Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Plating SS Screws with brass

I have a cottage business (www.basscapos.com). I use a truss-head 18-8
SS screw with the project, and spraypaint it gold to try to match the
brass part it fastens. This is weak, I know, but I just can't find any
gold-colored screw that is suitable, and strength is an issue. Does
anyone know of a plating shop that would be well suited to doing a run
of like 500 pieces?
Robobass
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 9, 6:36 pm, "
wrote:
I have a cottage business (www.basscapos.com). I use a truss-head 18-8
SS screw with the project, and spraypaint it gold to try to match the
brass part it fastens. This is weak, I know, but I just can't find any
gold-colored screw that is suitable, and strength is an issue. Does
anyone know of a plating shop that would be well suited to doing a run
of like 500 pieces?
Robobass

How about using brass or bronze screws?

In the proper alloy they can be as strong as 18-8 screws.

Wolfgang
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 10, 12:43 am, wrote:
On Apr 9, 6:36 pm, "

wrote:
I have a cottage business (www.basscapos.com). I use a truss-head 18-8
SS screw with the project, and spraypaint it gold to try to match the
brass part it fastens. This is weak, I know, but I just can't find any
gold-colored screw that is suitable, and strength is an issue. Does
anyone know of a plating shop that would be well suited to doing a run
of like 500 pieces?
Robobass

How about using brass or bronze screws?

In the proper alloy they can be as strong as 18-8 screws.

Wolfgang

Well, I thought I explained that. I can't seem to find a #6x3/4" truss-
head in anything but ss. The geometry is critical to function, so I
can't deviate far from what I'm using now. Also, bronze I can maybe
see (I'm no metallurgist), but is there really any brass alloy that is
close to 18-8 SS in strength? That flies in the face of my instincts
and experience!
Maybe I'm wrong...
Robobass
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 9, 5:58 pm, "
wrote:
On Apr 10, 12:43 am, wrote:

On Apr 9, 6:36 pm, "

wrote:
[...]

Have you considered plating the parts yourself? Look here-
http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/index.html and you might find
something you can plate your SS screws with to match your needs
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
I have a cottage business (www.basscapos.com).
I use a truss-head 18-8
SS screw with the project, and spraypaint it
gold to try to match the
brass part it fastens. This is weak, I know,
but I just can't find any
gold-colored screw that is suitable, and
strength is an issue. Does
anyone know of a plating shop that would be
well suited to doing a run
of like 500 pieces?
Robobass

6-32? or #6 woodscrew? Sheet metal screw?

6-32x1.25 antique bronze finish he
http://www.vibroworld.com/parts/tech9.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You could have the Stainless you want gold color - color treated by heat.
Standard colors are a bronze color.

Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

wrote:
On Apr 10, 12:43 am, wrote:
On Apr 9, 6:36 pm, "

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 18:30:18 -0700 (PDT), Gerry
wrote:

On Apr 9, 5:58 pm, "
wrote:
On Apr 10, 12:43 am, wrote:

On Apr 9, 6:36 pm, "

wrote:
[...]

Caswell's stuff is very good, but I think you could have 500 small
parts plated for less than it would cost to set up to do it. Brush
plating would be inexpensive, but brush-plating 500 parts would be
quite tedious.

The appeal to Caswell's stuff is that once set up, one-off small jobs
cost almost nothing while taking anything, even one bolt, to a
plating shop costs a job minimum that is never less than $50 and
usually more like $100. I'm still using Caswell stuff I bought more
than 5 years ago and have used many times. I had two small
jobs-in-a-bucket today: one zinc and one tin. The zinc job is a
small steel weldment, the tin job is a copper electrical terminal.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 9, 11:27 pm, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:
You could have the Stainless you want gold color - color treated by heat.
Standard colors are a bronze color.

Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.http://lufkinced.com/

wrote:
On Apr 10, 12:43 am, wrote:
On Apr 9, 6:36 pm, "

wrote:
[...]

Hadn't thought of that... And the user can try this out himself with
a propane or MAPP gas torch. Nice.

Wolfgang
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It is around 300 or 350F that bronze occurs IIRC.

Might run small lot test cases. Might be well worth the effort.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

wrote:
You could have the Stainless you want gold color - color treated by heat.
Standard colors are a bronze color.

Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

wrote:
On Apr 10, 12:43 am, wrote:
On Apr 9, 6:36 pm, "
wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
It is around 300 or 350F that bronze occurs IIRC.

I think the temper colour is more like 480F to 500F for a bronze but
that is carbon steel. I have read that the temper colours occur about
100C higher on stainless steel so some trials might be required and an
accurate temperature controlled furnace would help.

wrote:
You could have the Stainless you want gold color - color treated by
heat.
Standard colors are a bronze color.

Martin
Martin H. Eastburn
@ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated
dot net
http://lufkinced.com/

wrote:
On Apr 10, 12:43 am, wrote:
On Apr 9, 6:36 pm, "
wrote:
[...]
----== Posted via Pronews.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet
News==----http://www.pronews.comThe #1 Newsgroup Service in the
World! 100,000 Newsgroups

Hadn't thought of that... And the user can try this out himself with
a propane or MAPP gas torch. Nice.

Wolfgang

News==----
http://www.pronews.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 100,000
Newsgroups

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gerry" wrote in message
Well, I thought I explained that. I can't seem to find a #6x3/4" truss-
head in anything but ss. The geometry is critical to function, so I
can't deviate far from what I'm using now. Also, bronze I can maybe
see (I'm no metallurgist), but is there really any brass alloy that is
close to 18-8 SS in strength? That flies in the face of my instincts
and experience!
Maybe I'm wrong...
Robobass

If you need strength, avoid 6-32 screws. This thread is bad because too
much of the diameter of the screw is lost with such a course thread.

Have you considered plating the parts yourself? Look here-
http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/index.html and you might find
something you can plate your SS screws with to match your needs

On plating, I think zinc chromate gives you a nice brassy color (Think
Japanese car parts.).

--
Roger Shoaf

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 22:06:41 -0700, "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

"Gerry" wrote in message
[...]

Zinc chromate typically goes on zinc, not on stainless. If the screws
in question are available as bright zinc on steel, it's very easy to
chromate them so they look a lot like brass. It's just a dunk in some
juice for a few minutes. The juice is available from Caswell.

6-32 x 3/4 zinc-plated truss head screws are available from
http://www.boltdepot.com/product.asp...26&cm=7&cd=393
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sorry I was unclear. The screw is a truss head sheet metal screw #6 x
3/4" 18-8ss. I've been searching a long time, and never found it in
gold color. I will try the heat idea. I've got a butane mini torch.
But, won't it loose strength if I heat it that much? It really needs
to be fairly strong. I did have a plating rig years ago. Maybe I'll
get another one. Trouble is, I'm in Germany now. You can't just go out
and buy toxic chemicals the way you can in the US. (I bet it's getting
harder there too. I've heard of high school science teachers being
arrested for trying to order stuff to do classroom experiments that
they had been doing for decades!)
Robobass
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 15:36:56 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:
but I just can't find any gold-colored screw that is suitable, and strength is an issue.

Would TiN coating be a close enough colour match? Think coated carbide
inserts...

A better class of cutter regrinding shop would have the facilities to do the
work.

Mark Rand
RTFM