Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ideas needed for glass shower cubicle over bath

I’ve been asked to help to sort out someone’s bathroom and shower arrangements. They currently have a bath which has a shower on the wall at one side, half way along.

They have a U shaped rail for the shower curtain. It works, but they hate the curtain.
They want to be able to use the bath to bathe in as well as for showering.

I’ve proposed two hinged and folding glass shower screens – one at either side of the shower. These would fold against the wall when not wanted and when open would form two sides of a shower cubicle.

The third side of the cubicle would be formed by a piece of custom-made toughened glass which would hang from the ceiling somehow and drip just inside the bath. My main question concerns this third side of the proposed cubicle.

How to attach it? At the crudest I envisage it standing on the edge of the bath secured by silicone and held on the ceiling by a wooden strip screwed into the ceiling at either side.

Are there special fittings for such purposes if I were to “hang” it from the ceiling?

My ideal is some sort of track so it could be “parked” out of the way somewhere else when not needed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/08/12 19:36, Murmansk wrote:
[...]

As no one's taken on the challenge, I guess they're thinking the same
thing as me ! Why not move the shower to the end of the bath. It's what
99.9999% of people do !

Andy C

Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

In article
, Andy
Cap wrote:
[snip]
As no one's taken on the challenge, I guess they're
thinking the same thing as me ! Why not move the shower
to the end of the bath. It's what 99.9999% of people do !

Possibly move the shower head nearer to one end (if it's a
flexible hose system as opposed to fixed pipes)

--
John Mulrooney

Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 03/08/2012 19:36, Murmansk wrote:
I’ve been asked to help to sort out someone’s bathroom and shower
arrangements. They currently have a bath which has a shower on the
wall at one side, half way along.

They have a U shaped rail for the shower curtain. It works, but they
hate the curtain.

The only practical suggestion I can make is to replace the U-shaped
shower rail with one that is basically U-shaped but wider. That is the
rail starts near the foot end of the bath, goes right along the length
of the bath, and ends up at the tap end. That way the user will not be
in contact with the shower curtain except right behind him/her.

Or easier still, just put a standard straight shower curtain the whole
length of the bath?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Cap wrote:

Sorry, I'm replying to the OP but have lost the original post...

On 03/08/12 19:36, Murmansk wrote:

I’ve been asked to help to sort out someone’s bathroom and shower
arrangements. They currently have a bath which has a shower on the wall
at one side, half way along.

They have a U shaped rail for the shower curtain. It works, but they
hate the curtain. They want to be able to use the bath to bathe in as
well as for showering.

When you say "U-shaped rail" do you mean one that encloses an area about 2
foot by 2 foot, which I guess would be horrible to use, or do you mean
something that follows the shape of the entire bath (nothing like so bad).

You don't say if either end of the bath is against a wall.

There's no need to completely enclose a shower area, provided the people
using it are careful where they point the shower-head.

A shower curtain that (say) runs the length of the long side of the bath and
also returns to the opposite long wall at one end of the semi-enclosed space
is not too bad, not too claustrophobic either.

Of course curtains do tend to flap a bit and can be sucked towards running
water and bodies, but if a long rail running above the long edge of the bath
is placed correctly, just a little bit further out into the room than the
edge of the bath, when it falls to bath height and is tucked inside the bath
edge it will be pulled slightly outwards. If the side of the bath is very
slightly damp then the curtain can be made to stick to the inside edge of
the bath and will then flap very much less than if it were hanging free
inside the bath. This is what happened in my last house.

Slightly off-topic, I have a shower area in one small bathroom here which is
built in to a corner, with tiled walls on two sides. On the open sides,
when I bought the house, there was just a single curtain on an L-shaped
rail. I'm tall and the curtain is only barely high enough, especially if
falling water bounces off my head... It also tended to get sucked into the
space. I found out the hard way that a bathroom fan in a nearby window
wasn't waterproof one day when a brief accidental jet of water from the
shower squirted into the fan and it expired with a bang.

Although eventually the bathroom might get done up, my immediate concern was
to find a way to prevent a new fan from getting wet (even though I bought a
much more expensive properly waterproof one), and try to make the whole
shower experience less unpleasant.

I made a framework of white plastic tubing (electrical conduit) cable-tied
to the L-rail and to itself (for cross pieces); it stands just inside the
shower tray on the whole of one of the previously open sides, and comes
around the corner for about the first 6 inches of the 4th side. The bottom
ends of the tubing are standing on 4" long upward-pointing piano wires which
snake over the edge of the shower tray and are screwed to the floor outside
it (both the wires and the 'saddles' that secure them to the floor came from
a r/c model aircraft shop and are the normal way to make model aircraft
undercarriages). The conduit/tubing continues up above the L-rail to the
ceiling where it's fixed to a batten that's screwed to joists inside the
ceiling above the shower.

On the upper part of the framework I mounted a sheet of solid acrylic
plastic, so in essence there's now a waterproof wall between the top of the
shower area and the window (and replacement fan). Water that hits the
acrylic sheet drains down and drips off it but by then it's lower than the
top edge of the curtain running outside it. Where the acrylic sheet butts
up against the wall behind it, I glued (with silicon sealant) a run of
u-shaped plastic channel to the wall (square-section electrical conduit -
the stuff that has a clip-on lid - with the lid removed), and I think
there's a couple of screws through it as well. The acrylic sheet hangs
pulled tight into this channel so water that is sprayed into the edge of the
sheet/ channel doesn't actually work its way around to the outside edge.

The shower curtains are still present, suspended from the L-rail, but they
now run outside the tubing framework, so cannot billow into the space where
people stand. Although the framework is not strong enough to bear weight (I
think the cable ties would burst at the joints) it is plenty strong enough
to form extra rails from which lots of shower-gel containers, face cloths
etc can be hung.

I originally thought I might need to have a horizontal conduit tube/rail at
about waist height that would hang loose until I'd got into the shower then
I could put across the 'doorway' to keep the curtain behind it away from me,
but it's turned out not to be needed.

As it's all plastic, none of it rusts, and it's easy to keep clean. Of
course it's not very pretty, but it was extremely cheap...

to replacing "aaa" by "284".