Posted to alt.home.repair

Default need help with leather

I have an expensive case specially fitted for fountain pens which has
been left in a cupboard. The leather both outside and inside seems to
have degraded and become sticky.

Is there anything I can do to salvage it please? At the moment it
leaves a sticky deposit whenever a hand even touches it! Is it
possible to recondition it or put some protective covering layer on
all the leather?

Many thanks in advance for your assistance
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/8/2010 8:30 PM DManzaluni spake thus:

I have an expensive case specially fitted for fountain pens which has
been left in a cupboard. The leather both outside and inside seems to
have degraded and become sticky.

Is there anything I can do to salvage it please? At the moment it
leaves a sticky deposit whenever a hand even touches it! Is it
possible to recondition it or put some protective covering layer on
all the leather?

Many thanks in advance for your assistance

I'd try some saddle soap first. It's made for leather, has a good chance
of cleaning the schmutz off, and can't hurt it if it doesn't.

Try that; if that doesn't work, then come back here for plan B.

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/9/2010 12:29 AM, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 12/8/2010 8:30 PM DManzaluni spake thus:

I have an expensive case specially fitted for fountain pens which has
been left in a cupboard. The leather both outside and inside seems to
have degraded and become sticky.

Is there anything I can do to salvage it please? At the moment it
leaves a sticky deposit whenever a hand even touches it! Is it
possible to recondition it or put some protective covering layer on
all the leather?

Many thanks in advance for your assistance

I'd try some saddle soap first. It's made for leather, has a good chance
of cleaning the schmutz off, and can't hurt it if it doesn't.

Try that; if that doesn't work, then come back here for plan B.

Sure it is leather? I've seen faux leather do that, but never the real
stuff. Real leather dries out and flakes away, like an old book binding
or briefcase.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 8, 11:30*pm, DManzaluni wrote:
I have an expensive case specially fitted for fountain pens which has
been left in a cupboard. *The leather both outside and inside seems to
have degraded and become sticky.

Is there anything I can do to salvage it please? At the moment it
leaves a sticky deposit whenever a hand even touches it! *Is it
possible to recondition it or put some protective covering *layer on
all the leather?

Many thanks in advance for your assistance

Since we can't see exactly what the problem is, take it to a shoe
repairman and get his opinion.

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 9, 12:30*am, aemeijers wrote:
[...]

aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

That was my thought. Could be a plasticizer bleeding out. No way to
salvage as even if washed off it would probably become brittle.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Una Una is offline

DManzaluni wrote:
I have an expensive case specially fitted for fountain pens which has
been left in a cupboard. The leather both outside and inside seems to
have degraded and become sticky.

If it is leather then it has been over conditioned, that's all. Clean
it with saddle soap and let it air dry. It will be good as new again.

Una

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for that: It must be fake leather. I have never seen leather do
this either

I will take it to a small shoe repairer and see what he says