Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Gloss paint yellows?

Does gloss paint on woodwork yellow faster than, say, satinwood finish?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Depends what its painted on and whether its crap paint or not I'd say.

Brian

From the sofa of Brian Gaff -

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"GB" wrote in message
Does gloss paint on woodwork yellow faster than, say, satinwood finish?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 6, 12:22*pm, GB wrote:
Does gloss paint on woodwork yellow faster than, say, satinwood finish?

It goes yellow because of cheap pigments reacting with the air,
pollutants or sunlight.
In days of yore it was white lead that was good.
The good one now is apparently titanium dioxide
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
harry writes:
On Jul 6, 12:22*pm, GB wrote:
Does gloss paint on woodwork yellow faster than, say, satinwood finish?

It goes yellow because of cheap pigments reacting with the air,
pollutants or sunlight.

It's the paint binder that yellows, not the pigments,
although the effect is the same.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On Jul 6, 12:22 pm, GB wrote:
Does gloss paint on woodwork yellow faster than, say, satinwood finish?

It goes yellow because of cheap pigments reacting with the air,

No. it doesn't
It goes yellow because the actual emulsion - oil traditionally - yellows
under ultraviolet light

It's there anything you DO know about bar ripping off your neighbours?

and how hard it is to achieve it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

harry wrote:
On Jul 6, 12:22 pm, GB wrote:
Does gloss paint on woodwork yellow faster than, say, satinwood finish?

It goes yellow because of cheap pigments reacting with the air,

No. it doesn't
It goes yellow because the actual emulsion - oil traditionally - yellows
under ultraviolet light

The decorator said it's teh varnish in gloss paint. Obviously, he's not
an industrial chemist. We were talking about good quality paint - Dulux.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
harry wrote:
On Jul 6, 12:22 pm, GB wrote:
Does gloss paint on woodwork yellow faster than, say, satinwood finish?

It goes yellow because of cheap pigments reacting with the air,

No. it doesn't
It goes yellow because the actual emulsion - oil traditionally - yellows
under ultraviolet light

The decorator said it's teh varnish in gloss paint. Obviously, he's not
an industrial chemist. We were talking about good quality paint - Dulux.

same thing different ways to express it.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

The decorator said it's teh varnish in gloss paint. Obviously, he's not
an industrial chemist. We were talking about good quality paint - Dulux.

I've been using, and recommending Dulux Satinwood Trade for at least the
last year after the fiasco with both Dulux and Crown gloss paint going
yellow after a few months.

I was assured last month that Dulux Trade Gloss has not been affected by
this yellowing for the past 18 months, though any old pots on a shelf
(unlikely in a trade outlet) may still be affected, as well as some
consumer rated Dulux gloss paint in places such as B+Q/Homebase etc.

I'm sticking with Satin anyway, as it is a better paint, mainly as it
doesnt need an undercoat - put it straight on, and it generally is good
after one coat.

So, your Decorator is partly right, in that there has been a problem
with yellowing of gloss paint, but it should be cured now, so long as he
gets the paint from a reputable decorators supplier, preferably a Dulux
or Crown paint depot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 6, 8:00*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
harry wrote:
On Jul 6, 12:22 pm, GB wrote:
Does gloss paint on woodwork yellow faster than, say, satinwood finish?

It goes yellow because of cheap pigments reacting with the air,

No. it doesn't
It goes yellow because the actual emulsion - oil traditionally - yellows
under ultraviolet light

It's there anything you DO know about bar ripping off your neighbours?

and how hard it is to achieve it.

You ever see yellow white lead paint? (When it was used)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On Jul 6, 12:22 pm, GB wrote:
Does gloss paint on woodwork yellow faster than, say, satinwood finish?
It goes yellow because of cheap pigments reacting with the air,

No. it doesn't
It goes yellow because the actual emulsion - oil traditionally - yellows
under ultraviolet light

It's there anything you DO know about bar ripping off your neighbours?

Um, in my experience it goes yellow where it *isn't* exposed to any light.
White skirting boards often go yellow behind furniture.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On Jul 6, 12:22 pm, GB wrote:
Does gloss paint on woodwork yellow faster than, say, satinwood
finish?
It goes yellow because of cheap pigments reacting with the air,

No. it doesn't It goes yellow because the actual emulsion - oil
traditionally - yellows under ultraviolet light

It's there anything you DO know about bar ripping off your neighbours?

Um, in my experience it goes yellow where it *isn't* exposed to any
light.
White skirting boards often go yellow behind furniture.

Tim

I have a can of such stuff here somewhere and it does warn of that effect
(needs light, I expect UV, to keep it white) May be something to do with
TiO pigments but CBATGI(1)

Avpx

(1) Can't be bothered to google it :-)

`key` for gloss paint SS[_2_] UK diy 4 September 11th 12 04:32 PM
Gloss paint [email protected] UK diy 4 December 11th 08 07:12 PM
Screwfix Gloss Paint diy-newby UK diy 5 February 5th 08 08:01 PM
Gah...gloss paint Ben UK diy 24 April 8th 07 08:10 PM
OK to Paint over New Gloss? [email protected] UK diy 1 June 1st 06 11:08 AM