Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Brass finish security screws

I have a brass lion's head screwed to the wall which I guess is worth
£100-200. I would like to buy some security-headed screws with a brass
finish, but I am blowed if I can track any down. Where's a good place to
buy this sort of thing? (BTW, I only need 4 screws.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have a brass lion's head screwed to the wall which I guess is worth
£100-200. I would like to buy some security-headed screws with a brass
finish, but I am blowed if I can track any down. Where's a good place to
buy this sort of thing? (BTW, I only need 4 screws.)

Just use brass Pozi drive screws and drill the centre out!

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 06/07/2012 12:48, Muddymike wrote:
I have a brass lion's head screwed to the wall which I guess is worth
£100-200. I would like to buy some security-headed screws with a brass
finish, but I am blowed if I can track any down. Where's a good place
to buy this sort of thing? (BTW, I only need 4 screws.)

Just use brass Pozi drive screws and drill the centre out!

The idea is to be able to remove it at some stage myself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 6, 1:14*pm, GB wrote:
On 06/07/2012 12:48, Muddymike wrote:

I have a brass lion's head screwed to the wall which I guess is worth
£100-200. I would like to buy some security-headed screws with a brass
finish, but I am blowed if I can track any down. Where's a good place
to buy this sort of thing? (BTW, I only need 4 screws.)

Just use brass Pozi drive screws and drill the centre out!

The idea is to be able to remove it at some stage myself.

Threaded rod into the back of it, fixed from inside the house :-)

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 13:14:14 +0100, GB
wrote:

On 06/07/2012 12:48, Muddymike wrote:
I have a brass lion's head screwed to the wall which I guess is worth
£100-200. I would like to buy some security-headed screws with a brass
finish, but I am blowed if I can track any down. Where's a good place
to buy this sort of thing? (BTW, I only need 4 screws.)

Just use brass Pozi drive screws and drill the centre out!

The idea is to be able to remove it at some stage myself.

Latex mould, make a replica in a pourable resin. Paint with antique
brass paint, gripfill replica to wall.

Keep original indoors

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 13:14:14 +0100, GB wrote:

Just use brass Pozi drive screws and drill the centre out!

The idea is to be able to remove it at some stage myself.

Screw extractors...

Remember if you can remove the screws so can a tea leaf.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
On 06/07/2012 12:48, Muddymike wrote:
I have a brass lion's head screwed to the wall which I guess is worth
£100-200. I would like to buy some security-headed screws with a brass
finish, but I am blowed if I can track any down. Where's a good place
to buy this sort of thing? (BTW, I only need 4 screws.)

Just use brass Pozi drive screws and drill the centre out!

The idea is to be able to remove it at some stage myself.

Like he said. Then if you want to remove it, you just use a
larger drill bit to separate the heads.

Or you could do what some people do with bikes. Paint it
bright pink so nobody would want to nick it.

You and the management would still know it was brass and
was worth £200. Which is all that really matters, after all.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/07/2012 12:48, Muddymike wrote:
I have a brass lion's head screwed to the wall which I guess is worth
£100-200. I would like to buy some security-headed screws with a brass
finish, but I am blowed if I can track any down. Where's a good place
to buy this sort of thing? (BTW, I only need 4 screws.)

Just use brass Pozi drive screws and drill the centre out!

The idea is to be able to remove it at some stage myself.

When that stage arrives just drill some more!

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 6, 6:36*pm, "Muddymike" wrote:
On 06/07/2012 12:48, Muddymike wrote:

I have a brass lion's head screwed to the wall which I guess is worth
£100-200. I would like to buy some security-headed screws with a brass
finish, but I am blowed if I can track any down. Where's a good place
to buy this sort of thing? (BTW, I only need 4 screws.)

Just use brass Pozi drive screws and drill the centre out!

The idea is to be able to remove it at some stage myself.

When that stage arrives just drill some more!

Mike

So, that's all the tealeaf needs to do?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 6, 10:16*am, GB wrote:
I have a brass lion's head screwed to the wall which I guess is worth
£100-200. I would like to buy some security-headed screws with a brass
finish, but I am blowed if I can track any down. Where's a good place to
buy this sort of thing? (BTW, I only need 4 screws.)

Get some brass round head screws. When fixed, fill the slots with
solder.
However well you fix it, it can always be prised off by someone who
just wants the scrap value.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , GB
wrote
I have a brass lion's head screwed to the wall which I guess is worth
£100-200. I would like to buy some security-headed screws with a brass
finish, but I am blowed if I can track any down. Where's a good place
to buy this sort of thing? (BTW, I only need 4 screws.)

A crow bar will remove the lions head in seconds.

--
Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
On 06/07/2012 12:48, Muddymike wrote:
I have a brass lion's head screwed to the wall which I guess is worth
£100-200. I would like to buy some security-headed screws with a brass
finish, but I am blowed if I can track any down. Where's a good place
to buy this sort of thing? (BTW, I only need 4 screws.)

Just use brass Pozi drive screws and drill the centre out!

The idea is to be able to remove it at some stage myself.

Do it the same way as the thieves.. drill it out a bit more and it will fall
off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 6, 10:16*am, GB wrote:
I have a brass lion's head screwed to the wall which I guess is worth
£100-200. I would like to buy some security-headed screws with a brass
finish, but I am blowed if I can track any down. Where's a good place to
buy this sort of thing? (BTW, I only need 4 screws.)

Secure? Fasten it through big lumps at the back. This may involve
brazing to the back of your lion to attach loops, then mortaring in
some hoops of bent rebar.

Moderate security through its screws - go for the biggest you can, buy
bronze ones from a boat chandler (at hilarious prices) with hex or
pozi heads and then munge up the heads after installation with a
drill. To remove eventually, drill their heads out carefully.

Be warned, tea leaves have better cordless drills (and grinders) these
days than you probably do. If they're stealing for scrap, they're also
happy to leave the bolted corners in situ and just steal the middle

Or as our local pub has, a small sign that reads "It's only zinc
potmetal you pricks" beneath their "bronze" fountain.