Default old-fashioned black/brown streaky wood paint

Parts of the woodwork in my house are covered with a black/brown
streaky paint or varnish that creates a kind of woodgrain effect. I
need to touch up some areas - will get repainted eventually. I have a
feeling this is an old-fashioned type of paint or varnish. Anyone know
what it is and where I could get it?
Thanks,
Simon.

Chris Bacon

sm_jamieson wrote:
Parts of the woodwork in my house are covered with a black/brown
streaky paint or varnish that creates a kind of woodgrain effect. I
need to touch up some areas - will get repainted eventually. I have a
feeling this is an old-fashioned type of paint or varnish. Anyone know
what it is and where I could get it?

Look up "graining". A good decorater will be able to do this,
or you can practice and DIY it. There's not a lot of it left
about, & it can look nicer than the timber underneath!

It's a process rather than a single product - you paint a light
undercoat and let it dry, then paint a darker translucent topcoat
(scumble glaze) and texture it (with special brushes, combs or a
graining tool) while it's still wet.

I've seen this done - it's not this. I think I must have exaggerated
the streakyness. It's basically brown and I know about the guy who used
to live there. He would not have gone to that much trouble. So, forget
about the black. It's bascically brown varnish/paint. I'm sure there
was a post about it a while ago, but I can't find it.
Any other ideas ?
I will try to get a picture.
Simon.