Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grimly Curmudgeon[_3_] Grimly Curmudgeon[_3_] is offline

Default Disposal of Mercury

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 14:18:55 +0100, "Rob Miller"
wrote:

I recently tried to sell a clinical glass mercury thermometer, which only
contained a very small amount of mercury, and that triggered the following
email from the 'Elf 'n' Safety Brigade:

Dear ...

I work for the Chemical Compliance Team within the Environment Agency. We
are responsible for the enforcement of the REACH Enforcement Regulations
2008. As the thermometer you have for sale may contain mercury you may be
committing an offence under the regulations. REACH bans the placing on the
market of measuring devices containing mercury for sale to members of the
public. Clinical thermometers cannot be sold to anyone. This restriction
came into force 3 April 2009, so you may not be aware of it. If this device
does contain mercury please remove it from sale, if it doesn't contain
mercury please reply to this email with confirmation of this. Marketing
goods in contravention of REACH is an offence for which enforcement action
could be taken. Please reply to this email and provide me with your email
address so that I can provide links and information to assist you.

- chemicalcompliance

So, work it out for yourselves!

Yes; a round "**** off and shove it up your jacksie", would have
emanated from yours truly.