Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Part P conundrum?

I've recently done the electrical wiring in my workshop, which is a
separate room tacked on to the end of a detached garage; so what this
entailed was simply adding on to an existing circuit in the garage (a
single radial socket) and extending it into a ring with 7 sockets. I
understand that you can extend an existing ring without having to put
your head above the Part P parapet?; I'm not sure whether what I've done
would qualify under that (since there wasn't a ring there as such), not
that I'm unduly bothered either way but am curious?

It also got me thinking... if the new workshop extension wiring did
qualify as exempt from Part P, what would happen if I went back a couple
of years later to sort out the garage wiring, ie to rewire that part of
the ring? That should then also be exempted under the same rule,
surely? - despite that fact in fact the entire circuit would have been
installed by a non-Part-P-qualified person with no Building Notice...
the old "my broom is 50 years old; but it's had 15 new heads and 10 new
handles" thing. Is that right?

(As it happens the existing garage radial was indeed installed by yours
truly; but in good old red and black cable, years before Part P ever
raised its ugly head...!)

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Lobster
writes

much potential grief snipped

Dave, you worry way too much, have a beer, enjoy time with your SO and
do what you will (discretely) with your garage/home wiring safe in the
knowledge that people only give a fook if you actually ram it down their
throats. Do a good job, be discrete and nobody needs/wants to know.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2012 22:41, fred wrote:
In article , Lobster
writes

much potential grief snipped

Dave, you worry way too much, have a beer, enjoy time with your SO and
do what you will (discretely) with your garage/home wiring safe in the
knowledge that people only give a fook if you actually ram it down their
throats. Do a good job, be discrete and nobody needs/wants to know.

But you snipped:
not that I'm unduly bothered either way but am curious

If I'd been concerned about it - and I can definitely assure you I am
not - I'd have submitted a Building Notice. It was just (possibly) a
point of interest, that's all...

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2012 20:18, Lobster wrote:

I've recently done the electrical wiring in my workshop, which is a
separate room tacked on to the end of a detached garage; so what this
entailed was simply adding on to an existing circuit in the garage (a
single radial socket) and extending it into a ring with 7 sockets. I
understand that you can extend an existing ring without having to put
your head above the Part P parapet?; I'm not sure whether what I've done

Indeed - so long as not in a "special location"...

would qualify under that (since there wasn't a ring there as such), not
that I'm unduly bothered either way but am curious?

I suppose you could call it "installing a new circuit", but it would be
equally arguable as extending an existing one.

It also got me thinking... if the new workshop extension wiring did
qualify as exempt from Part P, what would happen if I went back a couple
of years later to sort out the garage wiring, ie to rewire that part of
the ring? That should then also be exempted under the same rule,
surely? - despite that fact in fact the entire circuit would have been

Yup.

installed by a non-Part-P-qualified person with no Building Notice...
the old "my broom is 50 years old; but it's had 15 new heads and 10 new
handles" thing. Is that right?

Yes...

(remember part P has nothing to do with safety or ensuring quality of work!)

(As it happens the existing garage radial was indeed installed by yours
truly; but in good old red and black cable, years before Part P ever
raised its ugly head...!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
[...]

Strictly speaking Part P applies to all electrical work in the home but only
some of it is Part P notifiable.

What you have done in non notifiable.

How have you protected the circuits from overload?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 7, 8:18*pm, Lobster wrote:
[...]

Don't tell anyone.
There are too many interfering busybodies these days in our nanny
state.
Be a rebel or we will end up like OZ (and as well educated as Wodney)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/07/2012 08:05, ARWadsworth wrote:
Lobster wrote:
[...]

See previous thread!:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/78jetrk (or
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups#!topic/uk.d-i-y/IwGrtKiB8LQ)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think most people simply ignore it and do it. Nobody is any the wiser
unless the house is sold and a nosey person notices it.
How safe is safe. What is that about idiot proof only works until a better
idiot comes along?

Brian

--
From the Bed of Brian Gaff.
The email is valid as
"Lobster" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

See previous thread!:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/78jetrk (or
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups#!topic/uk.d-i-y/IwGrtKiB8LQ)

:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

See previous thread!:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/78jetrk (or
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups#!topic/uk.d-i-y/IwGrtKiB8LQ)

:-)

Well the original post was over a year ago! The tuits are *very* round
here...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm spake thus:

On 07/07/2012 20:18, Lobster wrote:

I've recently done the electrical wiring in my workshop, which is a
separate room tacked on to the end of a detached garage; so what this
entailed was simply adding on to an existing circuit in the garage (a
single radial socket) and extending it into a ring with 7 sockets. I
understand that you can extend an existing ring without having to put
your head above the Part P parapet?; I'm not sure whether what I've
done

Indeed - so long as not in a "special location"...

would qualify under that (since there wasn't a ring there as such), not
that I'm unduly bothered either way but am curious?

I suppose you could call it "installing a new circuit", but it would be
equally arguable as extending an existing one.

To me "installing a new circuit" indicates running it all the way to a
fresh MCB in the CU.

DIY Conundrum - Bathroom mo UK diy 22 January 17th 11 02:53 PM
Door conundrum geraldthehamster UK diy 6 July 18th 08 10:37 AM
OT Electrical Conundrum DonkeyHody Woodworking 48 January 7th 07 03:13 PM
Electrical conundrum NikV UK diy 5 September 17th 06 02:38 AM
OT - A Conundrum for BottleBob [email protected] Metalworking 4 May 30th 05 01:27 AM