Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Disposal of Mercury

"djornsk" wrote:
Some 30 years ago I broke a manometer used for balancing carbs and
collected the mercury into a glass jar which has been living in the shed.
I recently became a bit bothered about the potential risk should someone
disturb it when I am not around, so decided to take it to the local
recycling centre after establishing that they would accept it so long as
it was inside a sealed container.
To my supply the attendant took the jar and instead of taking it to a
secure cabinet as I expected just threw it in the metal recycling skip.
I can understand that mercury is a metal but so is plutonium and one
wouldn't expect that to be thrown in with the scrap.
Perhaps the explaination lies in the fact that the risks are to a degree
mitigated by mechanical handling and adequate ventilation from the time
the scrap is deposited in the skips, or alternatively the handling and
storage precautions ISTR from my schooldays were OTT.

Regarding mercury being a hazardous substance:

When I worked in the NHS in the days of glass mercury thermometers they
spent a fortune installing Mercury Scavenging Kits on each ward to safely
collect the mercury in the event that a thermometer was broke. Prior to that
we just used a dustpan and brush.

I recently tried to sell a clinical glass mercury thermometer, which only
contained a very small amount of mercury, and that triggered the following
email from the 'Elf 'n' Safety Brigade:

Dear ...

I work for the Chemical Compliance Team within the Environment Agency. We
are responsible for the enforcement of the REACH Enforcement Regulations
2008. As the thermometer you have for sale may contain mercury you may be
committing an offence under the regulations. REACH bans the placing on the
market of measuring devices containing mercury for sale to members of the
public. Clinical thermometers cannot be sold to anyone. This restriction
came into force 3 April 2009, so you may not be aware of it. If this device
does contain mercury please remove it from sale, if it doesn't contain
mercury please reply to this email with confirmation of this. Marketing
goods in contravention of REACH is an offence for which enforcement action
could be taken. Please reply to this email and provide me with your email
address so that I can provide links and information to assist you.

- chemicalcompliance

So, work it out for yourselves!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 15 August 2012 14:18:55 UTC+1, Rob Miller wrote:
I recently tried to sell a clinical glass mercury thermometer, which only
contained a very small amount of mercury, and that triggered the following
email from the 'Elf 'n' Safety Brigade:

Dear ...

Please reply to this email and provide me with your email
address

Hang on. Either he already has your email address, or he doesn't - in which case you aren't going to get the email! (or was this actually an eBay, or similar, "secure message"?)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 14:18:55 +0100, "Rob Miller"
wrote:

[...]

Yes; a round "**** off and shove it up your jacksie", would have
emanated from yours truly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

That is sound advice for the instrument that was being sold.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2012 10:30, Onetap wrote:
On Wednesday, August 15, 2012 6:17:49 PM UTC+1, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

Yes; a round "**** off and shove it up your jacksie", would have

emanated from yours truly.

That is sound advice for the instrument that was being sold.

"Why are you writing with an anal thermometer?"

"Oh sod it, some bum must have got my pen!"

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 02:30:43 -0700 (PDT), Onetap
wrote:

Yes; a round "**** off and shove it up your jacksie", would have

emanated from yours truly.

That is sound advice for the instrument that was being sold.

Makes me want to sell one on ebay just to get a letter like that, so I
can tell them off.

Disposal of Mercury Martin Brown UK diy 6 August 18th 12 02:30 AM
Disposal of Mercury Peter Crosland UK diy 0 August 15th 12 09:08 AM
Disposal of Mercury Andrew Gabriel UK diy 3 August 15th 12 09:07 AM
Disposal of Mercury SteveW[_2_] UK diy 1 August 15th 12 08:37 AM
Disposal of Mercury The Natural Philosopher[_2_] UK diy 0 August 14th 12 09:43 PM