Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Disposal of Mercury

In article ,
djornsk writes:
Thanks for putting my mind at rest.

The waste recycling guy should not have done that, but is probably
too clueless to know any better.

My (incorrect) understanding was that mercury vapour can be produced at
normal temperatures and was a danger to humans, and within the last few

It isn't good if you spill it indoors, and it spends weeks evaporating
into the air you breath.

years I read something about a broken low energy lightbulb containing
mercury breaking in a home in the US and the whole house being evacuated
by the authorities.

Things like this happen, even though each person has 1000 times more
mercury in their fillings than there is in one CFL - the quantity in
a CFL is minute.

One lives and learns.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/2012 21:35, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Things like this happen, even though each person has 1000 times more
mercury in their fillings than there is in one CFL..

I don't have any amalgam fillings. Mine are either resin, glass, ceramic
or precious metal.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 22:55:53 +0100, Nightjar
wrote:

On 14/08/2012 21:35, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Things like this happen, even though each person has 1000 times more
mercury in their fillings than there is in one CFL..

I don't have any amalgam fillings. Mine are either resin, glass, ceramic
or precious metal.

Colin Bignell

And how much mercury is in each dentist or dental nurse?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 14/08/2012 21:35, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Things like this happen, even though each person has 1000 times more
mercury in their fillings than there is in one CFL..

I don't have any amalgam fillings. Mine are either resin, glass,
ceramic or precious metal.

Colin Bignell

And how much mercury is in each dentist or dental nurse?

When amalgum was common, exposed staff were probably having annual urine
checks. If not, I'd expect the professionals to be pretty aware of the
standard symptoms, as described by the manometer fixer.

Disposal of Mercury newshound UK diy 36 August 21st 12 04:25 PM
Disposal of Mercury Martin Brown UK diy 6 August 18th 12 02:30 AM
What is mercury worth? RB[_2_] Metalworking 33 August 2nd 08 02:39 AM
mercury bed extension Brian Woodturning 2 February 8th 06 11:48 PM
Source for mercury ? Sunbeam UK diy 40 September 30th 04 12:38 AM