Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Car body repair; Best way to treat bare steel prior to filler-primer?

In article ,
"AL_n" writes:

There seems to be a lot of conflicting opinions on this, but I'd eppreciate
your views on what is the best way to treat bare steel, pror to applying
filler-primer, when affecting a bodywork repair on a car, (having removed
rust from an area and having abraded it, as far as possible, down to bare,
steel).

I know there are various Jenolite-type products, and someone suggested a
zinc-based primer. What are your views? My primary concern is to inhibit
rust, of course.

It's a long time since I've had to do this, but I used to own a
mini some decades ago, so I had plenty of rust repairs to do. ;-)

I used Zinc primer (Davids Zinc 182, since I still have a can of it),
on the basis that it was as near to galvanising the steel as I could
do. Then on top of that went filler (if I was using any, or for small
areas to be filled, I just built up with the Zinc primer, sanding back
all except the last coat).

I never had one of these areas rust again. OTOH, I had previously
found the red lead oxide paint to be useless as preventing re-rusting,
which is why I looked for something else.

I once read the results of an experiment which seemd to conclude that
Hemmerite was one of the best rust inhibitors of all, but I don't know how
suitable Hammerite would be in this type of application...

No presonal experience, although I've heard it's good to paint on
when you haven't managed to get rid of all the rust.

--
Andrew Gabriel