Rob Morley

Default old-fashioned black/brown streaky wood paint

In article .com,
says...
It's a process rather than a single product - you paint a light
undercoat and let it dry, then paint a darker translucent topcoat
(scumble glaze) and texture it (with special brushes, combs or a
graining tool) while it's still wet.

I've seen this done - it's not this. I think I must have exaggerated
the streakyness. It's basically brown and I know about the guy who used
to live there. He would not have gone to that much trouble. So, forget
about the black. It's bascically brown varnish/paint. I'm sure there
was a post about it a while ago, but I can't find it.
Any other ideas ?

I suppose you could try button polish, brushed on in a few coats.