Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default So, how are solar PVPs fixed (proper and cowboy) ?

On 12/07/2012 10:21 harry wrote:

You are talking crap.

I think it's the other way round as your reputation on here would appear
to confirm.

There's no point in continuing with this. I have panels on two roofs and
no tiles were cut or ground...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 09:10:26 +0100, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

"harry" wrote in message
On Jul 9, 10:11 pm, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

On Jul 9, 2:22 am, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
Driving through my village today, I glanced up at some monstrous PVP
installations about the size of a football field on a couple of roofs.
It
occurred to me to wonder how exactly these are fixed to the roof
underneath,
and I'm thinking that there is probably an industry 'proper' way, and
'cowboy' way.

When I looked at these installations, they seemed to be spaced a good
several inches above the tiles, which were 'standard' concrete types.
Given
that in general, these are 'loose-laid', and the PVPs are presumably
fixed
directly to them, does this gap between the tiles and the panel
underside
not represent a serious wind hazard ? It actually doesn't take a
particularly high wind to move loose-fitted roof tiles on their own,
so
I'm
thinking that with a bloody great sail above and fixed to them ... ?

Arfa

Tiles/slates are removed and pedastles are fixed to the common
rafters. The tiles are put back round the pedastles trimmed as
neccessary with lead flashings.

Rails are fixed to the pedastles and the panels are fixed to the
rails.

You are right, there are cowboy methods.
One is they drill through "fake slates" and fix to the intersection
point where a batten crosses a rafter. The pedastle goes on top with a
rubber seal.

This may be fine if the hole is not near a perpend, but if it is the
roof leaks.

You can also get integrated systems that replace tiles. They are less
efficient as some cooling effect is lost. (They generate more in cool
weather.) More suitable to new builds.

Thinking of getting some Arfa?
You better be quick, the rate is being cut to £0.16 on Aug 1st 2012.
There is no guarantee the price of panels will fall as it did last
time there was a big cut.

OK on all that, and the answer is a resounding NO ! I hate the bloody
things
and think that they are one of the most incongruous things to come along
and
blight the look of pretty villages. I also think that it is absolutely
wrong
that they can just bypass planning because of their so-called 'green'
credentials. I know you love yours, and you believe in their savings and
so
on, but put them on my roof ?

Never ...

Arfa- Hide quoted text -

Perfect for your burgher bar.
People can do what they like with their own property without
interfering busybodies.

Seems to me that if you take that philosophy to its logical conclusion, you
are heading down the road to anarchy. Whilst I don't agree with some
planning decisions - and trust me, I have had plenty of run-ins with the
planning department over the years - I never-the-less believe that overall,
they fulfill a useful function in preventing people's wild notions from
impacting on others ...

You only have to look at countries that have a free-for-all planning
system to be grateful for the system we've got. Even if it doesn't
always go our personal way.

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, July 9, 2012 8:48:09 AM UTC+1, harry wrote:
On Jul 9, 8:32*am, "Brian Gaff" > wrote:
> I gather somewhere in Surrey there is a dispute going on where an installer
> fitted them on a thatched roof, and now the planning folk are after the
> householders guts for spoiling the look of the area.

You don't need planning permission unless it is a listed building or
conservation area or bigger than 4Kwp or projects above the roofline.

Are all thatched cottages listed?
Could be a new building I suppose in which case no recourse.

and, IIRC, you allowed to raise the roof by 150mm in the process, without PP.

Robert

Cowboy builders dennis@home UK diy 0 September 30th 09 11:40 AM
O/T: The Cowboy! Lew Hodgett[_5_] Woodworking 0 May 3rd 09 04:49 AM
OT - Montana Cowboy Cliff Metalworking 1 May 5th 06 08:10 PM
Cowboy Plumbers Keith Lard \(Woof Woof!!\) UK diy 0 December 5th 03 08:38 PM
Stationary planers - fixed head or fixed table? Steve Turner Woodworking 5 July 12th 03 02:15 AM