Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Garden vacs?

We are considering buying a garden vac, such as

http://www.which.co.uk/home-and-gard...af-blower-vac/

http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/garden...n-Vac-11837519

Would this be suitable to pick up privet cuttings as well, any
recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2012 17:19, Jane wrote:
We are considering buying a garden vac, such as

http://www.which.co.uk/home-and-gard...af-blower-vac/

http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/garden...n-Vac-11837519

Would this be suitable to pick up privet cuttings as well, any
recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Don't know about that one in particular, but having inherited one
(Orange flymo? one) I can confirm that clearing up the clippings from a
well trimmed bush is very painless. Would never have bought one but
having had one I can thoroughly recommend it. Especially if you have
leaves on earth, patios, gravel drives etc.

Can get pretty heavy as they fill up but will collect really small leafy
stuff without picking up stones etc.

Privet shouldn't be a problem from the experiences I've had with a few
different bush/shrub type things.

Cheers
Pete

--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Fitness+Gym Equipment.
http://www.bodysolid-gym-equipment.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

www.GymRatZ.co.uk :
On 06/08/2012 17:19, Jane wrote:
We are considering buying a garden vac, such as

http://www.which.co.uk/home-and-gard...-ns/bosch-als-
25-leaf-blower-vac/

http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/garden.../garden-power-
tools/blow-vacs-shredders/electric_garden_vac/Bosch-Als-25-Garden-Vac-
11837519

Would this be suitable to pick up privet cuttings as well, any
recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Don't know about that one in particular, but having inherited one
(Orange flymo? one) I can confirm that clearing up the clippings from a
well trimmed bush is very painless. Would never have bought one but
having had one I can thoroughly recommend it. Especially if you have
leaves on earth, patios, gravel drives etc.

I hope I'm not teaching egg-sucking, but... Life is a lot easier if you
get some large cardboard boxes, open them up flat, and place them where
the clippings are going to land. Then you can simply pick the cardboard
up and tip (most of) the clippings into a bin or whatever.

Not so clever if it's raining, though.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:

I hope I'm not teaching egg-sucking, but... Life is a lot easier if you
get some large cardboard boxes, open them up flat, and place them where
the clippings are going to land. Then you can simply pick the cardboard up
and tip (most of) the clippings into a bin or whatever.

I use tarpaulins, which can be dragged along a pavement ok, then bundled up
and stuffed in the back of a car (which already has another tarp laid flat
inside it, so pavement grot doesn't end up on the upholstery) to take the
whole lot straight to the tip.

You need to be a little careful not to collect so much on a single tarp that
you can't then (a) get it into the car, or (b) manage it ok at the tip if
it's a windy day. But then, the whole job's a nightmare on a windy day.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"www.GymRatZ.co.uk" wrote in message
On 06/08/2012 17:19, Jane wrote:
We are considering buying a garden vac, such as

http://www.which.co.uk/home-and-gard...af-blower-vac/

http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/garden...n-Vac-11837519

Would this be suitable to pick up privet cuttings as well, any
recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Don't know about that one in particular, but having inherited one
(Orange flymo? one) I can confirm that clearing up the clippings from a
well trimmed bush is very painless.

Always like a well trimmed bush ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2012 17:19, Jane wrote:
We are considering buying a garden vac, such as

http://www.which.co.uk/home-and-gard...af-blower-vac/

http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/garden...n-Vac-11837519

Would this be suitable to pick up privet cuttings as well, any
recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

I have 30 square metres of decking that needs to be cleared of leaves
periodically. Because the decking is stepped, clearing it with a broom
would be very slow.

I bought the cheapest unbranded garden vacuum from B&Q. It's fine for
occassional use. The big suction tube tends to rotate and cause the
motor to switch off, but apart from that it's OK. If you've only got a
small area of garden, then a cheapie might be sufficient.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2012 17:19, Jane wrote:
We are considering buying a garden vac, such as

http://www.which.co.uk/home-and-gard...af-blower-vac/

http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/garden...n-Vac-11837519

Would this be suitable to pick up privet cuttings as well, any
recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

If you have mains, you can get big (50 mm) hoses for the excellent and
cheap Wickes / Early wet and dry workshop-type vac. This will do fallen
leaves; it wouldn't manage with my hedge trimmings but only because I
leave it until there is six inches to take off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 21:59:54 +0100, newshound
wrote:

On 06/08/2012 17:19, Jane wrote:
We are considering buying a garden vac, such as

http://www.which.co.uk/home-and-gard...af-blower-vac/

http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/garden...n-Vac-11837519

Would this be suitable to pick up privet cuttings as well, any
recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

If you have mains, you can get big (50 mm) hoses for the excellent and
cheap Wickes / Early wet and dry workshop-type vac. This will do fallen
leaves; it wouldn't manage with my hedge trimmings but only because I
leave it until there is six inches to take off.

I cannot comment on the OP's Bosch vac, but I can offer some thoughts
on clearing hedge and shrub clippings etc.

I have a good electric Stihl blower/vac/shredder which I use mainly in
blower mode for clearing paved areas and shrub beds. For clearing
clippings (usually 6" plus) from our mixed hedgerows I use the wheeled
rotary mower which picks up by far the majority and chops it
reasonably small in very little time.

I used the garage/workshop vac last week to pick up a carpet of
pelargonium petals from the paved area outside the front doors because
I too lazy to get the Stihl out and it was quick and simple.
--
rbel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"www.GymRatZ.co.uk" wrote in
:

On 06/08/2012 17:19, Jane wrote:
We are considering buying a garden vac, such as

http://www.which.co.uk/home-and-gard.../bosch-als-25-
leaf-blower-vac/

http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/garden...den-power-tool
s/blow-vacs-shredders/electric_garden_vac/Bosch-Als-25-Garden-Vac-1183
7519

Would this be suitable to pick up privet cuttings as well, any
recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Don't know about that one in particular, but having inherited one
(Orange flymo? one) I can confirm that clearing up the clippings from
a well trimmed bush is very painless. Would never have bought one but
having had one I can thoroughly recommend it. Especially if you have
leaves on earth, patios, gravel drives etc.

Can get pretty heavy as they fill up but will collect really small
leafy stuff without picking up stones etc.

Privet shouldn't be a problem from the experiences I've had with a few
different bush/shrub type things.

Cheers
Pete

Embarrassingly and pretentiously noisy though.

Shop Vacs and how to quieten one asmurff Woodworking 11 December 30th 07 10:07 PM
central vacs FrankOOOOO Home Repair 18 November 28th 06 10:13 PM
Welding Smoke Vacs Gunner Asch Metalworking 0 October 18th 05 09:04 AM
Kenmore (Sears) BI Vacs Rudy Home Repair 0 August 26th 05 05:14 AM
Car Vacs Bill UK diy 6 May 27th 05 09:51 PM