Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hard Leather

Any ideas on softing a leather nail pouch
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Neatsfoot oil, if you can find it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 2 Aug 2012 08:58:53 -0700 (PDT), Kipper at sea
wrote:

Any ideas on softing a leather nail pouch

No. Sorry. But if anyone comes up with a good idea I might try it on
my Scarpa walking boots which seem to have set solid.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Any ideas on softing a leather nail pouch

No. Sorry. But if anyone comes up with a good idea I might try it on
my Scarpa walking boots which seem to have set solid.

Nick

Fiebing's Aussie Leather Conditioner

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fiebings-Aussie-Leather-Conditioner-400g/dp/B001P45RAS/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1343930273&sr=8-6

Probably a couple of quid cheaper elsewhere

I find that it also works well with tight fitting shoes. Apply, wait 10
minutes for it to sink in and then wear the shoes for a an hour

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/08/2012 18:17, Onetap wrote:
On Thursday, August 2, 2012 4:58:53 PM UTC+1, Kipper at sea wrote:

Neatsfoot oil, if you can find it.

Caster oil is not a bad alternative if you can't find the former...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Any ideas on softing a leather nail pouch

No. Sorry. But if anyone comes up with a good idea I might try it on
my Scarpa walking boots which seem to have set solid.

Nick

Fiebing's Aussie Leather Conditioner

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fiebings-Aussie-Leather-Conditioner-400g/dp/B001P45RAS/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1343930273&sr=8-6

Probably a couple of quid cheaper elsewhere

I find that it also works well with tight fitting shoes. Apply, wait 10
minutes for it to sink in and then wear the shoes for a an hour

That sounds just the job with the tight-fitting feature being the
clincher. These boots only just fit - ie the thickness of the socks
makes all the difference between fitting and not fitting - when they
are supple so introducing a bit of give would be brilliant.

Thanks,

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Any ideas on softing a leather nail pouch

No. Sorry. But if anyone comes up with a good idea I might try it on
my Scarpa walking boots which seem to have set solid.

Nick

Nixwax liquid can help - but I'm not sure if it's the best in this case.
Sorted out a stiff old boots though.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 02/08/2012 18:17, Onetap wrote:
On Thursday, August 2, 2012 4:58:53 PM UTC+1, Kipper at sea wrote:

Neatsfoot oil, if you can find it.

Caster oil is not a bad alternative if you can't find the former...

Or even castor oil

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kipper at sea wrote:
Any ideas on softing a leather nail pouch

As others have said, neatsfoot oil.

Available online from many suppliers, though I bought my last bottle
from the local leatherworker. Not cheap, but you don't need a lot.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/08/2012 18:17, Onetap wrote:
On Thursday, August 2, 2012 4:58:53 PM UTC+1, Kipper at sea wrote:

Neatsfoot oil, if you can find it.

Readily available from Countrywide or similar farm shops, or tack shops,
or eBay.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Any ideas on softing a leather nail pouch

No. Sorry. But if anyone comes up with a good idea I might try it on
my Scarpa walking boots which seem to have set solid.

****,

S'wot the pongos used to do i've heard,
pee a few times on your new boots and they are soft and supple in no time.

in civvy street you might get away with that better if your old, people will
just think your incontinent.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Kipper at sea" wrote in message
Any ideas on softing a leather nail pouch

Saddle soap and a proprietary saddle treatment from an equine supplies

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 02 Aug 2012 19:03:02 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 02/08/2012 18:17, Onetap wrote:
On Thursday, August 2, 2012 4:58:53 PM UTC+1, Kipper at sea wrote:

Neatsfoot oil, if you can find it.

Caster oil is not a bad alternative if you can't find the former...

I've had very good results with "Preslea Leather Preserver" made by
Carr & Day & Martin. I got some many years ago from a horsey-type
place (but I'm sure Amazon could oblige!).

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 2 August 2012 16:58:53 UTC+1, Kipper at sea wrote:
Any ideas on softing a leather nail pouch

Lanolin. Hard to find these days. I'm using a stash of past-its-sellby nipple cream, for which I didn't pay anything like list price.

You might also look into "British Museum leather dressing", which is basically lanolin with a better solvent added. Not too hard to mix up.

Neatsfoot etc. won't do much to soften leather that's already hard.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 2 Aug 2012 22:11:41 +0100, "Nthkentman"
wrote:

"Kipper at sea" wrote in message
Any ideas on softing a leather nail pouch

Saddle soap and a proprietary saddle treatment from an equine supplies

+1

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 02 Aug 2012 18:48:05 +0100, Nick Odell
wrote:

Any ideas on softing a leather nail pouch

No. Sorry. But if anyone comes up with a good idea I might try it on
my Scarpa walking boots which seem to have set solid.

I find several applications of Carr's Leather Dressing works. Let it
soak in, then wear the boots/shoes for increasing periods each day.
Don't overdo it at first, no point in skinning a heel or toe.
After it's done, a good belting of saddle soap and get stuck in with
the polish after that's dry. Lovely.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 2 Aug 2012 17:16:31 -0700 (PDT), Andy Dingley
wrote:

past-its-sellby nipple cream

Lasses in Yorkshire get a bit sore?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 4 August 2012 00:00:40 UTC+1, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
past-its-sellby nipple cream

Lasses in Yorkshire get a bit sore?

There are just a few things that aren't better with Henderson's Relish
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Any ideas on softing a leather nail pouch

Found on Wikipaedia (so it must be true!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Album_graecum

--
Frank Erskine