Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default So, how are solar PVPs fixed (proper and cowboy) ?

Driving through my village today, I glanced up at some monstrous PVP
installations about the size of a football field on a couple of roofs. It
occurred to me to wonder how exactly these are fixed to the roof underneath,
and I'm thinking that there is probably an industry 'proper' way, and a
'cowboy' way.

When I looked at these installations, they seemed to be spaced a good
several inches above the tiles, which were 'standard' concrete types. Given
that in general, these are 'loose-laid', and the PVPs are presumably fixed
directly to them, does this gap between the tiles and the panel underside
not represent a serious wind hazard ? It actually doesn't take a
particularly high wind to move loose-fitted roof tiles on their own, so I'm
thinking that with a bloody great sail above and fixed to them ... ?

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Arfa Daily
writes
Driving through my village today, I glanced up at some monstrous PVP
installations about the size of a football field on a couple of roofs.
It occurred to me to wonder how exactly these are fixed to the roof
underneath, and I'm thinking that there is probably an industry
'proper' way, and a 'cowboy' way.

When I looked at these installations, they seemed to be spaced a good
several inches above the tiles, which were 'standard' concrete types.
Given that in general, these are 'loose-laid', and the PVPs are
presumably fixed directly to them, does this gap between the tiles and
the panel underside not represent a serious wind hazard ? It actually
doesn't take a particularly high wind to move loose-fitted roof tiles
on their own, so I'm thinking that with a bloody great sail above and
fixed to them ... ?

This could be why Harry's house was last seen at 10.000 feet heading for
Rockall

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
news
Driving through my village today, I glanced up at some monstrous PVP
installations about the size of a football field on a couple of roofs. It
occurred to me to wonder how exactly these are fixed to the roof
underneath, and I'm thinking that there is probably an industry 'proper'
way, and a 'cowboy' way.

When I looked at these installations, they seemed to be spaced a good
several inches above the tiles, which were 'standard' concrete types.
Given that in general, these are 'loose-laid', and the PVPs are presumably
fixed directly to them, does this gap between the tiles and the panel
underside not represent a serious wind hazard ? It actually doesn't take a
particularly high wind to move loose-fitted roof tiles on their own, so
I'm thinking that with a bloody great sail above and fixed to them ... ?

I know that the array that was installed on the neighbour's tiled roof was
done
by installing metal work bolted thru the tiles into the battens behind the
tiles.

I doubt anyone screws them to the tiles themselves, even the worst of the
cowboys.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 9, 2:22*am, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
Driving through my village today, I glanced up at some monstrous PVP
installations about the size of a football field on a couple of roofs. It
occurred to me to wonder how exactly these are fixed to the roof underneath,
and I'm thinking that there is probably an industry 'proper' way, and a
'cowboy' way.

When I looked at these installations, they seemed to be spaced a good
several inches above the tiles, which were 'standard' concrete types. Given
that in general, these are 'loose-laid', and the PVPs are presumably fixed
directly to them, does this gap between the tiles and the panel underside
not represent a serious wind hazard ? It actually doesn't take a
particularly high wind to move loose-fitted roof tiles on their own, so I'm
thinking that with a bloody great sail above and fixed to them ... *?

Arfa

Tiles/slates are removed and pedastles are fixed to the common
rafters. The tiles are put back round the pedastles trimmed as
neccessary with lead flashings.

Rails are fixed to the pedastles and the panels are fixed to the
rails.

You are right, there are cowboy methods.
One is they drill through "fake slates" and fix to the intersection
point where a batten crosses a rafter. The pedastle goes on top with a
rubber seal.

This may be fine if the hole is not near a perpend, but if it is the
roof leaks.

You can also get integrated systems that replace tiles. They are less
efficient as some cooling effect is lost. (They generate more in cool
weather.) More suitable to new builds.

Thinking of getting some Arfa?
You better be quick, the rate is being cut to £0.16 on Aug 1st 2012.
There is no guarantee the price of panels will fall as it did last
time there was a big cut.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I gather somewhere in Surrey there is a dispute going on where an installer
fitted them on a thatched roof, and now the planning folk are after the
householders guts for spoiling the look of the area.

These must be fastened inside the loft, so I dont thing people need to worry
about the fastenings as long as the underlying structure is solid in the
first place.
Brian

From the sofa of Brian Gaff -

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 9, 8:32*am, "Brian Gaff" wrote:
I gather somewhere in Surrey there is a dispute going on where an installer
fitted them on a thatched roof, and now the planning folk are after the
householders guts for spoiling the look of the area.

You don't need planning permission unless it is a listed building or
conservation area or bigger than 4Kwp or projects above the roofline.

Are all thatched cottages listed?
Could be a new building I suppose in which case no recourse.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2012 02:22, Arfa Daily wrote:
Driving through my village today,

How is the burger place going?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 9 Jul 2012 02:22:43 +0100, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

Driving through my village today, I glanced up at some monstrous PVP
installations about the size of a football field on a couple of roofs. It
occurred to me to wonder how exactly these are fixed to the roof underneath,
and I'm thinking that there is probably an industry 'proper' way, and a
'cowboy' way.

Something like this:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/48..._roof.html?s=p

....to support a frame (a decade or so ago they used to be galvanised
steel U shaped section) that the panels are then fixed to

There are a few different types here

http://www.navitron.org.uk/product.php?proID=129

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Driving through my village today, I glanced up at some monstrous PVP
installations about the size of a football field on a couple of roofs. It
occurred to me to wonder how exactly these are fixed to the roof underneath,
and I'm thinking that there is probably an industry 'proper' way, and a
'cowboy' way.

When I looked at these installations, they seemed to be spaced a good
several inches above the tiles, which were 'standard' concrete types. Given
that in general, these are 'loose-laid', and the PVPs are presumably fixed
directly to them, does this gap between the tiles and the panel underside
not represent a serious wind hazard ? It actually doesn't take a
particularly high wind to move loose-fitted roof tiles on their own, so I'm
thinking that with a bloody great sail above and fixed to them ... ?

Arfa

He's just shut the loft hatch else I'd have nipped up and took a photo
(OK I exagerate, I'd have crawled up the ladder crying, and then not
been able to get the camera to take a photo - I do not like ladders)
I think it's long metal batten on the inside. Even with the mega winds
when they were fitted and since there have been no issues.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
news
[...]

Hmmm. I kinda thought that might be the case, but in some ways that worries
me even more when I think of cowboy installers drilling away willy nilly and
missing the battens or rafters or whatever they are trying to get a fix to.
Plus, concrete roof tiles are not the most robust of things, and I would
have thought that putting holes through them was asking for trouble with
them cracking, particularly when there could be some quite high wind loads
applied to the frame ... :-\

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
[...]

OK on all that, and the answer is a resounding NO ! I hate the bloody things
and think that they are one of the most incongruous things to come along and
blight the look of pretty villages. I also think that it is absolutely wrong
that they can just bypass planning because of their so-called 'green'
credentials. I know you love yours, and you believe in their savings and so
on, but put them on my roof ?

Never ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
On 09/07/2012 02:22, Arfa Daily wrote:
Driving through my village today,

How is the burger place going?

Hi Dave

Mr W emailed me direct the other day to ask me exactly the same thing, as
it's been exactly a year since we opened it ! It's doing OK, thanks. Could
be better, but paying its way, which in today's climate is probably about
the best you could ask for. All the usual problems with staff reliability,
and customers who can't read a menu ( do you do fish ? Errr no, we do
burgers ... The chip shop is 4 doors down ... )

Got some new varieties though, and now doing onion rings as well. Also
cheesy chips, cheesy bacon chips and chilli chips. All very popular. Counter
is still standing and undamaged, so I must have got the design and
construction of that right :-)

Thanks for your continued interest. Appreciated

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2012 02:22 Arfa Daily wrote:

Driving through my village today, I glanced up at some monstrous PVP
installations about the size of a football field on a couple of roofs.
It occurred to me to wonder how exactly these are fixed to the roof
underneath

Slide tile up, screw metal bracket to rafter, slide tile back down,
repeat as often as needed, fix rails to brackets, fix panels to rails.

Any grinding of tiles is to be avoided, as is fixing through tiles.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Arfa Daily
wrote

and I'm thinking that there is probably an industry 'proper' way,

No more nails

and a 'cowboy' way.

A lesser grip fix product.

--
Alan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Arfa Daily wrote

[...]

I didn't mean that. I meant that they lift the tiles to see where the
rafters
are and attach the metal brackets to those and put the tiles back.

Plus, concrete roof tiles are not the most robust of things, and I would
have thought that putting holes through them was asking for trouble with
them cracking,

Sure, I worded that badly. I didn't mean literally drilling thru the tiles.

particularly when there could be some quite high wind loads applied to the
frame ... :-\

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
On 09/07/2012 02:22 Arfa Daily wrote:

Driving through my village today, I glanced up at some monstrous PVP
installations about the size of a football field on a couple of roofs.
It occurred to me to wonder how exactly these are fixed to the roof
underneath

Slide tile up, screw metal bracket to rafter, slide tile back down, repeat
as often as needed, fix rails to brackets, fix panels to rails.

Any grinding of tiles is to be avoided, as is fixing through tiles.

Ah-ha ! There's a nice shortcut for the cowboys, then ... :-)

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Arfa Daily wrote

[...]

Yeah, OK, point taken. You can bet your life though that if drilling through
the tiles is the wrong way to do it, there *will* be some for whom it will
be the 'preferred' way ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Arfa Daily wrote

[...]

Dunno, because its so much more work than just lifting the tile instead.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 9, 10:22*pm, F news@nowhere wrote:
On 09/07/2012 02:22 Arfa Daily wrote:

Driving through my village today, I glanced up at some monstrous PVP
installations about the size of a football field on a couple of roofs.
It occurred to me to wonder how exactly these are fixed to the roof
underneath

Slide tile up, screw metal bracket to rafter, slide tile back down,
repeat as often as needed, fix rails to brackets, fix panels to rails.

Any grinding of tiles is to be avoided, as is fixing through tiles.

The tiles always have to be cut.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 9, 10:11*pm, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

[...]

Arfa- Hide quoted text -

Perfect for your burgher bar.
People can do what they like with their own property without
interfering busybodies.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message

[...]

Seems to me that if you take that philosophy to its logical conclusion, you
are heading down the road to anarchy. Whilst I don't agree with some
planning decisions - and trust me, I have had plenty of run-ins with the
planning department over the years - I never-the-less believe that overall,
they fulfill a useful function in preventing people's wild notions from
impacting on others ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2012 06:16 harry wrote:

The tiles always have to be cut.

Only if you're employing a cowboy.

Ours (concrete) are absolutely intact.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:

On 10/07/2012 06:16 harry wrote:

The tiles always have to be cut.

Only if you're employing a cowboy.

Ours (concrete) are absolutely intact.

Same here.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:

People can do what they like with their own property without
interfering busybodies.

The sort of busybodies who decide for illogical reasons that everybody
is GOING to have solar panels on their roof even if it destroys the
nations economy in the process.

and how hard it is to achieve it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 10, 9:46*am, F news@nowhere wrote:
On 10/07/2012 06:16 harry wrote:

The tiles always have to be cut.

Only if you're employing a cowboy.

Ours (concrete) are absolutely intact.

So explain how the panels are secured to the roof without cutting the
tiles.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 10, 12:38*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
harry wrote:
People can do what they like with their own property without
interfering busybodies.

The sort of busybodies who decide for illogical reasons that everybody
is GOING to have solar panels on their roof even if it destroys the
nations economy in the process.

and how hard it is to achieve it.

Only thick old farts like you think so.
You are in cloud cuckooland.
Your stupid ego tripping bit at the bottom of your posts reveals it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:

On Jul 10, 9:46 am, F news@nowhere wrote:
On 10/07/2012 06:16 harry wrote:

The tiles always have to be cut.

Only if you're employing a cowboy.

Ours (concrete) are absolutely intact.

So explain how the panels are secured to the roof without cutting the
tiles.

I would guess:

Flat metal bracket goes under tile and is secured to the rafter;

Bracket protudes over the top of the next tile and the frame is tethered top
the bracket.

The frame's weight rests partly (or mostly) on the tiles but is anchored
against slipping/lifting by the bracket.

Am I right?
--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
harry wrote:
People can do what they like with their own property without
interfering busybodies.

The sort of busybodies who decide for illogical reasons that everybody
is GOING to have solar panels on their roof even if it destroys the
nations economy in the process.

and how hard it is to achieve it.

Only thick old farts like you think so.
You are in cloud cuckooland.
Your stupid ego tripping bit at the bottom of your posts reveals it.

Poor old harry. Nobody likes him and nobody respects him.

Always trying to be ahead of the game, but started so far back he will
never have a hope to even get with the program.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

harry wrote:

So explain how the panels are secured to the roof without cutting the
tiles.

I would guess:

First slide the tile up to expose the rafter

Flat metal bracket goes under tile and is secured to the rafter;

The bracket is cranked, rather like
http://www.solar-pv-systems.com/solar-pv-roof-fixing-pantile-adjustable-p-359.html

Tile then slides back into place

See
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiLM0g9UC74&feature=related

Bracket protudes over the top of the next tile and the frame is tethered top
the bracket.

The fixing rails fasten to the bracket, the panels then fasten to
the rails.

The frame's weight rests partly (or mostly) on the tiles but is anchored
against slipping/lifting by the bracket.

Am I right?

Nearly. The weight is mostly taken by the bracket.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 11, 7:49*am, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
harry wrote:

[...]

So it's a guess? Posted as fact?

The underside of the tile on top of a bracket has to be cut away or
it won't lie flat against it's neighbour. The brackets have thickness
you know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
harry wrote:

[...]

Check the attributions.

My information is based on what I saw on my own roof.

The underside of the tile on top of a bracket has to be cut away or
it won't lie flat against it's neighbour. The brackets have thickness
you know.

The tiles over the brackets sit a few mm higher than their
neighbours. With that design of concrete tile, it is barely
perceptible, and is of no consequence.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:

The underside of the tile on top of a bracket has to be cut away or
it won't lie flat against it's neighbour. The brackets have thickness
you know.

Few mm. Tiles (apart from slate) are not known for their engineering grade
flatness!

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2012 18:50 harry wrote:

On Jul 10, 9:46 am, F news@nowhere wrote:
On 10/07/2012 06:16 harry wrote:

The tiles always have to be cut.

Only if you're employing a cowboy.

Ours (concrete) are absolutely intact.

So explain how the panels are secured to the roof without cutting the
tiles.

I did, 20+ hours prior to you post, in message
posted on 09/07/2012 at 22:22.

The underside of the tile isn't flat. It has nibs which sit in the tile
below and so there's a gap through which the bracket can pass. Grinding
tiles is not acceptable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2012 18:56 Tim Watts wrote:
I would guess:

Flat metal bracket goes under tile and is secured to the rafter;

Bracket protudes over the top of the next tile and the frame is tethered top
the bracket.

The frame's weight rests partly (or mostly) on the tiles but is anchored
against slipping/lifting by the bracket.

Am I right?

Almost.

The underside of the tile isn't flat. It has nibs which sit on the tile
below and so there's a gap through which the bracket can pass. There's
no weight transmitted through tiles.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2012 10:15 F wrote:

So explain how the panels are secured to the roof without cutting the
tiles.

I did, 20+ hours prior to you post, in message
posted on 09/07/2012 at 22:22.

The underside of the tile isn't flat. It has nibs which sit in the tile
below and so there's a gap through which the bracket can pass. Grinding
tiles is not acceptable.

Should have said 'sit *on* the tile below' and not 'sit *in* the tile
below'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 11, 9:24*am, Tim Watts wrote:
harry wrote:
*The underside of the tile on top of a bracket has to be cut away or
it won't lie flat against it's neighbour. *The brackets have thickness
you know.

Few mm. Tiles (apart from slate) are not known for their engineering grade
flatness!

--
Tim Watts

Tiles concrete tiles have to be very accurate or the roof will not end
up square.
I sawno trace ofany upstanding tiles on the youtube video.
The reason is that they want the process to appear as simple as
possible.
There are three PV arrays within 50 yards of where I am sitting
including my own. I have watched them putting all of them on.
Interlocking tiles have to lie flat or the ridged side ledge will
break off and the roof will leak..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 11, 10:15*am, F news@nowhere wrote:
On 10/07/2012 18:50 harry wrote:

On Jul 10, 9:46 am, F news@nowhere wrote:
On 10/07/2012 06:16 harry wrote:

The tiles always have to be cut.

Only if you're employing a cowboy.

Ours (concrete) are absolutely intact.

So explain how the panels are secured to the roof without cutting the
tiles.

I did, 20+ hours prior to you post, in message
posted on 09/07/2012 at 22:22.

The underside of the tile isn't flat. It has nibs which sit in the tile
below and so there's a gap through which the bracket can pass. Grinding
tiles is not acceptable.

There is no gap. The ridges are to prevent capilliary effect.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2012 19:39 harry wrote:

On Jul 11, 10:15 am, F news@nowhere wrote:
On 10/07/2012 18:50 harry wrote:

On Jul 10, 9:46 am, F news@nowhere wrote:
On 10/07/2012 06:16 harry wrote:

The tiles always have to be cut.

Only if you're employing a cowboy.

Ours (concrete) are absolutely intact.

So explain how the panels are secured to the roof without cutting the
tiles.

I did, 20+ hours prior to you post, in message
posted on 09/07/2012 at 22:22.

The underside of the tile isn't flat. It has nibs which sit in the tile
below and so there's a gap through which the bracket can pass. Grinding
tiles is not acceptable.

There is no gap. The ridges are to prevent capilliary effect.

Then your tiles are different from mine and others I have seen.

Mine have gaps underneath, they haven't been cut or ground, they still
lay flat. Grinding and/or cutting tiles to install PV is deprecated

..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 11, 10:18*pm, F news@nowhere wrote:
[...]

You are talking crap. I have installed thousands of tiles. Gaps are
kept to the absolute minumum in all designs in order to keep snow etc
out.

Cowboy builders dennis@home UK diy 0 September 30th 09 11:40 AM
O/T: The Cowboy! Lew Hodgett[_5_] Woodworking 0 May 3rd 09 04:49 AM
OT - Montana Cowboy Cliff Metalworking 1 May 5th 06 08:10 PM
Cowboy Plumbers Keith Lard \(Woof Woof!!\) UK diy 0 December 5th 03 08:38 PM
Stationary planers - fixed head or fixed table? Steve Turner Woodworking 5 July 12th 03 02:15 AM