Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Car body repair; Best way to treat bare steel prior to filler-primer?

There seems to be a lot of conflicting opinions on this, but I'd eppreciate
your views on what is the best way to treat bare steel, pror to applying
filler-primer, when affecting a bodywork repair on a car, (having removed
rust from an area and having abraded it, as far as possible, down to bare,
steel).

I know there are various Jenolite-type products, and someone suggested a
zinc-based primer. What are your views? My primary concern is to inhibit
rust, of course.

I once read the results of an experiment which seemd to conclude that
Hemmerite was one of the best rust inhibitors of all, but I don't know how
suitable Hammerite would be in this type of application...

Many thanks,

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 22, 7:04*pm, "AL_n" wrote:
bare steel, pror to applying filler-primer,

Bare steel. It's a primer.

(clean, brush and de-oil it though. If it's already rusty, then
phosphoric acid)

For priming under paint, then a zinc-based primer over that. Davids
182 is good.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AL_n" wrote in message

There seems to be a lot of conflicting opinions on this, but I'd
eppreciate
your views on what is the best way to treat bare steel, pror to applying
filler-primer, when affecting a bodywork repair on a car, (having removed
rust from an area and having abraded it, as far as possible, down to bare,
steel).

That's all you need to do.

I know there are various Jenolite-type products, and someone suggested a
zinc-based primer. What are your views? My primary concern is to inhibit
rust, of course.

Not required before the application of filler, but essential after

I once read the results of an experiment which seemd to conclude that
Hemmerite was one of the best rust inhibitors of all, but I don't know how
suitable Hammerite would be in this type of application...

Nah....Just Nah

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nthkentman wrote:

"AL_n" wrote in message
I once read the results of an experiment which seemd to conclude that
Hemmerite was one of the best rust inhibitors of all, but I don't know how
suitable Hammerite would be in this type of application...

Nah....Just Nah

Indeed. Hammerite tends to get air bubbles in it, which then cause pinholes
in the finish. Water gets in, gets trapped underneath the paint, and after
a while it's as if you never painted it (apart from the flakes of
Hammerite-coated rust on the ground, of course).

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 22, 7:04*pm, "AL_n" wrote:
There seems to be a lot of conflicting opinions on this, but I'd eppreciate
your views on what is the best way to treat bare steel, pror to applying
filler-primer, when affecting a bodywork repair on a car, (having removed
rust from an area and having abraded it, as far as possible, down to bare,
steel).

I know there are various Jenolite-type products, and someone suggested a
zinc-based primer. What are your views? My primary concern is to inhibit
rust, of course.

thats what the resin based filler does. You won't find better paint.

I once read the results of an experiment which seemd to conclude that
Hemmerite was one of the best rust inhibitors of all, but I don't know how
suitable Hammerite would be in this type of application...

Many thanks,

Al

The experimenter must have been very drunk

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
AL_n wrote:
There seems to be a lot of conflicting opinions on this, but I'd
eppreciate your views on what is the best way to treat bare steel, pror
to applying filler-primer, when affecting a bodywork repair on a car,
(having removed rust from an area and having abraded it, as far as
possible, down to bare, steel).

A decent acid etch primer. I like Upol.

I know there are various Jenolite-type products, and someone suggested a
zinc-based primer. What are your views? My primary concern is to
inhibit rust, of course.

I once read the results of an experiment which seemd to conclude that
Hemmerite was one of the best rust inhibitors of all, but I don't know
how suitable Hammerite would be in this type of application...

Hammerite is a con...

--
*Why is the time of day with the slowest traffic called rush hour?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 22, 11:10*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article ,
* *AL_n wrote:

There seems to be a lot of conflicting opinions on this, but I'd
eppreciate your views on what is the best way to treat bare steel, pror
to applying filler-primer, when affecting a bodywork repair on a car,
(having removed rust from an area and having abraded it, as far as
possible, down to bare, steel).

A decent acid etch primer. I like Upol.

I know there are various Jenolite-type products, and someone suggested a
zinc-based primer. What are your views? My primary concern is to
inhibit rust, of course.
I once read the results of an experiment which seemd to conclude that
Hemmerite was one of the best rust inhibitors of all, but I don't know
how suitable Hammerite would be in this type of application...

Hammerite is a con...

What type of acid? What strength?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

A decent acid etch primer. I like Upol.

I know there are various Jenolite-type products, and someone suggested a
zinc-based primer. What are your views? My primary concern is to
inhibit rust, of course.

I once read the results of an experiment which seemd to conclude that
Hemmerite was one of the best rust inhibitors of all, but I don't know
how suitable Hammerite would be in this type of application...

Hammerite is a con...

Thanks for the responses. It's funny, but I've always thought etching
primer to be a con. I used to use it when I was doing a lot of refinishing
work in a certain factory in the 1980s. I found that after it was cured,
you could scratch it off as easily as most other paints and primers. OK, it
might roughen the surface of the steel very slightly, on a microscopic
level, but any abrasive paper does that far more effectively.

I think (not sure) it was Which Magazine that tested a number of rust
inhibitors, many years ago, and found Hammerite to be exceptionally
effective. I've found it to be good too, but have never used it of car body
repairs as a primer.

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote in news:38fb4cbf-b4e6-489c-
:

For priming under paint, then a zinc-based primer over that. Davids
182 is good.

Thanks.. What about red oxide primer? Most people used to swear that was
the best primer to inhibit rust. Is zinc-based now considered better?

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
AL_n wrote:
Thanks for the responses. It's funny, but I've always thought etching
primer to be a con. I used to use it when I was doing a lot of
refinishing work in a certain factory in the 1980s. I found that after
it was cured, you could scratch it off as easily as most other paints
and primers. OK, it might roughen the surface of the steel very
slightly, on a microscopic level, but any abrasive paper does that far
more effectively.

It's what most pro body shops use on bare metal these days, I'm told. But
as regards adhesion, that would need to be checked very much later, rather
than just after it's cured.

I think (not sure) it was Which Magazine that tested a number of rust
inhibitors, many years ago, and found Hammerite to be exceptionally
effective. I've found it to be good too, but have never used it of car
body repairs as a primer.

I painted a wrought iron fence in sections using Black Hammerite,
Smoothrite and ordinary Wicks gloss - all direct to the steel. The Wicks
gloss lasted longer - and of course was very much cheaper.

You might also have problems getting car paint to stick to Hammerite -
without using a sealer coat. And of course the rough finish it produces is
exactly what you don't want for a decent final finish.

--
*A hangover is the wrath of grapes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2012 19:04, AL_n wrote:
There seems to be a lot of conflicting opinions on this, but I'd eppreciate
your views on what is the best way to treat bare steel, pror to applying
filler-primer, when affecting a bodywork repair on a car, (having removed
rust from an area and having abraded it, as far as possible, down to bare,
steel).

I know there are various Jenolite-type products, and someone suggested a
zinc-based primer. What are your views? My primary concern is to inhibit
rust, of course.

I once read the results of an experiment which seemd to conclude that
Hemmerite was one of the best rust inhibitors of all, but I don't know how
suitable Hammerite would be in this type of application...

Many thanks,

Al

Dare I suggest lead? It was the original car body filler and ISTR even
30 years ago some purists swore by it for old vehicle restorations.

A quick search produced

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD98LDc0GAI

so I bet it is still going and still worth a mention when someone is
looking to do a lasting repair.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 23, 12:53*pm, "AL_n" wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote :

[...]

I once took Which seriously too.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , AL_n
writes
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

[...]

I think a few may be mixing up hammerite paint with other hammerite
branded products. They do make a rust treatment solution that I have
seen but have no experience of, I saw it supplied in concentrate form in
a 2l or so container and the instructions required it to be diluted 10:1
with water. It was used to dissolve rust on parts by long term
immersion. No idea what the ingredients are but perhaps the usual
phosphoric acid base of other similar products.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
fred wrote:
I think a few may be mixing up hammerite paint with other hammerite
branded products. They do make a rust treatment solution that I have
seen but have no experience of, I saw it supplied in concentrate form in
a 2l or so container and the instructions required it to be diluted 10:1
with water. It was used to dissolve rust on parts by long term
immersion. No idea what the ingredients are but perhaps the usual
phosphoric acid base of other similar products.

IIRC Hammerite (now) own Jenolite. But seem to be re-branding that to
their name.

--
*I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, August 23, 2012 12:53:52 PM UTC+1, AL_n wrote:

Hammerite is a con...

Thanks for the responses. It's funny, but I've always thought etching

primer to be a con. I used to use it when I was doing a lot of refinishing

work in a certain factory in the 1980s. I found that after it was cured,

you could scratch it off as easily as most other paints and primers. OK, it

might roughen the surface of the steel very slightly, on a microscopic

level, but any abrasive paper does that far more effectively.

I think (not sure) it was Which Magazine that tested a number of rust

inhibitors, many years ago, and found Hammerite to be exceptionally

effective. I've found it to be good too, but have never used it of car body

repairs as a primer.

Al

Never (ever) found Hammerite to be worth a toss. The best rust inhibitor/primer is Bonda Primer. Not easy to find but Google BondaGlass Voss for details of the maker. I painted my trailer with it over 1o years ago and there is NO rust on it.

For lots of info on car repair look at Frost http://www.frost.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Aug 2012 11:53:52 GMT, "AL_n" wrote:

It's funny, but I've always thought etching
primer to be a con. I used to use it when I was doing a lot of refinishing
work in a certain factory in the 1980s. I found that after it was cured,
you could scratch it off as easily as most other paints and primers. OK, it
might roughen the surface of the steel very slightly, on a microscopic
level, but any abrasive paper does that far more effectively.

A number of car manufacturers, in conjunction with their preferred paint
supplier, specify the complete paint process for bodywork. Etching primers
figure in a lot of them - for instance all the vehicles with 'galvanised'
bodywork such as Porsche and Audi from the mid 90's required etching primers or
the subsequent layers fell off. If I recall correctly the only surface
preparation allowed was an extremely fine grade of Scotchbrite and a wipe on
wipe off solvent. Normal abrasive paper was off limits and panels were
completely replaced rather than part repaired.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"AL_n" writes:

There seems to be a lot of conflicting opinions on this, but I'd eppreciate
your views on what is the best way to treat bare steel, pror to applying
filler-primer, when affecting a bodywork repair on a car, (having removed
rust from an area and having abraded it, as far as possible, down to bare,
steel).

I know there are various Jenolite-type products, and someone suggested a
zinc-based primer. What are your views? My primary concern is to inhibit
rust, of course.

It's a long time since I've had to do this, but I used to own a
mini some decades ago, so I had plenty of rust repairs to do. ;-)

I used Zinc primer (Davids Zinc 182, since I still have a can of it),
on the basis that it was as near to galvanising the steel as I could
do. Then on top of that went filler (if I was using any, or for small
areas to be filled, I just built up with the Zinc primer, sanding back
all except the last coat).

I never had one of these areas rust again. OTOH, I had previously
found the red lead oxide paint to be useless as preventing re-rusting,
which is why I looked for something else.

I once read the results of an experiment which seemd to conclude that
Hemmerite was one of the best rust inhibitors of all, but I don't know how
suitable Hammerite would be in this type of application...

No presonal experience, although I've heard it's good to paint on
when you haven't managed to get rid of all the rust.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Car body filler stuart noble UK diy 3 February 28th 12 07:39 PM
Body filler for quarry tiles ? gilli UK diy 4 June 9th 10 01:35 PM
Temporary drain repair with (ahem) car body filler? jkn UK diy 4 March 3rd 08 11:41 PM
Filler material for thin sheet metal prior to painting? [email protected] Home Repair 4 May 24th 05 04:43 PM
Looking for Bare Metal Primer GJRepesh Metalworking 3 May 5th 04 01:12 PM