Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Brown Paint round brown plastic windows?

The mother-in-law's house had CR Smith plastic windows installed about 23
years ago (before her time). The various oddments of wood that remain were
painted a matching brown which now, after all that time, needs to be redone.
What would it be? Dulux doesn't seem to have a shade called sh*t in its
range.

People talk of Sadolin - is that a paint or a stain? I do think I need a
paint - unless the old stuff was a polyurethane with a brown admixture?

I'd dearly love to paint everything white, including the brown plastic - but
presumably that is an awkward task too?

Geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 July, 11:28, "Geoff Pearson" wrote:
The mother-in-law's house had CR Smith plastic windows installed about 23
years ago (before her time). *The various oddments of wood that remain were
painted a matching brown which now, after all that time, needs to be redone.
What would it be?

presumably standard alkyd gloss

*Dulux doesn't seem to have a shade called sh*t in its
range.

they do colour matching, but i hear dark red and brown are where it
matches worst

People talk of Sadolin - is that a paint or a stain? I do think I need a
paint - unless the old stuff was a polyurethane with a brown admixture?

I'd dearly love to paint everything white, including the brown plastic - but
presumably that is an awkward task too?

Geoff

Not hard to do, but I'd generally avoid it. Topcoat alone sticks best
to pvc. The trouble is, if or when it starts coming off, it looks like
crp. It would be choosing yet another ongoing maintenance task.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message
[...]

On the front door it looks like a varnish is coming off - someone here said
this was the film that carries the pseudo-grain but I will have to scrape it
off and put back some varnish. So much easier with wooden windows - mine
are 120 years old and can be repaired for ever and replace identically. And
double glazing makes little difference to the overall performance of a
house - I had it in a previous house - big gap glazing works on sound and
heat but is so expensive..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Geoff Pearson" wrote:

Dulux doesn't seem to have a shade called sh*t in its range.

Dulux Weathershield has a dark brown - "Conker" I think it's called, which I
have on some external timber.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 July, 15:22, "Geoff Pearson" wrote:
"NT" wrote in message

[...]

Surely with upvc you can just leave it alone, permanently. Except for
the odd handle change, sealed unit change, multipoint locking
mechanism change etc

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message

[...]

If only. Looks like cr*p on day 1 and matures the same way but is
unrecyclable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message

[...]

Sure, but doesnt need painting or suffer from rot.

but is
unrecyclable.

so what

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

But it does - that it what I'm dealing with now - 20 years on. The PVC is
matt and peeling.