Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default iron temperature

.... as in clothes iron. How hot do they typically get? One of the wires
running to the thermostat broke in ours, but of course it was crimped
onto the fitting (and no chance of prying the crimp apart). I could
solder it, but I'm assuming that they don't use solder for a reason...

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules Richardson wrote:
... as in clothes iron. How hot do they typically get? One of the wires
running to the thermostat broke in ours, but of course it was crimped
onto the fitting (and no chance of prying the crimp apart). I could
solder it, but I'm assuming that they don't use solder for a reason...

...the reason being that heating element wire - constantan or nichrome -
simply dont solder..

irons dont run much above 100C mainly.

cheers

Jules

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

irons dont run much above 100C mainly.

In this household they do (albeit the iron don't get used much these
days). European irons with the settings in terms of 1, 2 or 3 dots
should comply with GINETEX standards for textiles in which One point
means 110 C, two points means 150 C and three points means 200 C.
http://www.ginetex.net/labelling/car...mbols/ironing/
So I think the OP was right to eschew "ordinary" solder.

Of course if like my old gran you heat the flat iron on a gas ring then
the operating range may be greater

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 21, 10:33*pm, "Robin" wrote:
irons dont run much above 100C mainly.

In this household they do (albeit the iron don't get used much these
days). *European irons with the settings in terms of 1, 2 or 3 dots
should comply with GINETEX standards for textiles in which One point
means 110 C, two points means 150 C and three points means 200 C.http://www.ginetex.net/labelling/car...mbols/ironing/
So I think the OP was right to eschew "ordinary" solder.

Of course if like my old gran you heat the flat iron on a gas ring then
the operating range may be greater

High temp solder might work, but I'd probably just tie it with 0.5mm
iron wire.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2012 10:31, NT wrote:
On Aug 21, 10:33 pm, "Robin" wrote:
irons dont run much above 100C mainly.

In this household they do (albeit the iron don't get used much these
days). European irons with the settings in terms of 1, 2 or 3 dots
should comply with GINETEX standards for textiles in which One point
means 110 C, two points means 150 C and three points means 200 C.http://www.ginetex.net/labelling/car...mbols/ironing/
So I think the OP was right to eschew "ordinary" solder.

Of course if like my old gran you heat the flat iron on a gas ring then
the operating range may be greater

High temp solder might work, but I'd probably just tie it with 0.5mm
iron wire.

NT

I have successfully soldered such things in the past: if away from the
element and in the "air space" it may be OK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 08:32:21 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Wire wrap, or maybe a larger crimp tool?

Yes, I may just end up wrapping it (and of course SWMBO may just end up
with a new iron, if I can think of a good reason to keep this one kicking
around in the workshop :-) - I think that the big reel 'o solder that I
have is probably too low-temp to be useful.

cheers all!

J.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

That's useful to know, especially if you want to use a george forman
grill when the iron is broken.

I only know because of the time the laminator broke and I wanted to use
the iron to bodger some laminated charts - using pouches in a carrier so
the iron was not at high risk