Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Annoying Vacuum Cleaner

Hi all

I must have something wrong here - typical bloke never read the instructions
and now can't find them!

Er indoors bought a Panasonic cyclone "bagless" vacuum a few years back.

With considerable frequency, the air filter thingy in the top of the waste
cannister gets choked with dust, the performance drops right off and I have
to take it out and de-dust it (a far messier job than emptying a bag!).
Do these filters need regular replacement rather than cleaning?

Also, there seems to be some sort of safety inlet on the back of the upright
machine body.
If any serious resistance is applied to the business end e. g. getting hold
of a plastic bag with the hose end, then this air inlet port becomes active
and the suction drops off. I then have to put my hand over this port to
return majority suction to the hose. It seems at times to require
remarkably little obstruction to activate this by-pass port, so half the
time you are reaching to the back of the machine to block it and return full
suction.

So am I missing something, or is this how the Panasonic and other cyclone
style vacuums should behave?

Thanks

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
TheScullster wrote:
So am I missing something, or is this how the Panasonic and other cyclone
style vacuums should behave?

I have a cheap bag less type bought from Lidl. Just for the odd use where
the upright isn't so handy.

It blocks its filter so quickly as to be useless. But works just fine
without. I'd guess it's there to meet some standard for those with dust
allergies. Without, the container still fills up with dust etc, so it is
doing it's job - although maybe not to perfection. Which certainly would
be pointless here anyway. ;-)

--
*Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot at them?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/07/2012 10:40, TheScullster wrote:
[...]

I don't know about Panasonic, but I've got a bagless machine which I
bought at Lidl, and that behaves in a similar way. When the filters get
blocked - which is pretty quickly(!) - the performance is dire, and it's
a very messy job to clean them.

I don't know whether Dyson machines are any better. They got the patents
tied up for bagless vacuum cleaners, so maybe other manufacturers can't
copy some of the features needed to make them work properly.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheScullster" wrote:
[...]

It sounds like it's partially choked somewhere, either at the filter level
or perhaps in the hose. The more readily the bypass ports open, the more
choked your machine is.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
TheScullster wrote:
So am I missing something, or is this how the Panasonic and other cyclone
style vacuums should behave?

I have a cheap bag less type bought from Lidl. Just for the odd use where
the upright isn't so handy.

It blocks its filter so quickly as to be useless. But works just fine
without. I'd guess it's there to meet some standard for those with dust
allergies. Without, the container still fills up with dust etc, so it is
doing it's job - although maybe not to perfection. Which certainly would
be pointless here anyway. ;-)

I have used one of them.
You just take the filter off the top and bang it on the inside of the
dustbin a few times and put it back.
They don't half make an irritating noise though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 16, 10:40*am, "TheScullster" wrote:
[...]

The filter does need regular cleaning. The one on our Vax is (hand)
washable. It doesn't have a bypass but does have a presure switch that
turns on the warning light when there's a blockage.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
So am I missing something, or is this how the Panasonic and other
cyclone
style vacuums should behave?

I have a cheap bag less type bought from Lidl. Just for the odd use where
the upright isn't so handy.

It blocks its filter so quickly as to be useless. But works just fine
without. I'd guess it's there to meet some standard for those with dust
allergies. Without, the container still fills up with dust etc, so it is
doing it's job - although maybe not to perfection. Which certainly would
be pointless here anyway. ;-)

I have used one of them.
You just take the filter off the top and bang it on the inside of the
dustbin a few times and put it back.
They don't half make an irritating noise though.

A few bangs doesn't clear the filter very well. Washing is better, but
then you have to wait for it to dry, or it traps dust/mud ten times as
fast. The phrase "cheap and nasty" fits the bill here (ours was
super-cheap, bought as a sort of experiment.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

PDF manuals for many Panasonic cleaners are available here

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_G...l#anker_222458

Replacement filters, which are available from various suppliers appear to
cost anthing from £30 - £55 depending on model.

michael adams

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I don't know whether Dyson machines are any better. They got the patents
tied up for bagless vacuum cleaners, so maybe other manufacturers can't
copy some of the features needed to make them work properly.

I have two old Dyson DC08's, which have a round foam disc-shaped filer
after the cyclone stage. They need cleaning about once or twice a year,
and more frequently if I suck up plaster dust(!) A long rinse under the
tap does it, then leave to dry.
I bought a few cheap copies online which allows a quick change when needed.

I've not yet needed to replace the post-motor paper filter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roger Mills wrote:
I don't know about Panasonic, but I've got a bagless machine which I
bought at Lidl, and that behaves in a similar way. When the filters get
blocked - which is pretty quickly(!) - the performance is dire, and it's
a very messy job to clean them.

Take out the filter which fits in the central part, and leave it out.
Works perfectly well without - you don't get clouds of dust everywhere.

--
*Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In ,
Roger wrote:
I don't know about Panasonic, but I've got a bagless machine which I
bought at Lidl, and that behaves in a similar way. When the filters get
blocked - which is pretty quickly(!) - the performance is dire, and it's
a very messy job to clean them.

Take out the filter which fits in the central part, and leave it out.
Works perfectly well without - you don't get clouds of dust everywhere.

Good tip. I'll try it!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
[...]

Indeed. Banging certainly wouldn't work with mine. Mine has a paper
circular concertina type filter (like a small car air intake filter)
surrounded by a a foam cylinder. The foam gathers a thick layer of
fluff, which has to be peeled off and then the foam removed and washed.
The paper concertina gets thick with fine dust between the folds. I find
that a good blast of air from my compressor is the best way to clear
that - taking it outside, and making a careful note of the wind direction!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/07/2012 12:13, michael adams wrote:

Replacement filters, which are available from various suppliers appear to
cost anthing from £30 - £55 depending on model.

Well, my Lidl machine only cost £40 for the whole thing!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roger Mills wrote:

I don't know whether Dyson machines are any better. They got the patents
tied up for bagless vacuum cleaners, so maybe other manufacturers can't
copy some of the features needed to make them work properly.

We were strongly recommended to clean the sponge filter at least every
3 months in our DC07. Just a wash under the tap for the sponge filter
and the carrier with the cloth filter in and leave to dry overnight.

Dyson sends us an email to remins us...

The service engineer told us that was the biggest thing that would make
a difference and make the motor last longer. (The original motor burnt
out after 9 years, but it has been abused before we got it on a shop
renovation project - lots and lots of plaster dust, etc.)

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Taking the filter out rather than fixing the problem just means you
make all that dust air-borne, just to settle and need cleaning up
again.

On the Lidl one, there is an outer mesh filter before the fine one which
gets blocked so easily. Then a foam one between dust container and motor,
and a further foam one on the air outlet. All of these need a clean once
in a while so ok by me. It doesn't appear to deposit dust everywhere
without the offending filter - otherwise I'd not use it indoors.

It's actually quite a nice little machine considering the cost.

--
*If they arrest the Energizer Bunny, would they charge it with battery? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
[...]

A friends' Diesoon suffered from v. dusty filters (can't remember exact
details as this was about 7 years ago) and it was wash filter, let it dry,
buy new filter etc. I took the whole lot outside, removed the offending bits
and found that they sort of fitted in the wrong way round. Start vac., great
cloud of dust'n'fluff, job done for several non-bagfuls.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I would put it down to bad design, I have used many bagless machines
which clog up too quickly and have very poor filtration, only the Dyson
seems to work better than most but I find it overpriced and far too
plasticy for my liking. You shouldn't be removing filters BEFORE the
motor as it will just let too much dust in to the motor and thus shorten
it's life. I find the Miele and Numatic bagged vacuums to work perfectly
with no drop in suction, especially with the newer style bags (not
paper), I use my Numatic George for valeting cars and it gets all sorts
of crap thrown at it with no problem. In the house we have 2 Miele
vacuums with HEPA grade filtration, the only machines that are actually
true HEPA. All we do is replace the bag every 3-5 months and the filters
annually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDhTx...feature=relmfu

--
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 11:12:27 +0100, Roger Mills
wrote:

[...]

Having had a large wet/dry drum type vacuum for years before it gave
up I wanted to stay bagless, and with recommendations from this group
I ended up with a Vax. The filter clogs up quite quickly but I have
had some success by wrapping a cloth around it. The ideal material
would have been the filter from the old wet/dry but that got binned.

As I see it the sucking action pulls too much into the filter giving
no time for it to fall to the bottom of the cyclone cylinder.

Anyone got any brilliant ideas on this? Though I may try the
suggeston of removing the filter altogether, just worried about the
motor then.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

The Vax I have used had a filter in the container (which clogged) and
another just before the motor when you remove the container so it may be
worth trying it without the filter in the container

--
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, July 16, 2012 12:56:08 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article >,
Roger Mills > wrote:
> I don't know about Panasonic, but I've got a bagless machine which I
> bought at Lidl, and that behaves in a similar way. When the filters get
> blocked - which is pretty quickly(!) - the performance is dire, and it's
> a very messy job to clean them.

Take out the filter which fits in the central part, and leave it out.
Works perfectly well without - you don't get clouds of dust everywhere.

Arn't those filters there as part of the Hepta thing for alleregies..

I washed mine from my DC35 after about 6 months, the motor kept stopping and starting every second or so I was using it.

--
*Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Take out the filter which fits in the central part, and leave it out.
Works perfectly well without - you don't get clouds of dust
everywhere.

Arn't those filters there as part of the Hepta thing for alleregies..

That was my guess - although I didn't know what it was called. My Lidl one
seems just fine without it - but then I don't suffer from such things.

--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/07/2012 3:31 a.m., PeterC wrote:

A friends' Diesoon suffered from v. dusty filters (can't remember exact
details as this was about 7 years ago) and it was wash filter, let it dry,
buy new filter etc. I took the whole lot outside, removed the offending bits
and found that they sort of fitted in the wrong way round. Start vac., great
cloud of dust'n'fluff, job done for several non-bagfuls.

Ours isn't a Diesoon, it's a no-name Chinese device. I'll check to see
if there is a blow-instead-of-suck configuration.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Also, there seems to be some sort of safety inlet on the back of the
upright machine body.
If any serious resistance is applied to the business end e. g.
getting hold of a plastic bag with the hose end, t

MBQ

The safety inlet is important - if the inlet is completely blocked then the
fan will "stall" and the motor can overspeed. With no air to move there is
no load on the motor - and no cooling. If operated in this way, the motor
could overheat and burn out.