Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Flexible plastic edging strip

For reasons far too improbable to bore you with, I have a sheet of 18mm MDF,
approximately 22" x 18", with rounded corner and a few other curves as well.
Dreadful freehand sketch:

http://tinyurl.com/c9gf7pa

I want to edge this with, ideally, a plastic strip. But whatever the
edging, it has to be proud of the top surface by about 10mm and be strong
enough for that exposed strip not to be easily damaged or distorted when the
construction is handled: the whole thing will be a bit like a large and
oddly-shaped tray, and in fact, the sort of edging used on some trays would
be ideal.

Can anyone suggest a source for such a material? I have some PVC cloaking
strip, as used round the edges of windows and the like, but it isn't
flexible enough for the small diameter corners and the reverse curves. What
would be and where can I get some?

Many thanks.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well, for once I can answer my own question. Just back from a last-minute
trip to Wickes for something else entirely, and there I found pretty much
exactly what I needed. Flat PVC strip 2mm thick x 24mm wide (OK I had to
settle for less than 10mm proud) and flexible enough to bend around most of
the curves, especially with a bit of a dunk in boiling water beforehand.

My local Wickes always gives the impression that it's on its last legs, with
hardly any staff and even fewer customers, but they have better stocks of
stuff like PVC cladding and clocking strips than anywhere else around. I
hope they're doing OK.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/07/2012 21:38, Bert Coules wrote:
Well, for once I can answer my own question. Just back from a
last-minute trip to Wickes for something else entirely, and there I
found pretty much exactly what I needed. Flat PVC strip 2mm thick x
24mm wide (OK I had to settle for less than 10mm proud) and flexible
enough to bend around most of the curves, especially with a bit of a
dunk in boiling water beforehand.

My local Wickes always gives the impression that it's on its last legs,
with hardly any staff and even fewer customers, but they have better
stocks of stuff like PVC cladding and clocking strips than anywhere else
around. I hope they're doing OK.

Bert

I was going to say would aluminium be an option, but glad you are sorted.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote:

I was going to say would aluminium be an option...

That would have been an interesting chioce, actually, and one I hadn't
thought of. But I'm pleased with the plastic.

...but glad you are sorted.

Thanks.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RMW RMW is offline

replying to Bert Coules, RMW wrote:
I am looking for something very similar. I want to make a lip around the
edges of a circular Lazy Susan turntable, 33" diameter, 1/2" thick plywood.
I realize the original posting by Bert Coules is over 4 years old, but this is
exactly relevant to my search. Bert, if you are still subscribed to this
thread, please let me know more details! Thanks.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...ip-818135-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've no idea if "RMW" will see a reply posted solely on the Usenet group,
but just in case...

My local Wickes still carries a varied stock of PVC trimming strips and the
like, so I suggest that chain as a first port of call. Good luck.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RMW RMW is offline

replying to Bert Coules, RMW wrote:
Yes, Bert, I did get notification of your reply! Many of the Wickes stores
here in USA have closed, but my internet search of "PVC trimming strips" led
me to a Home Depot building supply of Royal Mouldings #6510 PVC Composite
White Lattice Moulding. It is 1/4" x 1 3/4" (6mm x 44mm) 8 feet long. I
think it will be flexible enough. Your idea of warming it should help soften
it. I'll use my wife's hair dryer. I plan to hold the strip to the edge of
the plywood with flat head wood screws thru holes I drill and countersink in
the plastic strip.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...ip-818135-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 4 July 2012 18:44:55 UTC+1, Bert Coules wrote:
[...]

The term to Google is "hockey stick section extrusion".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The problems occur at the join normally, I find it either comes away there,
or shrinks back leaving a notch.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Bert Coules" wrote in message
I've no idea if "RMW" will see a reply posted solely on the Usenet group,
but just in case...

My local Wickes still carries a varied stock of PVC trimming strips and
the like, so I suggest that chain as a first port of call. Good luck.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RMW, that sounds as though it should word, though watch out for the join, as
Brian says. Good luck.

Edging strip billy1 UK diy 3 June 27th 07 08:16 AM
How to fit plastic edging strip to ceramic wall tiles? Eric The Viking UK diy 8 August 4th 05 07:52 PM
Black plastic edging strip Roger UK diy 3 April 12th 05 11:47 AM
Worktop Edging Strip - where can I get it. Kevin UK diy 5 June 11th 04 09:45 AM
Chrome tile edging strip. Dave Plowman UK diy 1 July 13th 03 11:55 AM