote in message

The Social Worker who
briefed us said they were looking forward to the introduction of natural
gas, which would end the practice, so I assume something in the coal gas

was
critical to the process.

Carbon monoxide?

That seems likly to be the most active ingredient in Coal Gas (I can't
see the Hydrogen or Nitrogen or stenching agents being that reactive).

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

BillR

May wrote:
What do they use meths for? (I've just found some in the cupboard.)

I always keep a small bottle for degreasing/cleaning where I'm going to put
sealant around a bath or basin.
Isn't it recommended by the selant makers?
Winos used to drink it along also surgical spirit which is essentially the
same thing.
However, its a killer if consumed and causes blindness.

geoff

In message , Andy R
writes

More importantly, how did a presumably uneducated, penniless, homeless,
alcoholic Glaswegian make this discovery. How many unpleasant gases did he
have to bubble through how many different stolen drinks before he finally
got to that Eureka moment?

One could ask the same question of many herbal remedies
--
geoff
geoff

In message , Bob Eager
writes
wrote:

I remember finding it indispensable for starting a Primus, though.

I always used to use bits of broken up solid firestarter for that job.

I thought that was called 'solid meths' although I have no idea of its
actual composition...

Metaldehyde IIRC
--
geoff
Owain

"Steve Firth" wrote
| It is hard to make ethanol 100% and harder to keep it there, you
| have to use drying resins etc in the bottle. So we use 95% for
| most things.
| Yes, same here or was when I last worked with wet stuff on a bench. You
| have to watch out for the sugar content of the 95% stuff though.

I was going to say that if you're diabetic you probably shouldn't be
drinking 95% alcohol anyway ...

Owain

Peter Parry

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 22:30:15 +0100, "May"
wrote:

What do they use meths for?

Lighting Tilly lamps.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Tiling question. Mark S. UK diy 6 September 11th 03 01:07 PM
Central Heating Question Jackie UK diy 3 August 29th 03 10:29 PM
FAQ Question re. central heating Andy Hall UK diy 24 August 14th 03 02:31 PM
self build conservatory - glazing question Nicholas UK diy 6 July 27th 03 11:34 PM