Banned

Default Removing plaster of a little baroque castle in Bohemia

meant to say Removing Paint
Hi All, We .. that is myself and three sons are restoring this house in the Czech countryside . It has paint on the walls since it had a very big makeover in 1730.
the Under the paint layers are the shows of the original paintings on the walls .
I have done a lot of scraping with hand tools but it is just getting too much. Please advise on an electric tool that would be controllable as i dont want to hurt the plaste too much. Is the Bosch pse a good buy ? I see a couple on Ebay but I see it is discontinued so spares will be a problem ? Is there another one you would advise or perhaps something completely different ? Thank you !

Last edited by bicbic : August 11th 12 at 01:23 PM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bicbic" wrote in message

meant to say Removing Paint
Hi All, We .. that is myself and three sons are restoring this house in
the Czech countryside . It has paint on the walls since it had a very
big makeover in 1730.
the Under the paint layers are the shows of the original paintings on
the walls .
I have done a lot of scraping with hand tools but it is just getting too
much. Please advise on an electric tool that would be controllable as i
dont want to hurt the plaste too much. Is the Bosch pse a good buy ? I
see a couple on Ebay but I see it is discontinued so spares will be a
problem ? Is there another one you would advise or perhaps something
completely different ? Thank you !

http://www.kenmannion.co.uk/fossilpreparationtools.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

bicbic wrote:
meant to say Removing Paint
Hi All, We .. that is myself and three sons are restoring this house in
the Czech countryside . It has paint on the walls since it had a very
big makeover in 1730.
the Under the paint layers are the shows of the original paintings on
the walls .
I have done a lot of scraping with hand tools but it is just getting too
much. Please advise on an electric tool that would be controllable as i
dont want to hurt the plaste too much. Is the Bosch pse a good buy ? I
see a couple on Ebay but I see it is discontinued so spares will be a
problem ? Is there another one you would advise or perhaps something
completely different ? Thank you !

Are the original paintings required to show? If so, then it will be a
long delicate job, and you'd be well advised to consult with
conservation experts. In Britain, medieval wall paintings are often
subject to preservation orders, and you can get grants to help conserve
them, and can be in real trouble if you're found damaging them, even
accidentally.

You might want to speak to the local equivalent of our National Trust,
or even our National Trust, as they own many properties of this age, and
I've found them friendly in the past.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/2012 16:24, John Williamson wrote:
bicbic wrote:
[...]

The OP isn't a native English speaker, I wondered whether "paintings"
means "paint". Whether it's paintings or not, at that age, surely what's
been put on top will be some sort of lime wash (although it may have all
sorts of things in it). The answer to removing multiple layers of lime
wash IME is to get it very very wet, and eventually it falls off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

bicbic wrote:
[...]

Well, he's asking the same question in a different way in another thread
now, and implies there that he wants the original paint to remain.

Lots of water and a scrubbing brush will get limewash off, but he
doesn't say what type of paint he's trying to remove, it could well be
modern emulsion or gloss. The problem with water and scrubbing is that
it may well take off the original paint as well.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Williamson View Post
bicbic wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the replies
I am the artist restorer so all that is taken care of . When the layers of paint which range from white wash to oil based have been removed only a shadow of the paintings are left .ie. when the first coat was done they gave it a good rub down and so that which stained the plaster is all that is left . I need an electric painrt scraper so please anyone out there with experience do let me know which are the best . There are some fairly cheap ..about 45 quid ..on ebay . Would these do the trick as I only want to go quite slowly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/2012 23:35, geoff wrote:

bulldozer

Ah yes, the big boy's angle grinder

:-)
Banned

[quote=newshound;2908338]On 11/08/2012 23:35, geoff wrote:

bulldozer

Ah yes, the big boy's angle grinder

:-)[/QUOT
Has anyone had experience of a paint scraper The bosch one seems to be out of production so although there are some on ebay spare parts will be hard Please
give me a name of one that is for sale . I am a restorer so dont need help that side of the problem just need a paint scraper that will take off emulsion and oil layers of paint

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 12, 3:41*pm, bicbic wrote:
newshound;2908338 Wrote:

On 11/08/2012 23:35, geoff wrote:
-

bulldozer
-
Ah yes, the big boy's angle grinder

:-)[/QUOT
Has anyone had experience of a paint scraper *The bosch one seems to be
out of production so although there are some on ebay spare parts will be
hard

May have changed model numbers around but Bosch is the next big name
competitor to the Fein Multimaster , tools are pretty much
interchangeable between all the oscillating multitool brands by use
of adaptor plates.

Cheers
Adam

Please
give me a name of one that is for sale . I am a restorer so dont need
help that side of the problem just need a paint scraper that will take
off emulsion and oil layers of paint

--
bicbic

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 14:58:03 -0700 (PDT), Adam Aglionby
wrote:

On Aug 12, 3:41*pm, bicbic wrote:
newshound;2908338 Wrote:

On 11/08/2012 23:35, geoff wrote:
-

bulldozer
-
Ah yes, the big boy's angle grinder

:-)[/QUOT
Has anyone had experience of a paint scraper *The bosch one seems to be
out of production so although there are some on ebay spare parts will be
hard

May have changed model numbers around but Bosch is the next big name
competitor to the Fein Multimaster , tools are pretty much
interchangeable between all the oscillating multitool brands by use
of adaptor plates.

The Fein offering, or the Bosch, can hardly be described as paint
scrapers - they're more cutting tools.

For accurate work you can't really beat a combination of a 1" scraper
and a holder for various scalpel blades - oh - and lots of loving
time.

Forget electrical gadgets, which just take away the necessary artistic
skills!

--
Frank Erskine