Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Angle grinder ...

On Fri, 03 Aug 2012 07:27:31 +0100, Windmill
wrote:

"ARWadsworth" writes:

ss wrote:
On 29/07/2012 10:36, GB wrote:
On 29/07/2012 09:05, Andy Burns wrote:
... claims another victim

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-19035426

Let's hope that he didn't have time to pass on his genes.

Out of interest would there be a safe way to do this...other than
dont :-)

Well I suspect that the drum stored (or once stored) petrol and not oil.

The scrap guy who sold me an empty oil drum warned me about the risks
involved in taking the top off, and told me to use a hammer and chisel
around the top, never an angle grinder.

The drum appeared to have held diesel, not petrol, but to make doubly
sure there could be no combustible vapours I stood the drum on end,
filled it with water through the now-uppermost drain hole, and let the
water run for a while to wash out the traces of fuel.

Then while still full of water I chiselled around the top.

Even if there had still been a very small air pocket, I doubt if it
could have held enough explosive vapour to cause major problems.

But I might not have thought of all this if I hadn't been warned.
(Probably would have used a sabre saw).

Indeed. The container need st be filled with something inert such as water
or soil. A small mount of fumes inside is far more of an explosion risk
than if it had still been filled with diesel.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 15:30:20 +0100, Bill
wrote:

When I cut the end off a drum, that had contained diesel, to form an
incinerator, I filled it with water first to wash out any remains and
also remove any air,then cut the end off with it still full of water.

With an angle grinder of course!

I guess having the weight of the water gave it extra stability too.
Was it petrol powered? Wouldn't it be a concern to get water on/in an
electric angle grinder?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 21:07:56 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

That was my first thought as well... I would not have expected most
"oils" to produce explosive vapor in that way.

Sorry, I've just replied to the other thread. I was thinking that too:
that kerosene was more like diesel than petrol.