Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Second hand I-beams; swing them in or eBay?

I now have two I-beams recovered from the small extension and replaced by
serious steel across the whole back of the house.

My options seem to be to swing them in for scrap or sell them to someone who
needs I-beams.

Anyone been down this route before?

Logic suggests that selling them on may be better than scrapping them, but I
would need to find someone who needed just that specification.

e-Bay or the scrappie?

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2012 16:57, David WE Roberts wrote:
I now have two I-beams recovered from the small extension and replaced
by serious steel across the whole back of the house.

My options seem to be to swing them in for scrap or sell them to someone
who needs I-beams.

Anyone been down this route before?

Logic suggests that selling them on may be better than scrapping them,
but I would need to find someone who needed just that specification.

e-Bay or the scrappie?

Try the former, and if there is no interest, the latter.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:
I now have two I-beams recovered from the small extension and
replaced by serious steel across the whole back of the house.

My options seem to be to swing them in for scrap or sell them to
someone who needs I-beams.

Anyone been down this route before?

Logic suggests that selling them on may be better than scrapping
them, but I would need to find someone who needed just that
specification.
e-Bay or the scrappie?

ebay, and if no one buys them, let the gypo's have them - they're not worth
the fuel to take them to the scrappy, 17p a kilo I got not long back

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2012 16:57, David WE Roberts wrote:
I now have two I-beams recovered from the small extension and replaced
by serious steel across the whole back of the house.

My options seem to be to swing them in for scrap or sell them to someone
who needs I-beams.

Anyone been down this route before?

Logic suggests that selling them on may be better than scrapping them,
but I would need to find someone who needed just that specification.

e-Bay or the scrappie?

Cheers

Dave R

What section are they, and how long? Certain sizes seem to be preferred
by BCOs. When I was having some work done on my house, the BCO was quite
happy to accept a certain size over the particular span[1] without any
calculations. If I'd wanted to use anything smaller, he'd have insisted
on calculations.

[1] It was either 7 x 4 or 6 x 4 (can't remember which) over a span of
about 9' (all imperial measurements!) - and it was only holding up a
bedroom floor.
--
Cheers,
Roger