GJRepesh

Default Looking for Bare Metal Primer

I found this item in the MSC catalog: High solids, low voc epoxy primer. Ideal
for construction machinery and farm equipment. $46 a gallon. page 2720 in the
2001/2002 catalog.

Has anyone used this primer? Comments. I am painting a lathe and have much bare
metal to cover, especially in the webbing of the bed. Other suggestions would
be appreciated.

Gary R.
Tom Gardner

I used a Rustolium "Fish Oil" primer and Imron on a david I built on the
lake. Still looks good aftre 20 years of lake Erie's worst.
--
There are 10 kinds of people...Those that understand binary and those that
don't

"GJRepesh" wrote in message
I found this item in the MSC catalog: High solids, low voc epoxy primer.

Ideal
for construction machinery and farm equipment. $46 a gallon. page 2720 in

the
2001/2002 catalog.

Has anyone used this primer? Comments. I am painting a lathe and have much

bare
metal to cover, especially in the webbing of the bed. Other suggestions

would
be appreciated.

Gary R.

Paul T.

I would recommend a "urethane fortified" industrial paint like Benjamin
Moore M22 for your topcoat. This is easy to apply, is pretty tough and
resists oil stains. I used it on my lathe and it has worked well. I would
use whatever matching primer they recommend for this paint. If you are in
California you have to use the CM22 version, which takes a little longer to
dry.

Good luck-

Paul T.

R. Wink

Depending on what you're trying to do, we used to use a paint from J&R Paint and Glass (800-998-0628) to paint on bare metal
without a primer. We built custom equipment for the automotive industry and would do anything to avoid having to prime, then
paint what with all the extra work and such.
This stuff you could paint over standing oil on steel, fingerprints, ect. and the paint would stick. Lots of ugly colors too
as I remember but all in machine enamel. 'Bout $50 a gallon.
R. Wink

Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
metal tubes Allan Adler Metalworking 7 September 26th 03 04:30 AM