Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default That Aldi cable access kit

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...uys3_25443.htm

Can anyone who has purchased this confirm for me the build of the hook
end accessory?

Mine is a loose hook with a male threaded end but the thread is smaller
than the female thread on the back end of the rods. My guess is that is
meant to have a barrel with 2 fem threads, one smaller for the hook and
one larger for the male rod end but that this is missing.

Sadly one rod end also hasn't been threaded so just working out whether
to thread it myself or take it back for replacement (or make do with
9m). Sadder still, my nearest store is out of stock so I had to go to
the next one to get it, and go back to replace it :-/
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 8, 6:56*pm, fred wrote:
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...uys3_25443.htm

Can anyone who has purchased this confirm for me the build of the hook
end accessory?

Mine is a loose hook with a male threaded end but the thread is smaller
than the female thread on the back end of the rods. My guess is that is
meant to have a barrel with 2 fem threads, one smaller for the hook and
one larger for the male rod end but that this is missing.

Sadly one rod end also hasn't been threaded so just working out whether
to thread it myself or take it back for replacement (or make do with
9m). Sadder still, my nearest store is out of stock so I had to go to
the next one to get it, and go back to replace it :-/
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Bought mine from ebay, cheaper than Aldi and alls fits together fine.
Could you return it and replace via ebay?

I bought a "Bulldozer Broom" from Aldi several years ago (the first
year they had them, I think) and the bits didn't fit together
properly. They changed the design in subsequent years. Although
Aldidl are generally good, they do sometimes source lemons...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:

Can anyone who has purchased this confirm for me the build of the hook
end accessory?

Mine is a loose hook with a male threaded end but the thread is smaller
than the female thread on the back end of the rods. My guess is that is
meant to have a barrel with 2 fem threads, one smaller for the hook and
one larger for the male rod end but that this is missing.

Mine's got the flexy M-F thing, the hook end and *two* largeF-smallF
barrels which attach the end to the rod, but I'm missing the ring end :-(

Sadly one rod end also hasn't been threaded so just working out whether
to thread it myself or take it back for replacement (or make do with
9m).

All my rods are fine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 8 Jul 2012 18:56:07 +0100, fred wrote:

Mine is a loose hook with a male threaded end but the thread is smaller
than the female thread on the back end of the rods. My guess is that is
meant to have a barrel with 2 fem threads, one smaller for the hook and
one larger for the male rod end but that this is missing.

Sadly one rod end also hasn't been threaded so just working out whether
to thread it myself or take it back for replacement (or make do with
9m). Sadder still, my nearest store is out of stock so I had to go to
the next one to get it, and go back to replace it :-/

Oh begger, feel a bit bad about flaging 'em up now. B-(

Sorry can't help as I got a similar set from SF a couple of years back.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy
Burns writes
fred wrote:

Can anyone who has purchased this confirm for me the build of the hook
end accessory?

Mine is a loose hook with a male threaded end but the thread is smaller
than the female thread on the back end of the rods. My guess is that is
meant to have a barrel with 2 fem threads, one smaller for the hook and
one larger for the male rod end but that this is missing.

Mine's got the flexy M-F thing, the hook end and *two* largeF-smallF
barrels which attach the end to the rod, but I'm missing the ring end :-(

Sadly one rod end also hasn't been threaded so just working out whether
to thread it myself or take it back for replacement (or make do with
9m).

All my rods are fine.

Thanks Andy, between us I think we can work out what the kit should
contain.

I think you've come off worse, the ring end (actually just a rod sized
barrel machined flat and with a hole drilled in it) looks far more
useful than the hook. Sure you can tape on a leader but that's not the
point.

Think I'll take a wander over tomorrow to swap it.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Sun, 8 Jul 2012 18:56:07 +0100, fred wrote:

Mine is a loose hook with a male threaded end but the thread is smaller
than the female thread on the back end of the rods. My guess is that is
meant to have a barrel with 2 fem threads, one smaller for the hook and
one larger for the male rod end but that this is missing.

Sadly one rod end also hasn't been threaded so just working out whether
to thread it myself or take it back for replacement (or make do with
9m). Sadder still, my nearest store is out of stock so I had to go to
the next one to get it, and go back to replace it :-/

Oh begger, feel a bit bad about flaging 'em up now. B-(

Not to worry, not your fault and I'd rather have it in it's present
state than have nothing at all. Unreserved thanks for the heads-up.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd definitely go back. If nobody does their suppliers have got away with
shoddy QA.
Brian

From the sofa of Brian Gaff -

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"fred" wrote in message ...
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...uys3_25443.htm

Can anyone who has purchased this confirm for me the build of the hook end
accessory?

Mine is a loose hook with a male threaded end but the thread is smaller
than the female thread on the back end of the rods. My guess is that is
meant to have a barrel with 2 fem threads, one smaller for the hook and
one larger for the male rod end but that this is missing.

Sadly one rod end also hasn't been threaded so just working out whether to
thread it myself or take it back for replacement (or make do with 9m).
Sadder still, my nearest store is out of stock so I had to go to the next
one to get it, and go back to replace it :-/
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:

Thanks Andy, between us I think we can work out what the kit should
contain.

I think you've come off worse, the ring end (actually just a rod sized
barrel machined flat and with a hole drilled in it) looks far more
useful than the hook. Sure you can tape on a leader but that's not the
point.

I popped in as I went past today and swapped it for another (quite a few
left) of course I kept my "spare" barrel :-)

Think I'll take a wander over tomorrow to swap it.

Their "stripped back" customer service model is left a bit wanting when
it comes to doing an exchange ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy
Burns writes
fred wrote:

Thanks Andy, between us I think we can work out what the kit should
contain.

I think you've come off worse, the ring end (actually just a rod sized
barrel machined flat and with a hole drilled in it) looks far more
useful than the hook. Sure you can tape on a leader but that's not the
point.

I popped in as I went past today and swapped it for another (quite a few
left) of course I kept my "spare" barrel :-)

I went in again today and swapped it too but it was a few miles each
way, still, it's nice to have it right. Bet you lose both your barrels
by way of divine retribution ;-).

Think I'll take a wander over tomorrow to swap it.

Their "stripped back" customer service model is left a bit wanting when
it comes to doing an exchange ...

Ha! I spoke to the security guy to start with, got the replacement ready
for swap and then had a hissy fit when he suggested I should join a huge
queue to do the swap. Manager appeared and did the swap (I think they
have to approve exchanges anyway).
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:

In article , Andy
Burns writes
fred wrote:

[...]

My set seems all fine ;-)

Though I was expecting the 'ring end' to perhaps have a split ring wounted
within the hole in the brass flat. I'll probably add one of those myself.

I'm rather pleased with this set, expecially for the price. I can understand
the carrying convenience of a 300mm long set, but that seems pretty
inconvenient to me for having to thread so many rods together. Lett threadss
to come undone, as well...

J^n

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Night Tripper wrote:

My set seems all fine ;-)

Though I was expecting the 'ring end' to perhaps have a split ring wounted
within the hole in the brass flat. I'll probably add one of those myself.

I'm rather pleased with this set, expecially for the price.

Yes, the number of times I've "made do" with a net curtain spring, or a
jumbo ty-wrap made me think it's worth having one around, I can think of
one job getting an extra cable across the kitchen ceiling too ...

Screwfix Cable Access Kits Dave Liquorice[_2_] UK diy 11 March 18th 10 09:44 AM
cable access rods Stephen[_6_] UK diy 9 October 5th 09 01:49 PM
Aldi hoist cable questions Stephen[_6_] UK diy 1 June 29th 09 08:07 PM
Aldi electric cable hoist Stephen[_6_] UK diy 13 February 2nd 09 10:01 PM
Cable access box ideas saag Home Repair 3 July 20th 06 10:18 PM